Newsmaker: Dr. Jon F. Watchko
Noteworthy: Watchko was recognized in October as the 2011 Medical Honoree by the March of Dimes at the organization's Signature Chefs Auction of Pittsburgh in appreciation of research and clinical work during the past 25 years to enhance the care of newborns.
Residence: Franklin Park
Family: Wife, Susan; daughter, Sara
Occupation: Watchko is a member of the UPMC Newborn Medicine Program at Children's Hospital and Magee-Womens Hospital. He is a professor of pediatrics and of obstetrics, gynecology and reproductive sciences at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. He is a senior scientist at the Magee-Womens Research Institute.
Education: Watchko received his medical degree from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. He completed his internship and residency in pediatrics at the State University of New York Upstate Medical Center in Syracuse, N.Y. He completed a fellowship in neonatal-perinatal medicine at the University of Washington in Seattle.
Quote: "It is special to be recognized by the March of Dimes, a vitally important organization with whom I share a keen interest in neonatal research and in enhancing the care and outcomes of sick newborns."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 71-year-old among 2 charged in several Pittsburgh area burglaries
- Four issues that the Steelers need to take care of in September
- Pitt well-stocked along offensive line
- BVA assistant enjoys ‘special’ part of game
- Leader Times roundup: West Shamokin volleyball team wins 1st match in Class AA
- Playoff losses motivate West Mifflin boys soccer
- Bell Township museum delighted to receive WWI uniform of prominent native son
- Rams cruise as soccer launches section play
- Pair share love of dance with youths in Fayette, Westmoreland
- Principals question role of test scores in new evaluation process
- Norwegian sails into luxury with Prestige purchase