Newsmaker: Edward Kocher
Noteworthy: Kocher was re-elected to a three-year term on the National Association of Schools of Music's Commission on Accreditation, an organization that establishes standards for undergraduate and graduate degrees.
Residence: Mt. Lebanon
Family: Wife, Kamie Schoonhoven; daughter, Robyn; son, Ted, 29
Occupation: Dean and professor at Duquesne University's Mary Pappert School of Music
Background: Before joining Duquesne in 2000 as dean of the music school, Kocher served for 20 years as professor, department chair and associate dean of the music school at DePaul University. He is a professional trombonist and has performed with the Mannheim Steamrollers, Chicago Symphony and Chicago Lyric Opera. He has performed locally with the Emmy Award-winning MCG Jazz.
Education: Bachelor's degree in music education from Northwestern University; master of arts in trombone from the University of Iowa; doctorate in public policy analysis-education from the University of Illinois at Chicago
Quote: "It's an honor to serve Duquesne University as part of the national conversation about the future of music education."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Love locks tokens fall prey to renovations on Pittsburgh bridges
- Pa. judge identified who denied Trib request to view sexually explicit emails circulated in AG’s Office
- Western Pa. districts aim to win back students from cyber charters
- Nearing 25 years together, WPXI anchors Johnson, Finnegan defy odds