Newsmaker: Sister Mary Paul Hickey
Occupation: Director of Carlow University's Campus School Alumni Association
Education: Bachelor's degree in education from Carlow University in 1951; master's degree in education from Duquesne University in 1955; doctorate in education from Fordham University in New York in 1962
Background: Hickey founded The Campus School of Carlow University in 1963. She served as an elementary school teacher and principal there and was the director of the Carlow College Reading Clinic for several years. She served as the director of the Carlow Department of Education.
Noteworthy: She will be awarded an honorary doctorate degree from Carlow University today at the college's commencement ceremony in the Rosemary Heyl Theatre on the Carlow Campus as an acknowledgement of her years of service to the students.
Quote: "I was quite surprised. I never expected anything like this. I hung up my cap and gown many years ago, and I figured that was it."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates lose on late Cardinals rally
- Detained Americans plead U.S. for assistance
- President’s Labor Day appearance heavy on politicking
- Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Pressure on European Central Bank grows as economic recovery founders
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Democratic gubernatorial nominee in spotlight at Labor Day Parade
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season