Newsmaker: Dr. Christopher Schmidt
Noteworthy: Schmidt was elected to join the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons, an association of about 350 orthopedic surgeons who specialize in operations involving the shoulder and elbow.
Residence: North Fayette
Occupation: Schmidt is a shoulder, elbow and hand surgeon employed by the West Penn Allegheny Health System. He practices primarily at Allegheny General, St. Clair and Washington hospitals.
Background: After graduating from medical school, Schmidt spent about seven years at the University of Pittsburgh as a surgical resident and fellow. In 1996, he joined the faculty at Ohio State University and directed an orthopedic residency program at Mount Carmel health system in Columbus, Ohio. Schmidt returned to Pittsburgh in 2000.
Education: Bachelor's degree from University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1985; medical degree from University of Wisconsin Medical School, 1989
Quote : "Technological advances in orthoscopic and joint-replacement surgery have greatly improved the quality of life of many people, and that's what makes shoulder and elbow surgery extremely rewarding."
Add Alex Nixon to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Kobani emerges as pivot point
- Steelers notebook: Ex-Steeler Sanders living up to his word
- Georgia Tech runs all over mistake-prone Pitt
- Play to watch: Colts, Luck like to confuse defenses
- Motorcyclist flown to Pittsburgh hospital from Tarentum wreck
- West Virginia whips Oklahoma State for 4th straight win
- Frye: Chronic wasting disease news and hunter trends
- Predators GM Poile: Penguins’ firing of Shero not fair
- New rules may be in offing for some special trout streams
- Wolf in Leechburg: ‘Get it right this time’ in the election for Pa. governor
- High school roundup: Springdale football wins 4th in a row