Newsmaker: Sister Mary Paul Hickey
Occupation: Director of Carlow University's Campus School Alumni Association
Education: Bachelor's degree in education from Carlow University in 1951; master's degree in education from Duquesne University in 1955; doctorate in education from Fordham University in New York in 1962
Background: Hickey founded The Campus School of Carlow University in 1963. She served as an elementary school teacher and principal there and was the director of the Carlow College Reading Clinic for several years. She served as the director of the Carlow Department of Education.
Noteworthy: She will be awarded an honorary doctorate degree from Carlow University today at the college's commencement ceremony in the Rosemary Heyl Theatre on the Carlow Campus as an acknowledgement of her years of service to the students.
Quote: "I was quite surprised. I never expected anything like this. I hung up my cap and gown many years ago, and I figured that was it."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Winter weather advisory for Western Pa. in effect until Monday afternoon
- Defensive lineman commits to PSU during campus visit
- Crosby, Malkin dazzle fellow All-Stars
- Starkey: Rinaldo doesn’t belong in NHL
- Woman killed in Washington Township crash
- Increasing pressure on QBs will be offseason focus for Steelers
- Paying cost of attendance worries Power 5 schools large and small
- Long-term solution for wastewater disposal eludes shale gas industry
- ‘I almost left here’ says Highland Park woman who contracted flesh-eating bacteria
- Classes increasingly blend in technology in Western Pa. schools
- Lure of tuition aid, gifts draw college students to ‘sugar daddy’ sites