Newsmaker: Sister Mary Paul Hickey
Occupation: Director of Carlow University's Campus School Alumni Association
Education: Bachelor's degree in education from Carlow University in 1951; master's degree in education from Duquesne University in 1955; doctorate in education from Fordham University in New York in 1962
Background: Hickey founded The Campus School of Carlow University in 1963. She served as an elementary school teacher and principal there and was the director of the Carlow College Reading Clinic for several years. She served as the director of the Carlow Department of Education.
Noteworthy: She will be awarded an honorary doctorate degree from Carlow University today at the college's commencement ceremony in the Rosemary Heyl Theatre on the Carlow Campus as an acknowledgement of her years of service to the students.
Quote: "I was quite surprised. I never expected anything like this. I hung up my cap and gown many years ago, and I figured that was it."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Predators GM Poile: Penguins’ firing of Shero not fair
- Revised Butler Township rules won’t apply to Krendale Golf Course drilling
- Fay-West food banks feeling hunger pains
- Plan calls for closing all Butler city elementary schools
- New software expected to help Butler County collect fees
- Linebacker Harrison coming along slowly since return to Steelers
- Voting reform pressed as money-saver for Butler County
- Pirates acquire infielder from Indians, designate Axford, Gomez for assignment
- Masontown bakery owner hopes for recipe for success
- Drivers beware: Time is ripe for deer-related crashes
- New office manager touts Greater Connellsville Chamber