Newsmaker: Edward Kocher
Noteworthy: Kocher was re-elected to a three-year term on the National Association of Schools of Music's Commission on Accreditation, an organization that establishes standards for undergraduate and graduate degrees.
Residence: Mt. Lebanon
Family: Wife, Kamie Schoonhoven; daughter, Robyn; son, Ted, 29
Occupation: Dean and professor at Duquesne University's Mary Pappert School of Music
Background: Before joining Duquesne in 2000 as dean of the music school, Kocher served for 20 years as professor, department chair and associate dean of the music school at DePaul University. He is a professional trombonist and has performed with the Mannheim Steamrollers, Chicago Symphony and Chicago Lyric Opera. He has performed locally with the Emmy Award-winning MCG Jazz.
Education: Bachelor's degree in music education from Northwestern University; master of arts in trombone from the University of Iowa; doctorate in public policy analysis-education from the University of Illinois at Chicago
Quote: "It's an honor to serve Duquesne University as part of the national conversation about the future of music education."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Phillies’ Burnett not demanding trade
- Polamalu enters training camp as Steelers’ longest tenured player
- Kennedy man shot in home, medical examiner’s office says
- Paterno son, another ex-football assistant coach suing PSU
- Allegheny County warns of uptick in Lyme disease cases
- Chrysler recalls up to 792K Jeep SUVs for ignition switch defect
- NFL notebook: Dungy clarifies Sam comments
- Earnings mood turns more upbeat, gives stock market a boost
- Man shot and killed in Homewood
- St. Pius to host church festival on Sunday
- Healthy Eating: Rethinking breakfast? Try a meal in a muffin