Expectant father allegedly lights joint at Uniontown hospital
Some expectant fathers pass out cigars to celebrate the arrival of a newborn child.
In Fayette County, one new dad is accused of celebrating by lighting up a marijuana cigarette -- in a hospital's designated smoking area.
Uniontown police Sgt. Jonathan Grabiak said a Uniontown Hospital nurse noticed the distinctive odor of marijuana when she took a cigarette break in the facility's designated smoking area early Tuesday morning. In a written report, Grabiak described the area as an enclosed shed on Delaware Avenue.
The nurse observed two men in the shed, but she did not see either smoking marijuana.
A hospital security officer who called police at 3:20 a.m. directed Grabiak to the two men, who at that time were walking in front of the hospital.
Grabiak said both men had glassy eyes. One of the men admitted to smoking marijuana in the shed while awaiting the birth of his child.
"I'm having a baby and wanted to get a buzz," the man told Grabiak.
The man reached into one of his shoes and pulled out a plastic bag containing suspected marijuana.
Grabiak told the man he will be charged with possession of marijuana, but no charges had been filed as of yesterday. The man was released to a family member and told to leave the hospital.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fayette to open central district court
- Frazier’s $22M school construction project moving on schedule
- Burglars take $200 from Clark Elementary School
- Somerset Trust Train Station Complex in Connellsville to hold grand opening
- Connellsville council told Highlands Hospital has prevention plan for Ebola
- Halloween fun fills Connellsville community center
- Pa. candidates address equal rights, economic equity in Connellsville
- Fayette seeks ownership of building for jail
- PennDOT schedules bridge meeting
- Springfield students collect hygiene items
- Sheetz to expand in Bullskin