Parents of Bridgeville infant accused of child abuse
The parents of Bridgeville infant remained in the Allegheny County Jail on Wednesday on charges they repeatedly abused their infant son.
Allegheny County police arrested Eric Abare, 25, and Kelly A. Broderick, 28, both of Bridgeville, on Feb. 27 after the couple took the injured 4-month-old boy to Children's Hospital on Jan. 19. Police charged Abare with two counts of aggravated assault and one count of endangering the welfare of a child. Broderick is charged with one count of endangering the welfare of a child.
Abare is being held in the jail on $55,000 straight bond, while Broderick is held on $20,000 straight bond. Attorneys for the two could not be reached.
The county's Office of Children and Youth Services took custody of the child, who is now being cared for by a relative.
"There were multiple injuries," said Allegheny County police Lt. Jeffrey Korczyk. "It looked as though some of the injuries were definitely healing, and then there were some that were newer."
Investigators said the couple told them the boy had rolled off the bed and fallen onto a computer monitor. He had bruises on his back, elbow, knees and shoulders.
A preliminary hearing for Abare and Broderick is scheduled for Monday in front of District Judge Maureen McGraw-Desmet in Bridgeville.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers defensive end Tuitt shifts into high gear
- Rossi: Pirates foolish to bet on Burnett return
- Operating loss mounts at Highmark’s core hospital system
- Steelers notebook: No decision on surgery for rookie CB Golson
- Rain postpones Pirates-Cubs game
- Doctors to be given star ratings on UPMC site
- Armstrong County D.A.’s office to head jail escape probe
- Perfect storm rains heroin, pain pills onto Mon Valley
- Steelers’ Mitchell taking cautious approach about dealing with injuries
- PennEnvironment planning Clean Air Act lawsuit
- Inside the Steelers: Wide array of receiving options shine