Newsmaker: William Wagner
Residence : Pine
Age : 46
Family : Wife; two sons
Education : Bachelor's degree in chemical engineering, Johns Hopkins University, 1986; doctorate in chemical engineering, University of Texas, Austin, 1991
Occupation : Professor of surgery, bioengineering and chemical engineering in the University of Pittsburgh's Swanson School of Engineering and deputy director of Pitt's McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine
Background : Wagner is known for developing technology to treat and diagnose cardiovascular disease, particularly devices that help patients during heart failure. He is principal investigator for an $18.5 million National Science Foundation biomaterials project in collaboration with North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University and the University of Cincinnati.
Noteworthy : Honored with Society for Biomaterials' 2011 Clemson Award for Applied Research, which recognizes the application of basic science to a significant accomplishment in biomaterials.
Quote : "Back in Texas, I was sitting in a room and reading about these things, not understanding the words, let alone seeing a condition. Here, surgeons literally took me in the operating room and on rounds and let me understand the current standard of care. As a biomedical engineer, you need to be close to or in a medical center, and that is what the university here has done so well putting me and other engineers in clinical positions."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Healthy safety Mitchell is eager for 2nd season with Steelers
- Knoch secures 1st WPIAL title by defeating defending champion West Allegheny
- Late goal gives Riverhounds victory over Tampa Bay in U.S. Open Cup
- Emergency crews search Youghiogheny River in Layton for Charleroi man
- One man found dead when fire sweeps through South Fayette apartment
- NFL notebook: Vikings coach delivers ultimatum to Peterson
- Pirates use big 7th inning to sweep Marlins, stretch winning streak to 6
- Plum teacher, held for trial, vows to fight witness intimidation charge
- Central Catholic downs Norwin to win 1st WPIAL baseball title
- Steelers notebook: Blake gets outside shot in nickel
- Ex-Blackhawk star pitcher McKay thriving on mound at Louisville