Riot at IUP includes shovels, baseball bats, machete
Police are investigating a riot in which students from Indiana University of Pennsylvania attacked each another with shovels, cinder blocks, baseball bats and a machete.
The incident was reported as "a large fight with weapons involved" at 2:18 a.m. Saturday near the Giant Eagle in the 600 block of Locust Street, said Indiana borough Patrolman Thomas Dessell. As police arrived, most of the people involved fled, Dessell said.
A preliminary investigation indicated two rival fraternities began the fight, Dessell said.
Several individuals were treated at the scene and released, Dessell said.
Borough police ask anyone with information related to this incident or those who may have seen any part of the fight to contact the department at 724-349-2121.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Ohio offensive lineman verbally commits to Pitt
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Water main break in Hill District unlikely to affect nearby school
- Love locks tokens fall prey to renovations on Pittsburgh bridges
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County
- Nearing 25 years together, WPXI anchors Johnson, Finnegan defy odds