Judge to analyze Charleroi woman's debt load
A district judge in Washington County will try to determine whether a woman who spent a night in jail after failing to pay her sewer bill has the means to cover her debts, her attorney said.
Darlene Pennline, 74, of Charleroi was sentenced to the Washington County Jail earlier this month after she missed a payment owed for a sewer surcharge levied by the borough.
The amount of her original sewer bill was $200, but grew to $1,300 when penalties and court costs were added. Another judge ordered that Pennline be released the following day. Pennline's hearing is scheduled for Jan. 7.
Attorney Matthew Keranko, who is representing Pennline, is seeking an injunction against the municipality on behalf of residents who believe there are problems with the way collection of the surcharge is being handled.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- State Supreme Court Justice McCaffery suspended in email porn scandal
- Ferrante defense says arrest of prosecutor’s boyfriend could affect case
- Mars Area superintendent resigns after short tenure
- Harrison woman dead in 3-car crash in Natrona Heights
- Truck wreck snarls traffic in Beaver County
- Police arrest 14-year-old in connection to bomb threats phoned in to South Hills schools
- Bomb threat prompts search at Norwin High School
- Parkway West ramps to be closed at Carnegie
- Penguins send down pair, Bortuzzo practices
- Steelers looking for Spence to step up game at inside linebacker
- Opposing defenses find success against Steelers by eschewing blitz