Newsmaker: Edward Kocher
Noteworthy: Kocher was re-elected to a three-year term on the National Association of Schools of Music's Commission on Accreditation, an organization that establishes standards for undergraduate and graduate degrees.
Residence: Mt. Lebanon
Family: Wife, Kamie Schoonhoven; daughter, Robyn; son, Ted, 29
Occupation: Dean and professor at Duquesne University's Mary Pappert School of Music
Background: Before joining Duquesne in 2000 as dean of the music school, Kocher served for 20 years as professor, department chair and associate dean of the music school at DePaul University. He is a professional trombonist and has performed with the Mannheim Steamrollers, Chicago Symphony and Chicago Lyric Opera. He has performed locally with the Emmy Award-winning MCG Jazz.
Education: Bachelor's degree in music education from Northwestern University; master of arts in trombone from the University of Iowa; doctorate in public policy analysis-education from the University of Illinois at Chicago
Quote: "It's an honor to serve Duquesne University as part of the national conversation about the future of music education."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Former Steelers linebacker Harrison retires
- 90,000 people could hit the North Shore for games, ribs
- Outbound 376 reopened after man on exit sign caused closure
- Pitt presents Web resource to combat OD deaths
- Veteran Keisel settles into role with Steelers
- Steelers claim former Cowboys cornerback Webb
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench
- Harrison shines again as Pirates clip Reds, 2-1
- High school roundup: Greensburg Salem shocks Gateway in opener
- Franklin Regional security guard fighting to get job back
- Knoch’s 3rd-quarter surge leads to victory over Franklin Regional