North Union fire damages drive-in restaurant
A popular Fayette County drive-in restaurant sustained major damage Tuesday during a late-morning fire in North Union.
Vinny's Drive Inn,1225 Connellsville St., had heavy interior smoke and water damage, a safety officer with the North Union Volunteer Fire Department said.
The fire, which started in the front of the building, broke out about 10:15 a.m., the officer said. The cause was undetermined.
By late afternoon crews were cleaning the interior and installing plastic sheeting over a portion of the roof.
Owner John Galie told WPXI-TV news that he plans to have construction crews look at the damage this morning.
Fire Chief Jim Marnell told WPXI that a maintenance worker was working on pipes when a torch caught the building on fire. Galie tried to put out the fire with a garden hose.
Galie's sister, Patrice Galie, said her brother has owned the business since 1992. It had been open for 25 years prior to that. She said her brother plans to reopen.
Firefighters said no one was injured.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Old water treatment plant in Dunbar Township destroyed by fire
- Breakneck Church to hold flea market, bake sale
- Sirochman: Fayette genealogy workshop planned for Wednesday
- Motorcyclist listed as fair after Fayette County crash
- Contest seeks Fayette student entries to name road to jail
- Sisters of St. Basil to host 80th pilgrimage to Uniontown
- Security tightened at Fayette courthouse; Westmoreland says its procedures are sufficient
- Phony physician wanted in Fayette also sought in Nebraska
- Pennsylvania State VFW Post 8543 Band continues to grow
- Residents plan town-hall style meeting on Connellsville’s proposed abandoned building ordinance