North Union fire damages drive-in restaurant
A popular Fayette County drive-in restaurant sustained major damage Tuesday during a late-morning fire in North Union.
Vinny's Drive Inn,1225 Connellsville St., had heavy interior smoke and water damage, a safety officer with the North Union Volunteer Fire Department said.
The fire, which started in the front of the building, broke out about 10:15 a.m., the officer said. The cause was undetermined.
By late afternoon crews were cleaning the interior and installing plastic sheeting over a portion of the roof.
Owner John Galie told WPXI-TV news that he plans to have construction crews look at the damage this morning.
Fire Chief Jim Marnell told WPXI that a maintenance worker was working on pipes when a torch caught the building on fire. Galie tried to put out the fire with a garden hose.
Galie's sister, Patrice Galie, said her brother has owned the business since 1992. It had been open for 25 years prior to that. She said her brother plans to reopen.
Firefighters said no one was injured.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fairchance convenience store robber sought
- Fayette County man deemed sexually violent predator
- Brooklyn man’s cross-state taxi ride leads straight to jail in Uniontown
- Candidate for Fayette County sheriff drops election appeal
- Connellsville Area Career and Technical Center students to attend post-secondary schools
- Masontown woman charged with leaving infant in hot vehicle
- Connellsville Redevelopment Authority receives $47K in grant funds
- Rockin’ Ribfest in Connellsville on weekend
- Henry: Family fun, fireworks this weekend in Connellsville
- Weather batters Connellsville-area bike trail
- Masontown woman seeks probationary program in theft case