North Union fire damages drive-in restaurant
A popular Fayette County drive-in restaurant sustained major damage Tuesday during a late-morning fire in North Union.
Vinny's Drive Inn,1225 Connellsville St., had heavy interior smoke and water damage, a safety officer with the North Union Volunteer Fire Department said.
The fire, which started in the front of the building, broke out about 10:15 a.m., the officer said. The cause was undetermined.
By late afternoon crews were cleaning the interior and installing plastic sheeting over a portion of the roof.
Owner John Galie told WPXI-TV news that he plans to have construction crews look at the damage this morning.
Fire Chief Jim Marnell told WPXI that a maintenance worker was working on pipes when a torch caught the building on fire. Galie tried to put out the fire with a garden hose.
Galie's sister, Patrice Galie, said her brother has owned the business since 1992. It had been open for 25 years prior to that. She said her brother plans to reopen.
Firefighters said no one was injured.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Connellsville sets trick or treat
- No burning garbage in Connellsville
- WCCC robotics kits donated to CACTC
- Bullskin election violations end in plea deal for 3
- Vote to look for property in Uniontown to expand jail draws applause
- Fayette union protests contract woes
- Chalk Hill’s Klay winery plays host to harvest festival
- Everson agrees to buy 4-wheel drive vehicle
- Geibel Catholic in Connellsville again achieves national academic excellence
- Blight ordinance passed by Connellsville City Council
- Ground broken for 54-room Cobblestone Hotel in Connellsville