Riot at IUP includes shovels, baseball bats, machete
Police are investigating a riot in which students from Indiana University of Pennsylvania attacked each another with shovels, cinder blocks, baseball bats and a machete.
The incident was reported as "a large fight with weapons involved" at 2:18 a.m. Saturday near the Giant Eagle in the 600 block of Locust Street, said Indiana borough Patrolman Thomas Dessell. As police arrived, most of the people involved fled, Dessell said.
A preliminary investigation indicated two rival fraternities began the fight, Dessell said.
Several individuals were treated at the scene and released, Dessell said.
Borough police ask anyone with information related to this incident or those who may have seen any part of the fight to contact the department at 724-349-2121.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Spokesman for India’s PM tells Pitt audience of pro-business agenda
- Despres is relishing his regular role on Penguins’ blue line
- Retirement planning is about more than just money
- Steelers’ Tomlin does not like his coaching style to be characterized
- WVU assistant Bradley can relate to Jayhawks interim coach
- Hotel still a possibility for August Wilson Center
- NK grocery store robbed
- Program helping Armstrong jail inmates earn GED diplomas
- North Belle Vernon gets tough on storm water
- WCVI owner: Building not that bad
- York Avenue Bridge could remain 1 lane for 3-5 years