Newsmaker: Dr. Christopher Schmidt
Noteworthy: Schmidt was elected to join the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons, an association of about 350 orthopedic surgeons who specialize in operations involving the shoulder and elbow.
Residence: North Fayette
Occupation: Schmidt is a shoulder, elbow and hand surgeon employed by the West Penn Allegheny Health System. He practices primarily at Allegheny General, St. Clair and Washington hospitals.
Background: After graduating from medical school, Schmidt spent about seven years at the University of Pittsburgh as a surgical resident and fellow. In 1996, he joined the faculty at Ohio State University and directed an orthopedic residency program at Mount Carmel health system in Columbus, Ohio. Schmidt returned to Pittsburgh in 2000.
Education: Bachelor's degree from University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1985; medical degree from University of Wisconsin Medical School, 1989
Quote : "Technological advances in orthoscopic and joint-replacement surgery have greatly improved the quality of life of many people, and that's what makes shoulder and elbow surgery extremely rewarding."
Add Alex Nixon to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- With most starters resting, Steelers turn in lackluster loss at Heinz
- Residents want crossing guard at spot where McKeesport student was struck, killed
- Steelers notebook: Thomas, Moats only starting defensive players to see action vs. Panthers
- Experts warn Kane’s Haiti trip might jeopardize any case from 2014 wiretap
- Steelers laud decision, praise Brady for taking on Goodell
- Liriano struggles as Brewers complete sweep of Pirates
- U.S. adds 173,000 jobs in August, dropping unemployment rate to 5.1 percent
- Vick supporters, opponents demonstrate before Steelers’ game, but coexist
- Pittsburgh schools chief Lane stepping down next summer
- Gay couple receives marriage license from controversial Ky. clerk’s office
- Gorman: Friday night to be strange without Fedko