Newsmaker: Edward Kocher
Noteworthy: Kocher was re-elected to a three-year term on the National Association of Schools of Music's Commission on Accreditation, an organization that establishes standards for undergraduate and graduate degrees.
Residence: Mt. Lebanon
Family: Wife, Kamie Schoonhoven; daughter, Robyn; son, Ted, 29
Occupation: Dean and professor at Duquesne University's Mary Pappert School of Music
Background: Before joining Duquesne in 2000 as dean of the music school, Kocher served for 20 years as professor, department chair and associate dean of the music school at DePaul University. He is a professional trombonist and has performed with the Mannheim Steamrollers, Chicago Symphony and Chicago Lyric Opera. He has performed locally with the Emmy Award-winning MCG Jazz.
Education: Bachelor's degree in music education from Northwestern University; master of arts in trombone from the University of Iowa; doctorate in public policy analysis-education from the University of Illinois at Chicago
Quote: "It's an honor to serve Duquesne University as part of the national conversation about the future of music education."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates can’t waste McCutchen’s prime
- East Huntingdon man dies following police chase
- Giants, Bumgarner shut out Pirates in wild-card game
- Pirates’ Martin calls crowd chant ‘petty special’
- Steelers pressing to create opportunities to get to quarterback
- Consol Energy cutting retiree health benefits, phasing out pension
- Highmark to increase premiums, limit access to health care in new plans
- Steelers notebook: Mitchell aware of need to reduce penalties
- Woman dies in fall at McConnells Mill State Park
- Search for pilot of ultralight aircraft to resume Thursday
- Penguins’ Sutter is determined to keep scoring pressure on