Newsmaker: Edward Kocher
Noteworthy: Kocher was re-elected to a three-year term on the National Association of Schools of Music's Commission on Accreditation, an organization that establishes standards for undergraduate and graduate degrees.
Residence: Mt. Lebanon
Family: Wife, Kamie Schoonhoven; daughter, Robyn; son, Ted, 29
Occupation: Dean and professor at Duquesne University's Mary Pappert School of Music
Background: Before joining Duquesne in 2000 as dean of the music school, Kocher served for 20 years as professor, department chair and associate dean of the music school at DePaul University. He is a professional trombonist and has performed with the Mannheim Steamrollers, Chicago Symphony and Chicago Lyric Opera. He has performed locally with the Emmy Award-winning MCG Jazz.
Education: Bachelor's degree in music education from Northwestern University; master of arts in trombone from the University of Iowa; doctorate in public policy analysis-education from the University of Illinois at Chicago
Quote: "It's an honor to serve Duquesne University as part of the national conversation about the future of music education."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Pens move on with, without Dupuis
- Play of nose tackles could have impact on Steelers’ stretch run
- 6 shot at Clairton speakeasy; police seek suspects
- WPIAL’s Top 10 football champions of all time
- Enrollment count in federal health care law padded, House panel says
- Pirates cut ties with Davis, clearing path for Alvarez to play first base
- New assistant Agnew has Pens’ PK, defense among league’s best
- Westmoreland County’s Excela Health rethinks patient debts
- Steelers notebook: Heinz Field not in play for Bills-Jets
- Cost-of-living raises boost salaries of top Pa. officials
- Snow removal crews from Pennsylvania hit the road to help Buffalo