Newsmaker: Sister Mary Paul Hickey
Occupation: Director of Carlow University's Campus School Alumni Association
Education: Bachelor's degree in education from Carlow University in 1951; master's degree in education from Duquesne University in 1955; doctorate in education from Fordham University in New York in 1962
Background: Hickey founded The Campus School of Carlow University in 1963. She served as an elementary school teacher and principal there and was the director of the Carlow College Reading Clinic for several years. She served as the director of the Carlow Department of Education.
Noteworthy: She will be awarded an honorary doctorate degree from Carlow University today at the college's commencement ceremony in the Rosemary Heyl Theatre on the Carlow Campus as an acknowledgement of her years of service to the students.
Quote: "I was quite surprised. I never expected anything like this. I hung up my cap and gown many years ago, and I figured that was it."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Nearing season’s midpoint, Steelers still have issues to sort out
- Rossi: Fleury is, and will remain, Penguins’ soul
- Ross brothers ordered to pay fine, remove debris from Christmas display
- Testing legs, giving backup goalie a chance are Penguins’ priorities
- Police seize phones of some Norwin High School students
- Justice blames feud for his ouster; chief of court admits he did seek to remove him
- Steelers film session: Watt kept under control
- Penguins notebook: Newcomers get 1st taste of rivalry with Flyers
- Social Security benefits to go up by 1.7 percent
- Calgon Carbon poised for explosive growth
- Injured Pitt center Rowell plays well-rounded role on campus