Parents of Bridgeville infant accused of child abuse
The parents of Bridgeville infant remained in the Allegheny County Jail on Wednesday on charges they repeatedly abused their infant son.
Allegheny County police arrested Eric Abare, 25, and Kelly A. Broderick, 28, both of Bridgeville, on Feb. 27 after the couple took the injured 4-month-old boy to Children's Hospital on Jan. 19. Police charged Abare with two counts of aggravated assault and one count of endangering the welfare of a child. Broderick is charged with one count of endangering the welfare of a child.
Abare is being held in the jail on $55,000 straight bond, while Broderick is held on $20,000 straight bond. Attorneys for the two could not be reached.
The county's Office of Children and Youth Services took custody of the child, who is now being cared for by a relative.
"There were multiple injuries," said Allegheny County police Lt. Jeffrey Korczyk. "It looked as though some of the injuries were definitely healing, and then there were some that were newer."
Investigators said the couple told them the boy had rolled off the bed and fallen onto a computer monitor. He had bruises on his back, elbow, knees and shoulders.
A preliminary hearing for Abare and Broderick is scheduled for Monday in front of District Judge Maureen McGraw-Desmet in Bridgeville.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Reagan shooter Hinckley closer to permanent freedom
- Fights reported, shots fired outside Monroeville Mall restaurant
- Crosby’s 2 goals lift Penguins past Rangers, even series
- Steelers won’t be backed into a corner at NFL Draft
- Starkey: Taylor’s type fading away
- Penguins’ Martin a marked man in series with Rangers
- Marte jump-starts Pirates in win over Brewers
- Use of multiple contractors could leave oil, gas operators open to hackers
- Pirates notebook: Is it time for Kang to head to Indy?
- Penguins notebook: Johnston says Perron needs to shoot
- Governor Wolf’s outreach to lawmakers contrasts with Corbett’s style