North Union fire damages drive-in restaurant
A popular Fayette County drive-in restaurant sustained major damage Tuesday during a late-morning fire in North Union.
Vinny's Drive Inn,1225 Connellsville St., had heavy interior smoke and water damage, a safety officer with the North Union Volunteer Fire Department said.
The fire, which started in the front of the building, broke out about 10:15 a.m., the officer said. The cause was undetermined.
By late afternoon crews were cleaning the interior and installing plastic sheeting over a portion of the roof.
Owner John Galie told WPXI-TV news that he plans to have construction crews look at the damage this morning.
Fire Chief Jim Marnell told WPXI that a maintenance worker was working on pipes when a torch caught the building on fire. Galie tried to put out the fire with a garden hose.
Galie's sister, Patrice Galie, said her brother has owned the business since 1992. It had been open for 25 years prior to that. She said her brother plans to reopen.
Firefighters said no one was injured.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- PA Core Standards survey link now on Connellsville district’s website
- Charges withdrawn against Fayette parents accused of keeping dead dog
- Former Holy Trinity church to be remembered in Geibel service
- Bullskin supervisors award bids for Spruce Hollow Road bridge project
- Experience ‘Faces and Voices’
- Connellsville code officer: Nothing done on WCVI site
- CAHS announces 2015 spring musical
- Connellsville focuses on revenues at first budget meeting
- Building collapses in Connellsville; mound of debris lands in street