Bridget Mayak, Touchstone Artist of Year
Touchstone Center for Crafts near Farmington will honor Bridget Mayak as its 2010 Artist of the Year on Aug. 7.
An art graduate of Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Bridget is an elementary school art teacher in the Somerset Area School District and the instructor of the center's children's program "Art for Kids."
Mayack recently helped to initiate Targeting Teens at Touchstone, a new program at the center. Through the program, nominated teens participate in classes tuition-free to gain hands-on experience in the arts.
Mayak's relationship with the center began seven years ago in a pottery class with potter Valda Cox. She's taken more than 20 classes since then and has "loved them all."
She said her favorite mediums are ceramics and metal sculpture, which she's learned to combine in her work, thanks to instructors.
Some of her most well-known pieces are "Bridget's Birds" -- whimsical, ceramic birds in a variety of colors and sizes, featured in Touchstone's gift shop as well as other shops in the Laurel Highlands region.
A luncheon in the Blaney Lodge Great Hall will immediately follow the Artist of the Year ceremony, taking place in Hart Moore Museum.
The celebration is open to the public and tickets cost $12.
For more information, call 724-329-1370, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org .
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Connellsville Area School Board to ask that state budget be passed
- Fayette fair drew larger crowds, income
- Connellsville Area High School German Club to present Oktoberfest Auto Show
- Connellsville wine store fares well
- Connellsville hosting Halloween Home-Decorating Contest
- Ten Commandments monument in Connellsville moves to church property next to senior high
- Tours of Nemacolin Castle in Brownsville offer history, ghost stories
- Touchstone program forges Frazier grad’s interest in art
- Book sale at Highlands Hospital starts this week
- Shop on Breakneck Road in Connellsville fills a need