Judge to analyze Charleroi woman's debt load
A district judge in Washington County will try to determine whether a woman who spent a night in jail after failing to pay her sewer bill has the means to cover her debts, her attorney said.
Darlene Pennline, 74, of Charleroi was sentenced to the Washington County Jail earlier this month after she missed a payment owed for a sewer surcharge levied by the borough.
The amount of her original sewer bill was $200, but grew to $1,300 when penalties and court costs were added. Another judge ordered that Pennline be released the following day. Pennline's hearing is scheduled for Jan. 7.
Attorney Matthew Keranko, who is representing Pennline, is seeking an injunction against the municipality on behalf of residents who believe there are problems with the way collection of the surcharge is being handled.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Looking at the next great Steeler
- After early criticism, Haley has Steelers offense poised to be even better
- McCullers’, McLendon’s prowess in clogging trenches crucial to Steelers defense
- Steelers swap draft pick for Eagles cornerback
- Reds solve Cole, stave off Pirates’ 9th-inning rally
- Penguins not alone in top-heavy approach to salary cap
- Roman Catholic Church in midst of culture clash over gays
- Shell shovels millions into proposed Beaver County plant site
- High school notebook: Baseball standouts showcase their skills for pro scouts
- Steelers notebook: Injuries finally become issue at training camp
- Starting 9: Examining Pirates’ deadline decisions