North Union fire damages drive-in restaurant
A popular Fayette County drive-in restaurant sustained major damage Tuesday during a late-morning fire in North Union.
Vinny's Drive Inn,1225 Connellsville St., had heavy interior smoke and water damage, a safety officer with the North Union Volunteer Fire Department said.
The fire, which started in the front of the building, broke out about 10:15 a.m., the officer said. The cause was undetermined.
By late afternoon crews were cleaning the interior and installing plastic sheeting over a portion of the roof.
Owner John Galie told WPXI-TV news that he plans to have construction crews look at the damage this morning.
Fire Chief Jim Marnell told WPXI that a maintenance worker was working on pipes when a torch caught the building on fire. Galie tried to put out the fire with a garden hose.
Galie's sister, Patrice Galie, said her brother has owned the business since 1992. It had been open for 25 years prior to that. She said her brother plans to reopen.
Firefighters said no one was injured.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Dunbar Twp. man, 82, accused of trying to rape home health aide may get probation
- Father, son offered plea deals in child pornography case in Fayette County
- 3 accused in Uniontown in use of stolen credit card
- Man charged with sexual assaults on girl in Fayette
- 2nd defendant to enter plea in Connellsville homicide
- Connellsville native, puppeteer makes it to semifinals of ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Agriculture chief touts local products in Fayette County visit
- Engine roar lures fans to Fayette County Fair Demolition Derby
- Bridge, road grants OK’d for work in Perry Township
- Connellsville father to plead guilty in stabbing
- 4 projects suggested for block grant funding in Connellsville