Newsmaker: Robert L. Maher Jr.
Family: Wife, Kristen; daughter, Abigail; son, Robert
Education: Bachelor of Science in pharmacy, University of Pittsburgh, 1993; doctorate in pharmacy, University of Pittsburgh, 1997
Background: After being drawn into pharmacy through his father's store, Patton Pharmacy outside Altoona, Maher earned his license and worked in community pharmacies for two years before going back to Pitt for his doctorate. He first became interested in teaching while doing a residency in geriatric pharmacy in Durham, N.C., and took a job teaching at Duquesne University in 1998.
Notable: Maher was recognized this month as the Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association's 2010 "Preceptor of the Year." As a preceptor, Maher takes sixth-year pharmacy students to his father's pharmacy or to branches of the Klingensmith Drug Stores throughout the region so they can do five-week rotations and apply their schooling to real-world situations like identifying drug interactions, offering patient counseling and pre-screening for health issues such as high blood pressure or diabetes.
Quote: "We're teaching them to be members of the community, to be members of a larger medical team."
Add Matthew Santoni to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins trade Sutter to Canucks, sign free agent center Fehr
- Brady’s suspension upheld by Goodell
- Five Baldwin men face trial for severely beating black man
- Videos spur dozens to protest outside Pittsburgh Planned Parenthood
- Steelers RB Archer trying to catch up after tough rookie season
- Bloomfield Bridge lanes to be closed starting Wednesday
- Judge lets New Kensington Ten Commandments monument stand
- Inside the Steelers: Ventrone suffers right ankle injury
- U.S. Steel joins major producers in new dumping complaint
- Indiana County hazmat crews treat nearly two dozen workers for cadmium exposure at Homer City plant
- Remains of 4 early colonial leaders discovered at Jamestown