Newsmaker: Sister Mary Paul Hickey
Occupation: Director of Carlow University's Campus School Alumni Association
Education: Bachelor's degree in education from Carlow University in 1951; master's degree in education from Duquesne University in 1955; doctorate in education from Fordham University in New York in 1962
Background: Hickey founded The Campus School of Carlow University in 1963. She served as an elementary school teacher and principal there and was the director of the Carlow College Reading Clinic for several years. She served as the director of the Carlow Department of Education.
Noteworthy: She will be awarded an honorary doctorate degree from Carlow University today at the college's commencement ceremony in the Rosemary Heyl Theatre on the Carlow Campus as an acknowledgement of her years of service to the students.
Quote: "I was quite surprised. I never expected anything like this. I hung up my cap and gown many years ago, and I figured that was it."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Rutherford shines as old boss pouts
- Crane tips over, smashes into roof of building at Pitt
- ‘Boyz of Zummer’ Wiz Khalifa, Fall-Out Boy light it up at First Niagara
- LaBar: What’s killing professional wrestling
- Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Tigers
- Former Jeannette coach held for trial on charges of assault on teen girls
- Young Nebraska girl’s organs give 2 Pittsburgh-area boys a chance to live
- Hurricanes owner rips Rutherford, Penguins
- Death toll from capsized Philippine ferry rises to 50
- Penguins’ Kessel ‘thrilled’ with chance to play with Crosby, Malkin
- Shaken by economic, political turmoil, MLB forsaking Venezuela