North Union fire damages drive-in restaurant
A popular Fayette County drive-in restaurant sustained major damage Tuesday during a late-morning fire in North Union.
Vinny's Drive Inn,1225 Connellsville St., had heavy interior smoke and water damage, a safety officer with the North Union Volunteer Fire Department said.
The fire, which started in the front of the building, broke out about 10:15 a.m., the officer said. The cause was undetermined.
By late afternoon crews were cleaning the interior and installing plastic sheeting over a portion of the roof.
Owner John Galie told WPXI-TV news that he plans to have construction crews look at the damage this morning.
Fire Chief Jim Marnell told WPXI that a maintenance worker was working on pipes when a torch caught the building on fire. Galie tried to put out the fire with a garden hose.
Galie's sister, Patrice Galie, said her brother has owned the business since 1992. It had been open for 25 years prior to that. She said her brother plans to reopen.
Firefighters said no one was injured.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Measles warning issued to Connellsville
- 3 donors to match, help ministries reach campaign goal
- South Connellsville mayor charged with transferring gun without council permission
- Twin pizza shop owners in Connellsville rise to The Challenge
- Big future seen for former Fayette grocery warehouse
- Connellsville business owner’s loss of pet prompts fund for animal respirators
- Ticket sales set for Connellsville Area High School annual musical
- South Connellsville Mayor Casini arraigned in gun case
- Fayette County relies on Westmoreland response team for pet rescues
- Report on cause of Uniontown train derailment not due for weeks
- Demolitions worry Connellsville health board