Newsmaker: William Wagner
Residence : Pine
Age : 46
Family : Wife; two sons
Education : Bachelor's degree in chemical engineering, Johns Hopkins University, 1986; doctorate in chemical engineering, University of Texas, Austin, 1991
Occupation : Professor of surgery, bioengineering and chemical engineering in the University of Pittsburgh's Swanson School of Engineering and deputy director of Pitt's McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine
Background : Wagner is known for developing technology to treat and diagnose cardiovascular disease, particularly devices that help patients during heart failure. He is principal investigator for an $18.5 million National Science Foundation biomaterials project in collaboration with North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University and the University of Cincinnati.
Noteworthy : Honored with Society for Biomaterials' 2011 Clemson Award for Applied Research, which recognizes the application of basic science to a significant accomplishment in biomaterials.
Quote : "Back in Texas, I was sitting in a room and reading about these things, not understanding the words, let alone seeing a condition. Here, surgeons literally took me in the operating room and on rounds and let me understand the current standard of care. As a biomedical engineer, you need to be close to or in a medical center, and that is what the university here has done so well putting me and other engineers in clinical positions."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Allegheny County public works director leaves job
- Beaver DA believes girls might have lived had dad responded faster
- Rossi: Johnston must reach Malkin in Moscow
- Steelers are in familiar territory going into training camp in Latrobe
- Man tries to lure teen into white van in Hempfield, police report
- Retail theft attempt turns violent in Monroeville store parking lot
- Uber, Lyft get tentative PUC permission to operate in Allegheny County
- New Penguins coach to meet with Malkin
- Interest high for Heinz Field soccer match between top Euro teams
- Gateway School District gets a little more clear on backpack policy
- Beaver County deputy ordered to stand trial for obstruction, false swearing