North Union fire damages drive-in restaurant
A popular Fayette County drive-in restaurant sustained major damage Tuesday during a late-morning fire in North Union.
Vinny's Drive Inn,1225 Connellsville St., had heavy interior smoke and water damage, a safety officer with the North Union Volunteer Fire Department said.
The fire, which started in the front of the building, broke out about 10:15 a.m., the officer said. The cause was undetermined.
By late afternoon crews were cleaning the interior and installing plastic sheeting over a portion of the roof.
Owner John Galie told WPXI-TV news that he plans to have construction crews look at the damage this morning.
Fire Chief Jim Marnell told WPXI that a maintenance worker was working on pipes when a torch caught the building on fire. Galie tried to put out the fire with a garden hose.
Galie's sister, Patrice Galie, said her brother has owned the business since 1992. It had been open for 25 years prior to that. She said her brother plans to reopen.
Firefighters said no one was injured.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Veterans court program to begin in Fayette
- Connellsville Mum Festival to be held Saturday
- Connellsville’s St. Rita Christian Mothers to hold Nationality Day
- Indian Creek Valley Community Center demolition under way
- Purple Heart recipient from Connellsville Township soldiers on
- Woman killed in Fayette County van-motorcycle collision
- Circles Connellsville receives $5K from Diocese of Greensburg
- Parade of Mustangs to kick off Connellsville’s Mum Festival
- Fayette County chop shop operation nets jail time, payment of restitution
- FEMA to review Fayette’s flood plains
- Living History: Uniontown man aboard USS San Diego duing Japan’s WWII surrender