Newsmaker: Dr. Christopher Schmidt
Noteworthy: Schmidt was elected to join the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons, an association of about 350 orthopedic surgeons who specialize in operations involving the shoulder and elbow.
Residence: North Fayette
Occupation: Schmidt is a shoulder, elbow and hand surgeon employed by the West Penn Allegheny Health System. He practices primarily at Allegheny General, St. Clair and Washington hospitals.
Background: After graduating from medical school, Schmidt spent about seven years at the University of Pittsburgh as a surgical resident and fellow. In 1996, he joined the faculty at Ohio State University and directed an orthopedic residency program at Mount Carmel health system in Columbus, Ohio. Schmidt returned to Pittsburgh in 2000.
Education: Bachelor's degree from University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1985; medical degree from University of Wisconsin Medical School, 1989
Quote : "Technological advances in orthoscopic and joint-replacement surgery have greatly improved the quality of life of many people, and that's what makes shoulder and elbow surgery extremely rewarding."
Add Alex Nixon to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Globe on track for record heat
- Pirates cut ties with Davis, clearing path for Alvarez to play first base
- The WPIAL’s Top 10 football champions of all time
- Penguins notebook: Fleury awaits word on when he’ll vie for 300th victory
- Steelers notebook: Heinz Field not in play for Bills-Jets
- Charlotte downs Penn State in double overtime
- MLB notebook: Owners approve 5-year term for new commissioner
- State police probe alleged plot targeting educators
- Gorman: Best WPIAL champion ever a matter of the heart
- From venues to playoff format, much has changed in 100 years of WPIAL championships
- Last turnpike defendants plead guilty but avoid prison