Newsmaker: Sister Mary Paul Hickey
Occupation: Director of Carlow University's Campus School Alumni Association
Education: Bachelor's degree in education from Carlow University in 1951; master's degree in education from Duquesne University in 1955; doctorate in education from Fordham University in New York in 1962
Background: Hickey founded The Campus School of Carlow University in 1963. She served as an elementary school teacher and principal there and was the director of the Carlow College Reading Clinic for several years. She served as the director of the Carlow Department of Education.
Noteworthy: She will be awarded an honorary doctorate degree from Carlow University today at the college's commencement ceremony in the Rosemary Heyl Theatre on the Carlow Campus as an acknowledgement of her years of service to the students.
Quote: "I was quite surprised. I never expected anything like this. I hung up my cap and gown many years ago, and I figured that was it."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Rutherford falling apart, too
- Full basketball court to return to White Oak playground
- Liberty asks diocese not to close church
- Cubs’ rookie third baseman Bryant helps send Pirates to defeat
- Rangers clip Penguins, take 2-1 series lead
- LaBar: WWE bans finishing move of top star
- Steelers receiver Brown skipping voluntary offseason workouts
- Avonmore man jailed on charges of stealing three cars Sunday
- Mon-Yough authorities investigate heroin, Fentanyl overdoses
- Interior linemen replace flash with experience for this year’s NFL Draft
- Scoring struggles linger for Penguins 2nd line