North Union fire damages drive-in restaurant
A popular Fayette County drive-in restaurant sustained major damage Tuesday during a late-morning fire in North Union.
Vinny's Drive Inn,1225 Connellsville St., had heavy interior smoke and water damage, a safety officer with the North Union Volunteer Fire Department said.
The fire, which started in the front of the building, broke out about 10:15 a.m., the officer said. The cause was undetermined.
By late afternoon crews were cleaning the interior and installing plastic sheeting over a portion of the roof.
Owner John Galie told WPXI-TV news that he plans to have construction crews look at the damage this morning.
Fire Chief Jim Marnell told WPXI that a maintenance worker was working on pipes when a torch caught the building on fire. Galie tried to put out the fire with a garden hose.
Galie's sister, Patrice Galie, said her brother has owned the business since 1992. It had been open for 25 years prior to that. She said her brother plans to reopen.
Firefighters said no one was injured.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Connellsville Rite Aid robbed
- Mill Run woman sentenced in daughter’s death
- Connellsville-area group shares photos, stories, legacy
- New HR director in place in Fayette; commissioner remains opposed to hiring
- Former Connellsville councilman’s foresight led to happier trails
- Robbery charges against Elizabeth Township man dismissed
- Everyone encouraged to participate in Connellsville Holy Week events
- Porterfield: Fish dinner benefits Normalville Fire auxiliary
- Connellsville center to host Eggstravaganza
- Serial burglar targets homes in North Union, South Union
- Connellsville Area Community Ministries surpasses Sharing The Harvest Campaign goal