Riot at IUP includes shovels, baseball bats, machete
Police are investigating a riot in which students from Indiana University of Pennsylvania attacked each another with shovels, cinder blocks, baseball bats and a machete.
The incident was reported as "a large fight with weapons involved" at 2:18 a.m. Saturday near the Giant Eagle in the 600 block of Locust Street, said Indiana borough Patrolman Thomas Dessell. As police arrived, most of the people involved fled, Dessell said.
A preliminary investigation indicated two rival fraternities began the fight, Dessell said.
Several individuals were treated at the scene and released, Dessell said.
Borough police ask anyone with information related to this incident or those who may have seen any part of the fight to contact the department at 724-349-2121.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police identify driver in North Side crash that killed pregnant woman
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger says Saints game is ‘must win’
- Turkey Trot runners turn out to burn calories despite chilly Pittsburgh temps
- Starkey: Rutherford will add when timing’s right
- Steelers’ backups Archer, Harris ready to run
- Comeau’s hat trick leads Penguins; Crosby reaches 800 career points
- Apartment development outlined for former Schenley High School in Pittsburgh
- Pitt plays best game of the season in rout of Kansas State
- Defying the odds makes this Thanksgiving particularly poignant
- Queen of crime writing P.D. James dies at 94
- Pregnant woman struck by van in North Side dies; doctors save baby