Judge to analyze Charleroi woman's debt load
A district judge in Washington County will try to determine whether a woman who spent a night in jail after failing to pay her sewer bill has the means to cover her debts, her attorney said.
Darlene Pennline, 74, of Charleroi was sentenced to the Washington County Jail earlier this month after she missed a payment owed for a sewer surcharge levied by the borough.
The amount of her original sewer bill was $200, but grew to $1,300 when penalties and court costs were added. Another judge ordered that Pennline be released the following day. Pennline's hearing is scheduled for Jan. 7.
Attorney Matthew Keranko, who is representing Pennline, is seeking an injunction against the municipality on behalf of residents who believe there are problems with the way collection of the surcharge is being handled.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates top Cardinals, 5-2, on Davis’ homer; Alvarez, McCutchen hurt
- For Steelers outside linebacker Jones, size is not an obstacle
- Steelers cornerbacks Allen, Gay, Taylor have something to prove
- Steelers notebook: Team cuts 15 players, including LB So’oto, RB Hall
- Latrobe law firm’s secretary pleads guilty to income tax evasion
- Pittsburgh paramedics treat 38 people at Stage AE concert
- Dem Wolf eyes shale’s ‘golden egg’ to boost school funding
- Indiana County township ‘afraid for the water’ fights waste well
- Harmar police make 2 drug arrests as part of crackdown on crime
- Gorman: Rowan’s move hurts area hoops
- Western Pennsylvania drivers at bottom of insurer’s safety rankings