Newsmaker: Dr. Christopher Schmidt
Noteworthy: Schmidt was elected to join the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons, an association of about 350 orthopedic surgeons who specialize in operations involving the shoulder and elbow.
Residence: North Fayette
Occupation: Schmidt is a shoulder, elbow and hand surgeon employed by the West Penn Allegheny Health System. He practices primarily at Allegheny General, St. Clair and Washington hospitals.
Background: After graduating from medical school, Schmidt spent about seven years at the University of Pittsburgh as a surgical resident and fellow. In 1996, he joined the faculty at Ohio State University and directed an orthopedic residency program at Mount Carmel health system in Columbus, Ohio. Schmidt returned to Pittsburgh in 2000.
Education: Bachelor's degree from University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1985; medical degree from University of Wisconsin Medical School, 1989
Quote : "Technological advances in orthoscopic and joint-replacement surgery have greatly improved the quality of life of many people, and that's what makes shoulder and elbow surgery extremely rewarding."
Add Alex Nixon to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Banged-up Steelers can clinch with win over Chiefs
- Wood Center at IUP turns campus trees into art
- Starkey: Chryst a miserable failure at Pitt
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings
- Pitt football fights to overcome steppingstone status
- Muhammad Ali hospitalized with pneumonia
- Pouliot scores in NHL debut as Penguins tame Panthers
- Pitt players support Rudolph for job
- U.S. coal mines nearing record low in worker deaths
- Police investigate alleged institutional sexual assault
- New York farmers lament lost opportunity for gas riches