Judge to analyze Charleroi woman's debt load
A district judge in Washington County will try to determine whether a woman who spent a night in jail after failing to pay her sewer bill has the means to cover her debts, her attorney said.
Darlene Pennline, 74, of Charleroi was sentenced to the Washington County Jail earlier this month after she missed a payment owed for a sewer surcharge levied by the borough.
The amount of her original sewer bill was $200, but grew to $1,300 when penalties and court costs were added. Another judge ordered that Pennline be released the following day. Pennline's hearing is scheduled for Jan. 7.
Attorney Matthew Keranko, who is representing Pennline, is seeking an injunction against the municipality on behalf of residents who believe there are problems with the way collection of the surcharge is being handled.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Scientists dismiss dire outlook for Western Pennsylvania winter weather
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Mom charged in girl’s death in line for $1M from her trust fund
- Pitt notebook: Panthers defense responds to questions with shutout
- Former Clairton, Pitt cornerback Coles enrolls at Duquesne
- New Ohiopyle park manager ready for big challenge that comes with job
- On the border of Westmoreland, Fayette, Jacobs Creek section is sacred spot