Judge to analyze Charleroi woman's debt load
A district judge in Washington County will try to determine whether a woman who spent a night in jail after failing to pay her sewer bill has the means to cover her debts, her attorney said.
Darlene Pennline, 74, of Charleroi was sentenced to the Washington County Jail earlier this month after she missed a payment owed for a sewer surcharge levied by the borough.
The amount of her original sewer bill was $200, but grew to $1,300 when penalties and court costs were added. Another judge ordered that Pennline be released the following day. Pennline's hearing is scheduled for Jan. 7.
Attorney Matthew Keranko, who is representing Pennline, is seeking an injunction against the municipality on behalf of residents who believe there are problems with the way collection of the surcharge is being handled.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pens get physical, trade Goc for Blues’ Lapierre
- Ford City police coverage sparks concern from EMS director
- Cowansville veterans center closing in on roof project funding goal
- Workers eager to get started on Kittanning trail project
- Now a Patriot, RB Blount’s thrilled to have moved on from Steelers
- Elizabeth keeps millage rate flat, but council considers 2016 fire tax
- Receiver cites progress in touting improved Duquesne City School District
- Supporters optimistic about passage of medical marijuana in Pennsylvania
- Winfield man is one of a few to attend all 49 Super Bowl games
- Letang produces 5 assists in return as Penguins defeat Jets, 5-3
- Pirates trade Snider to Orioles for minor league pitcher