Bridget Mayak, Touchstone Artist of Year
Touchstone Center for Crafts near Farmington will honor Bridget Mayak as its 2010 Artist of the Year on Aug. 7.
An art graduate of Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Bridget is an elementary school art teacher in the Somerset Area School District and the instructor of the center's children's program "Art for Kids."
Mayack recently helped to initiate Targeting Teens at Touchstone, a new program at the center. Through the program, nominated teens participate in classes tuition-free to gain hands-on experience in the arts.
Mayak's relationship with the center began seven years ago in a pottery class with potter Valda Cox. She's taken more than 20 classes since then and has "loved them all."
She said her favorite mediums are ceramics and metal sculpture, which she's learned to combine in her work, thanks to instructors.
Some of her most well-known pieces are "Bridget's Birds" -- whimsical, ceramic birds in a variety of colors and sizes, featured in Touchstone's gift shop as well as other shops in the Laurel Highlands region.
A luncheon in the Blaney Lodge Great Hall will immediately follow the Artist of the Year ceremony, taking place in Hart Moore Museum.
The celebration is open to the public and tickets cost $12.
For more information, call 724-329-1370, e-mail email@example.com .
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 2 dead in Bullskin crash
- Late Frazier superintendent’s vision of new school nearly a reality
- Agriculture chief touts local products in Fayette County visit
- Connellsville Area High School’s marching band to play national anthem at PNC Park
- Purchase paves the way for razing of Connellsville building
- 500 Brownsville elementary students to get backpacks, supplies
- Connellsville man accepts plea in break-ins
- More charges filed against Uniontown serial robbery suspect
- Pedestrian killed after he was struck by SUV on Route 51
- Lemont Furnace couple seeks reversal of zoning permit
- Injunction granted in East Huntingdon vet clinic dispute