Newsmaker: Sister Mary Paul Hickey
Occupation: Director of Carlow University's Campus School Alumni Association
Education: Bachelor's degree in education from Carlow University in 1951; master's degree in education from Duquesne University in 1955; doctorate in education from Fordham University in New York in 1962
Background: Hickey founded The Campus School of Carlow University in 1963. She served as an elementary school teacher and principal there and was the director of the Carlow College Reading Clinic for several years. She served as the director of the Carlow Department of Education.
Noteworthy: She will be awarded an honorary doctorate degree from Carlow University today at the college's commencement ceremony in the Rosemary Heyl Theatre on the Carlow Campus as an acknowledgement of her years of service to the students.
Quote: "I was quite surprised. I never expected anything like this. I hung up my cap and gown many years ago, and I figured that was it."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings
- Starkey: Chryst a miserable failure at Pitt
- Pouliot scores in NHL debut as Penguins tame Panthers
- Steelers’ Bell, Chiefs’ Charles elevating running back position in NFL
- Pitt players support Rudolph for job
- South Fayette football team distributes Steelers tickets to Carlynton, Wilkinsburg
- Pitt football fights to overcome steppingstone status
- Penn State wins 2nd straight women’s volleyball title
- Minor league report: Other prospects on Penguins’ radar
- Pair of NYC officers killed in ambush shooting
- Chiefs game-plan play that suits speedy rookie Thomas’ talents