Riot at IUP includes shovels, baseball bats, machete
Police are investigating a riot in which students from Indiana University of Pennsylvania attacked each another with shovels, cinder blocks, baseball bats and a machete.
The incident was reported as "a large fight with weapons involved" at 2:18 a.m. Saturday near the Giant Eagle in the 600 block of Locust Street, said Indiana borough Patrolman Thomas Dessell. As police arrived, most of the people involved fled, Dessell said.
A preliminary investigation indicated two rival fraternities began the fight, Dessell said.
Several individuals were treated at the scene and released, Dessell said.
Borough police ask anyone with information related to this incident or those who may have seen any part of the fight to contact the department at 724-349-2121.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Consumer, core prices inch up
- Starkey: Century mark beckons for Ben
- Highmark seeks double-digit increase for more benefits, heavy use
- The Leader eager for Kittanning finale
- Steelers’ defense on pace for fewest sacks in 16-game season
- Pitt offense eyes healthy balance
- Canadians more fearful, aware after ‘very rare’ attack in Ottawa
- Apollo-Ridge school bus safety program aims to drive message home
- Flyers continue mastery of Penguins at Consol
- Contempt citation sought by state against Highmark for alleged violation of deal with UPMC
- Corbett rips Wolf tax proposals during Hempfield campaign stop