Parents of Bridgeville infant accused of child abuse
The parents of Bridgeville infant remained in the Allegheny County Jail on Wednesday on charges they repeatedly abused their infant son.
Allegheny County police arrested Eric Abare, 25, and Kelly A. Broderick, 28, both of Bridgeville, on Feb. 27 after the couple took the injured 4-month-old boy to Children's Hospital on Jan. 19. Police charged Abare with two counts of aggravated assault and one count of endangering the welfare of a child. Broderick is charged with one count of endangering the welfare of a child.
Abare is being held in the jail on $55,000 straight bond, while Broderick is held on $20,000 straight bond. Attorneys for the two could not be reached.
The county's Office of Children and Youth Services took custody of the child, who is now being cared for by a relative.
"There were multiple injuries," said Allegheny County police Lt. Jeffrey Korczyk. "It looked as though some of the injuries were definitely healing, and then there were some that were newer."
Investigators said the couple told them the boy had rolled off the bed and fallen onto a computer monitor. He had bruises on his back, elbow, knees and shoulders.
A preliminary hearing for Abare and Broderick is scheduled for Monday in front of District Judge Maureen McGraw-Desmet in Bridgeville.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates plan to carry Hurdle deep into playoffs
- Steelers’ Tomlin does not like his coaching style to be characterized
- State trooper shot and killed during training exercise
- Knife-wielding man attacks 2 in Sheetz lot in Greensburg
- Despres is relishing his regular role on Penguins’ blue line
- Penguins notebook: Malkin picture muddy
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin bringing officials to practice
- Pittsburgh rises up for a 2nd year of Pirates magic
- Franklin Regional stabbing suspect could leave Pa. for treatment
- Gorman: Lincoln Park charade over
- NK grocery store robbed