Newsmaker: Edward Kocher
Noteworthy: Kocher was re-elected to a three-year term on the National Association of Schools of Music's Commission on Accreditation, an organization that establishes standards for undergraduate and graduate degrees.
Residence: Mt. Lebanon
Family: Wife, Kamie Schoonhoven; daughter, Robyn; son, Ted, 29
Occupation: Dean and professor at Duquesne University's Mary Pappert School of Music
Background: Before joining Duquesne in 2000 as dean of the music school, Kocher served for 20 years as professor, department chair and associate dean of the music school at DePaul University. He is a professional trombonist and has performed with the Mannheim Steamrollers, Chicago Symphony and Chicago Lyric Opera. He has performed locally with the Emmy Award-winning MCG Jazz.
Education: Bachelor's degree in music education from Northwestern University; master of arts in trombone from the University of Iowa; doctorate in public policy analysis-education from the University of Illinois at Chicago
Quote: "It's an honor to serve Duquesne University as part of the national conversation about the future of music education."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Shareholder vote causes ATI to review executive pay packages
- Lowly job likely awaits former Pittsburgh police chief after prison
- Fox Chapel, Ambridge capture WPIAL volleyball titles
- Islamic State claims suicide blast in Saudi mosque
- ‘Dope sick’ man in custody in Mt. Pleasant stick-up
- Gorman: Obama Academy boys volleyball leads way for City League in WPIAL
- Dunbar Township MedExpress plans open house for Tuesday
- Monessen man faces trial in shooting
- Vanderbilt council addresses abandoned homes, parking
- Cole outduels Mets rookie, carries Pirates to victory
- Woodland Hills’ Brooks eyes PIAA prize in long jump after strong triple jump showing