Newsmaker: Robert L. Maher Jr.
Family: Wife, Kristen; daughter, Abigail; son, Robert
Education: Bachelor of Science in pharmacy, University of Pittsburgh, 1993; doctorate in pharmacy, University of Pittsburgh, 1997
Background: After being drawn into pharmacy through his father's store, Patton Pharmacy outside Altoona, Maher earned his license and worked in community pharmacies for two years before going back to Pitt for his doctorate. He first became interested in teaching while doing a residency in geriatric pharmacy in Durham, N.C., and took a job teaching at Duquesne University in 1998.
Notable: Maher was recognized this month as the Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association's 2010 "Preceptor of the Year." As a preceptor, Maher takes sixth-year pharmacy students to his father's pharmacy or to branches of the Klingensmith Drug Stores throughout the region so they can do five-week rotations and apply their schooling to real-world situations like identifying drug interactions, offering patient counseling and pre-screening for health issues such as high blood pressure or diabetes.
Quote: "We're teaching them to be members of the community, to be members of a larger medical team."
Add Matthew Santoni to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Captured: Manhunt ends for Pa. trooper ambush suspect Frein
- Veteran LB Harrison: Steelers must play to way defense is set up
- Pirates likely to seek pitcher, catcher when free agency starts
- 5 Cal U football players arrested for assault; Saturday’s game canceled
- Fleury, Penguins too much for Kings
- Steelers notebook: Fully healthy, rookie WR Bryant progressing fast
- Hackers’ new Dyre malware infects W.Pa. computers, vexes FBI cyber agents
- Rossi: The best Penguins defense is ... a potent offense
- Emaciated Lab-collie mix found in garbage bag in New Stanton
- ‘Big play’ moniker fits veteran Steelers cornerback Gay
- Police: Man wanted in fatal ambush of Pennsylvania trooper finally captured