Newsmaker: Dr. Christopher Schmidt
Noteworthy: Schmidt was elected to join the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons, an association of about 350 orthopedic surgeons who specialize in operations involving the shoulder and elbow.
Residence: North Fayette
Occupation: Schmidt is a shoulder, elbow and hand surgeon employed by the West Penn Allegheny Health System. He practices primarily at Allegheny General, St. Clair and Washington hospitals.
Background: After graduating from medical school, Schmidt spent about seven years at the University of Pittsburgh as a surgical resident and fellow. In 1996, he joined the faculty at Ohio State University and directed an orthopedic residency program at Mount Carmel health system in Columbus, Ohio. Schmidt returned to Pittsburgh in 2000.
Education: Bachelor's degree from University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1985; medical degree from University of Wisconsin Medical School, 1989
Quote : "Technological advances in orthoscopic and joint-replacement surgery have greatly improved the quality of life of many people, and that's what makes shoulder and elbow surgery extremely rewarding."
Add Alex Nixon to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Captured: Manhunt ends for Pa. trooper ambush suspect Frein
- 5 Cal U football players arrested for assault; Saturday’s game canceled
- Veteran LB Harrison: Steelers must play to way defense is set up
- Fleury, Penguins too much for Kings
- Steelers notebook: Fully healthy, rookie WR Bryant progressing fast
- Pirates likely to seek pitcher, catcher when free agency starts
- Rossi: The best Penguins defense is ... a potent offense
- Emaciated Lab-collie mix found in garbage bag in New Stanton
- Hackers’ new Dyre malware infects W.Pa. computers, vexes FBI cyber agents
- Penguins assistant coach Tocchet wants Letang to shoot more on power play
- Day 7 of Ferrante trial expected to include testimony from victim’s colleague