Newsmaker: Dr. Christopher Schmidt
Noteworthy: Schmidt was elected to join the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons, an association of about 350 orthopedic surgeons who specialize in operations involving the shoulder and elbow.
Residence: North Fayette
Occupation: Schmidt is a shoulder, elbow and hand surgeon employed by the West Penn Allegheny Health System. He practices primarily at Allegheny General, St. Clair and Washington hospitals.
Background: After graduating from medical school, Schmidt spent about seven years at the University of Pittsburgh as a surgical resident and fellow. In 1996, he joined the faculty at Ohio State University and directed an orthopedic residency program at Mount Carmel health system in Columbus, Ohio. Schmidt returned to Pittsburgh in 2000.
Education: Bachelor's degree from University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1985; medical degree from University of Wisconsin Medical School, 1989
Quote : "Technological advances in orthoscopic and joint-replacement surgery have greatly improved the quality of life of many people, and that's what makes shoulder and elbow surgery extremely rewarding."
Add Alex Nixon to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- UPMC researcher who died of cyanide poisoning committed suicide
- Penguins finally break through, defeat Devils at Prudential Center
- Sting highlights demand for Pappy Van Winkle bourbon
- HOF finalist Bettis ‘behind everything’ in 2005 Super Bowl run
- Penguins notebook: Bennett a healthy scratch
- Rooney says Pittsburgh is ‘good place’ for next northern Super Bowl
- Pirates sign 2 to minor league deals
- Dungy, Greene represent more Steelers ties in hall of fame voting
- Homework: Pittsburgh Home Show to feature celebs, wine and pets
- Wilkinsburg auto dealer scammed at least 30 people, police say
- LaBar: WWE not backing down from controversy