Newsmaker: Edward Kocher
Noteworthy: Kocher was re-elected to a three-year term on the National Association of Schools of Music's Commission on Accreditation, an organization that establishes standards for undergraduate and graduate degrees.
Residence: Mt. Lebanon
Family: Wife, Kamie Schoonhoven; daughter, Robyn; son, Ted, 29
Occupation: Dean and professor at Duquesne University's Mary Pappert School of Music
Background: Before joining Duquesne in 2000 as dean of the music school, Kocher served for 20 years as professor, department chair and associate dean of the music school at DePaul University. He is a professional trombonist and has performed with the Mannheim Steamrollers, Chicago Symphony and Chicago Lyric Opera. He has performed locally with the Emmy Award-winning MCG Jazz.
Education: Bachelor's degree in music education from Northwestern University; master of arts in trombone from the University of Iowa; doctorate in public policy analysis-education from the University of Illinois at Chicago
Quote: "It's an honor to serve Duquesne University as part of the national conversation about the future of music education."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Monessen woman dies in truck-car crash on Route 51 in Fayette County
- Digital Age reboots foreign language instruction in Western Pa. schools
- LaBar: WWE not backing down from controversy
- Police say couple in Oakland murder-suicide had “troubled” relationship
- E-cigs save lives
- West Point Elementary checked for gas odor, students sent home or to Wendover
- Driver leaps from sliding truck just before it topples down hillside in Fawn
- Police arrest man after high-speed chase to Downtown
- McCord to TV reporter: ‘I look forward to talking about’ resignation
- Penguins’ Ehrhoff being tested for concussion
- 3 in Westmoreland charged in painkiller ring