Bridget Mayak, Touchstone Artist of Year
Touchstone Center for Crafts near Farmington will honor Bridget Mayak as its 2010 Artist of the Year on Aug. 7.
An art graduate of Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Bridget is an elementary school art teacher in the Somerset Area School District and the instructor of the center's children's program "Art for Kids."
Mayack recently helped to initiate Targeting Teens at Touchstone, a new program at the center. Through the program, nominated teens participate in classes tuition-free to gain hands-on experience in the arts.
Mayak's relationship with the center began seven years ago in a pottery class with potter Valda Cox. She's taken more than 20 classes since then and has "loved them all."
She said her favorite mediums are ceramics and metal sculpture, which she's learned to combine in her work, thanks to instructors.
Some of her most well-known pieces are "Bridget's Birds" -- whimsical, ceramic birds in a variety of colors and sizes, featured in Touchstone's gift shop as well as other shops in the Laurel Highlands region.
A luncheon in the Blaney Lodge Great Hall will immediately follow the Artist of the Year ceremony, taking place in Hart Moore Museum.
The celebration is open to the public and tickets cost $12.
For more information, call 724-329-1370, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- A Christmas story: Childhood holiday in Dunbar recollected
- Trinity United Presbyterian offers Festival of Lessons and Carols
- Connellsville teen charged in attack on 80-year-old man, daughter allowed to play high school basketball
- Uniontown self-help book author finds ‘Inner Peace’ through writing
- Uniontown man charged with raping 2 girls
- Connellsville High announces leads for March musical
- Connellsville Area High School Patriots participate in Wreaths Across America
- Connellsville Redevelopment Authority keeps $20,000 surplus in budget
- Connellsville Council approves parking plans for proposed hotel
- Connellsville man admitted drinking, fighting with victim before deadly 2013 crash, trooper testifies
- Everson volunteer firefighters set to sell hoagies