Bridget Mayak, Touchstone Artist of Year
Touchstone Center for Crafts near Farmington will honor Bridget Mayak as its 2010 Artist of the Year on Aug. 7.
An art graduate of Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Bridget is an elementary school art teacher in the Somerset Area School District and the instructor of the center's children's program "Art for Kids."
Mayack recently helped to initiate Targeting Teens at Touchstone, a new program at the center. Through the program, nominated teens participate in classes tuition-free to gain hands-on experience in the arts.
Mayak's relationship with the center began seven years ago in a pottery class with potter Valda Cox. She's taken more than 20 classes since then and has "loved them all."
She said her favorite mediums are ceramics and metal sculpture, which she's learned to combine in her work, thanks to instructors.
Some of her most well-known pieces are "Bridget's Birds" -- whimsical, ceramic birds in a variety of colors and sizes, featured in Touchstone's gift shop as well as other shops in the Laurel Highlands region.
A luncheon in the Blaney Lodge Great Hall will immediately follow the Artist of the Year ceremony, taking place in Hart Moore Museum.
The celebration is open to the public and tickets cost $12.
For more information, call 724-329-1370, e-mail email@example.com .
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Dunbar Twp. man held for trial in DUI fatality
- Warrant issued for Mich. man in Nemacolin scam
- Longtime Fayette County Fair volunteer Herring honored as ‘ambassador’
- Connellsville man held for court in robbery at Gibson Terrace
- Fayette fair queen, princess are crowned
- Uniontown law firm gives up row office appointment amid ethics questions
- Fayette County prothonotary’s bid to block access to abuse orders in dispute
- Fayette County Fair celebrates 60th anniversary
- Appeal filed in death of special needs child in Fayette
- Litigants against Fayette jail look to join forces
- Wrongful death lawsuit filed against Connellsville man in 2013 accident