Newsmaker: Robert L. Maher Jr.
Family: Wife, Kristen; daughter, Abigail; son, Robert
Education: Bachelor of Science in pharmacy, University of Pittsburgh, 1993; doctorate in pharmacy, University of Pittsburgh, 1997
Background: After being drawn into pharmacy through his father's store, Patton Pharmacy outside Altoona, Maher earned his license and worked in community pharmacies for two years before going back to Pitt for his doctorate. He first became interested in teaching while doing a residency in geriatric pharmacy in Durham, N.C., and took a job teaching at Duquesne University in 1998.
Notable: Maher was recognized this month as the Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association's 2010 "Preceptor of the Year." As a preceptor, Maher takes sixth-year pharmacy students to his father's pharmacy or to branches of the Klingensmith Drug Stores throughout the region so they can do five-week rotations and apply their schooling to real-world situations like identifying drug interactions, offering patient counseling and pre-screening for health issues such as high blood pressure or diabetes.
Quote: "We're teaching them to be members of the community, to be members of a larger medical team."
Add Matthew Santoni to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- For Steelers outside linebacker Jones, size is not an obstacle
- Attorney General drops charges against ‘upper-level’ heroin dealers
- Pirates top Cardinals, 5-2, on Davis’ homer; Alvarez, McCutchen hurt
- Steelers cornerbacks Allen, Gay, Taylor have something to prove
- Steelers notebook: Team cuts 15 players, including LB So’oto, RB Hall
- Girl accidentally kills Arizona gun instructor with Uzi
- Pittsburgh paramedics treat 38 people at Stage AE concert
- Indiana County township ‘afraid for the water’ fights waste well
- Mystery continues to surround Hill District slaying
- Parade of Mustangs to kick off Connellsville’s Mum Festival
- Dem Wolf eyes shale’s ‘golden egg’ to boost school funding