Riot at IUP includes shovels, baseball bats, machete
Police are investigating a riot in which students from Indiana University of Pennsylvania attacked each another with shovels, cinder blocks, baseball bats and a machete.
The incident was reported as "a large fight with weapons involved" at 2:18 a.m. Saturday near the Giant Eagle in the 600 block of Locust Street, said Indiana borough Patrolman Thomas Dessell. As police arrived, most of the people involved fled, Dessell said.
A preliminary investigation indicated two rival fraternities began the fight, Dessell said.
Several individuals were treated at the scene and released, Dessell said.
Borough police ask anyone with information related to this incident or those who may have seen any part of the fight to contact the department at 724-349-2121.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- UPMC researcher who died of cyanide poisoning committed suicide
- Sting highlights demand for Pappy Van Winkle bourbon
- Penguins finally break through, defeat Devils at Prudential Center
- Penguins notebook: Bennett a healthy scratch
- Monessen woman dies in truck-car crash on Route 51 in Fayette County
- HOF finalist Bettis ‘behind everything’ in 2005 Super Bowl run
- Rooney says Pittsburgh is ‘good place’ for next northern Super Bowl
- LaBar: WWE not backing down from controversy
- Mormons in Valley for mission project
- Wilkinsburg auto dealer scammed at least 30 people, police say
- Pirates sign 2 to minor league deals