Newsmaker: Sister Mary Paul Hickey
Occupation: Director of Carlow University's Campus School Alumni Association
Education: Bachelor's degree in education from Carlow University in 1951; master's degree in education from Duquesne University in 1955; doctorate in education from Fordham University in New York in 1962
Background: Hickey founded The Campus School of Carlow University in 1963. She served as an elementary school teacher and principal there and was the director of the Carlow College Reading Clinic for several years. She served as the director of the Carlow Department of Education.
Noteworthy: She will be awarded an honorary doctorate degree from Carlow University today at the college's commencement ceremony in the Rosemary Heyl Theatre on the Carlow Campus as an acknowledgement of her years of service to the students.
Quote: "I was quite surprised. I never expected anything like this. I hung up my cap and gown many years ago, and I figured that was it."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Elsie Hillman, philanthropist and one-time GOP powerhouse, dies at 89
- Steelers defensive end Tuitt shifts into high gear
- Groups appeal Shell air permit for Beaver County project
- Pittsburgh officials unveil major changes to police response to violent crime
- Baldwin Borough man pleads guilty in white supremacist bombs case
- Delphi buys CMU spinoff that makes self-driving car software
- Uniontown man sentenced to 30 months for threatening Obama and his family
- Man accused in crash that killed Export driver rejects plea offer
- Rossi: Pirates foolish to bet on Burnett return
- Westmoreland Co. businessman going to prison
- One man dead in McKees Rocks shooting