Newsmaker: Dr. Christopher Schmidt
Noteworthy: Schmidt was elected to join the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons, an association of about 350 orthopedic surgeons who specialize in operations involving the shoulder and elbow.
Residence: North Fayette
Occupation: Schmidt is a shoulder, elbow and hand surgeon employed by the West Penn Allegheny Health System. He practices primarily at Allegheny General, St. Clair and Washington hospitals.
Background: After graduating from medical school, Schmidt spent about seven years at the University of Pittsburgh as a surgical resident and fellow. In 1996, he joined the faculty at Ohio State University and directed an orthopedic residency program at Mount Carmel health system in Columbus, Ohio. Schmidt returned to Pittsburgh in 2000.
Education: Bachelor's degree from University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1985; medical degree from University of Wisconsin Medical School, 1989
Quote : "Technological advances in orthoscopic and joint-replacement surgery have greatly improved the quality of life of many people, and that's what makes shoulder and elbow surgery extremely rewarding."
Add Alex Nixon to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Steelers’ tarnished Bell rings true
- UPMC offering buyouts to 3,500 employees in cost-cutting move
- Police question resident in Latrobe apartment house fire
- Tomlin gives suggestion Steelers won’t be shy about going for 2
- Vandals ruin Ligonier Township farmers’ garden
- Soccer officials arrested in Zurich; World Cup votes probed
- Pirates notebook: Struggling Polanco held out of starting lineup
- Steelers notebook: LB Harrison open for larger role
- Steelers’ Brown: Attendance ‘never a doubt’ for offseason workouts
- Pirates win 5th straight as offense continues to click in win over Marlins
- Pittsburgh shortens the party for Chesney fans