North Union fire damages drive-in restaurant
A popular Fayette County drive-in restaurant sustained major damage Tuesday during a late-morning fire in North Union.
Vinny's Drive Inn,1225 Connellsville St., had heavy interior smoke and water damage, a safety officer with the North Union Volunteer Fire Department said.
The fire, which started in the front of the building, broke out about 10:15 a.m., the officer said. The cause was undetermined.
By late afternoon crews were cleaning the interior and installing plastic sheeting over a portion of the roof.
Owner John Galie told WPXI-TV news that he plans to have construction crews look at the damage this morning.
Fire Chief Jim Marnell told WPXI that a maintenance worker was working on pipes when a torch caught the building on fire. Galie tried to put out the fire with a garden hose.
Galie's sister, Patrice Galie, said her brother has owned the business since 1992. It had been open for 25 years prior to that. She said her brother plans to reopen.
Firefighters said no one was injured.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- A Christmas story: Childhood holiday in Dunbar recollected
- Trinity United Presbyterian offers Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Uniontown self-help book author finds ‘Inner Peace’ through writing
- Connellsville teen charged in attack on 80-year-old man, daughter allowed to play high school basketball
- Fallen Perryopolis police officer chased his dream
- Stanley Cup coming to Ice Mine in Dunbar Township
- Uniontown man charged with raping 2 girls
- Connellsville High announces leads for March musical
- Fayette man faces prison for mail fraud
- Connellsville Area High School Patriots participate in Wreaths Across America
- Perryopolis police officer dies in Route 51 crash