Parents of Bridgeville infant accused of child abuse
The parents of Bridgeville infant remained in the Allegheny County Jail on Wednesday on charges they repeatedly abused their infant son.
Allegheny County police arrested Eric Abare, 25, and Kelly A. Broderick, 28, both of Bridgeville, on Feb. 27 after the couple took the injured 4-month-old boy to Children's Hospital on Jan. 19. Police charged Abare with two counts of aggravated assault and one count of endangering the welfare of a child. Broderick is charged with one count of endangering the welfare of a child.
Abare is being held in the jail on $55,000 straight bond, while Broderick is held on $20,000 straight bond. Attorneys for the two could not be reached.
The county's Office of Children and Youth Services took custody of the child, who is now being cared for by a relative.
"There were multiple injuries," said Allegheny County police Lt. Jeffrey Korczyk. "It looked as though some of the injuries were definitely healing, and then there were some that were newer."
Investigators said the couple told them the boy had rolled off the bed and fallen onto a computer monitor. He had bruises on his back, elbow, knees and shoulders.
A preliminary hearing for Abare and Broderick is scheduled for Monday in front of District Judge Maureen McGraw-Desmet in Bridgeville.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Predators winger Neal caught ‘blindsided’ by trade from Penguins
- 2 dead, including student gunman, after Wash. school shooting
- Ferrante trial: Cyanide order form in plain sight
- Howard Hanna family donates $1M for business student scholarships at University of Pittsburgh
- First Niagara sets aside $45 million
- Arrest made in connection with Rostraver home invasion
- Monsour hospital properties sold at free-and-clear sale
- Rossi: Middling Steelers must make a statement
- Steelers free safety Mitchell is still settling into role on defense
- Steelers’ Adams delivers in pinch against Texans
- Counterfeit credit card ring falls for failure to remember birth date on fake ID