Fayette man arrested in death of woman on Route 40 in Redstone
The Fayette County coroner has identified a woman who was struck by a vehicle along Route 40 in Redstone Thursday night.
Kelly Jo Branson, 21, of Woodview Terrace died in the 7:30 p.m. accident.
Motorist Donald Lowther, 40, who allegedly struck Branson, was charged today with homicide by vehicle while driving under the influence, according to a criminal complaint filed with Brownsville District Judge Mike Defino.
Police told WPXI-TV that Branson and her husband had stopped to change a tire on their vehicle near Jackson Road when they were struck by motorist Donald Lowther.
Police said Branson's husband is in critical condition.
Kelly Jo Branson was pronounced dead at the scene at 8:05 p.m. by Deputy Coroner Robert Furin.
Lowther is being held in the Fayette County Prison on $75,000 bond.
He faces a preliminary hearing before Defino on Jan. 9.
Attempts to reach township police for comment were unsuccessful.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates showing interest in starting pitcher Masterson
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger remains in concussion protocol
- Monessen lawyer disbarred by state disciplinary board
- CPR helps revive Heinz Field worker with cardiac arrest
- Founder of Z&M Cycle Sales in Hempfield killed in Florida motorcycle crash
- Pitt’s Whitehead, Ollison grab ACC rookie of the year awards
- Starkey: Tomlin lived in his fears
- Agreement on Scaife personal information clears way for will dispute to proceed
- Kane turns to former Maryland attorney general to lead porn email probe
- In letter to Congress, former national security experts back settling Syrian refugees
- Downtown barbershop target of racial-slur graffiti