Newsmaker: Edward Kocher
Noteworthy: Kocher was re-elected to a three-year term on the National Association of Schools of Music's Commission on Accreditation, an organization that establishes standards for undergraduate and graduate degrees.
Residence: Mt. Lebanon
Family: Wife, Kamie Schoonhoven; daughter, Robyn; son, Ted, 29
Occupation: Dean and professor at Duquesne University's Mary Pappert School of Music
Background: Before joining Duquesne in 2000 as dean of the music school, Kocher served for 20 years as professor, department chair and associate dean of the music school at DePaul University. He is a professional trombonist and has performed with the Mannheim Steamrollers, Chicago Symphony and Chicago Lyric Opera. He has performed locally with the Emmy Award-winning MCG Jazz.
Education: Bachelor's degree in music education from Northwestern University; master of arts in trombone from the University of Iowa; doctorate in public policy analysis-education from the University of Illinois at Chicago
Quote: "It's an honor to serve Duquesne University as part of the national conversation about the future of music education."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Red Wings rally, shock Penguins in overtime
- Propels leave the lights on to showcase their after-school activities
- Predators winger Neal caught ‘blindsided’ by trade from Penguins
- Rossi: Middling Steelers must make a statement
- Elizabeth Forward team honored for playoff berth
- Harvest of Hope fundraiser to support cancer patients
- Former Ligonier Township supervisor accused of costing residents thousands, viewing porn on the job
- White Oak church keeps alive Scots community celebration
- Board vote turns in favor of union workers
- Pittsburgh Whiskey festival provides exposure to new products
- Steelers’ Adams delivers in pinch against Texans