Newsmaker: Edward Kocher
Noteworthy: Kocher was re-elected to a three-year term on the National Association of Schools of Music's Commission on Accreditation, an organization that establishes standards for undergraduate and graduate degrees.
Residence: Mt. Lebanon
Family: Wife, Kamie Schoonhoven; daughter, Robyn; son, Ted, 29
Occupation: Dean and professor at Duquesne University's Mary Pappert School of Music
Background: Before joining Duquesne in 2000 as dean of the music school, Kocher served for 20 years as professor, department chair and associate dean of the music school at DePaul University. He is a professional trombonist and has performed with the Mannheim Steamrollers, Chicago Symphony and Chicago Lyric Opera. He has performed locally with the Emmy Award-winning MCG Jazz.
Education: Bachelor's degree in music education from Northwestern University; master of arts in trombone from the University of Iowa; doctorate in public policy analysis-education from the University of Illinois at Chicago
Quote: "It's an honor to serve Duquesne University as part of the national conversation about the future of music education."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Early turnout strong for Pittsburgh’s Fourth of July festivities
- New Penguin Kessel’s shot is what makes him special
- Russian winger Plotnikov could join Penguins in August
- Tiny black weevils booming in W.Pa.
- Ex-teammates say Kessel unfairly criticized
- Pirates notebook: Taillon headed for surgery, Richard traded
- Bethel trio of siblings celebrate 150 years of marriage
- McCandless church to mark July 4 with Civil War drama
- Fun-seekers won’t let a Pittsburgh regatta without races get them down
- Police seek tips in Sheraden robbery caught on video
- America’s path to freedom reflected in region’s numerous historic sites