Newsmaker: Jeffry Madura
Noteworthy : Madura was named an American Chemical Society Fellow for his contributions to science and years of service to the society. He is among 213 scientists from around the world to receive the honor in 2011.
Residence : Pleasant Hills
Age : 54
Family : Wife, Colleen; and two sons, Brandon, 21, and Peyton, 15.
Education : He has a bachelor's degree from Thiel College in Greenville and a doctorate from Purdue University in West Lafayette, Ind.
Occupation : Madura is a professor of physical and computational chemistry at Duquesne University.
Background : Madura chaired Duquesne University's Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry from 2000-2010; was named to Duquesne's Office of Research Hall of Fame in 2008; awarded Duquesne's President's Award for Excellence in Scholarship in 2007; and chaired the Gordon Research Conferences in 1998.
Quote : "I was honored and excited to be considered an ACS Fellow. It's nice to be recognized for what I've done for the ACS as well as for science."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Brookline 12-year-old crashes mother’s car
- NFL coaches weigh in on Polamalu’s legacy
- Pirates’ outfield may have few defensive peers
- Owner of Penn Hills tombstone business pleads guilty to swindling the bereaved
- Penguins’ Letang leaves hospital, out with concussion
- Penguins slip past Sharks, 3-2, in shootout
- Hempfield infant fights rare disease
- Reports say 1 dead at Fort Meade gate crashing
- LaBar: WrestleMania 31 one of the best ever
- Crash, downed utility pole block intersection in Bridgeville
- Starkey: Next frontier for Steelers offense