Riot at IUP includes shovels, baseball bats, machete
Police are investigating a riot in which students from Indiana University of Pennsylvania attacked each another with shovels, cinder blocks, baseball bats and a machete.
The incident was reported as "a large fight with weapons involved" at 2:18 a.m. Saturday near the Giant Eagle in the 600 block of Locust Street, said Indiana borough Patrolman Thomas Dessell. As police arrived, most of the people involved fled, Dessell said.
A preliminary investigation indicated two rival fraternities began the fight, Dessell said.
Several individuals were treated at the scene and released, Dessell said.
Borough police ask anyone with information related to this incident or those who may have seen any part of the fight to contact the department at 724-349-2121.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt recruit Whitehead remains committed
- Pirates win bidding for Korean infielder
- Stocks push to record highs, continuing rally
- Steelers’ Beachum, Williams hurting but could play vs. Bengals
- WPIAL players named to Class AAA, A all-state teams
- Worker at Mercer County center accused of illegal sexual contact with juveniles
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings
- Leon Ford’s civil rights lawsuit can proceed, judge rules
- Rex Energy spills flowback on Butler County wellpad, says DEP
- Judge says Ariz. sheriff’s challenge of immigration plan better left for Congress
- Rossi: Steelers rising fast in mediocre AFC