Riot at IUP includes shovels, baseball bats, machete
Police are investigating a riot in which students from Indiana University of Pennsylvania attacked each another with shovels, cinder blocks, baseball bats and a machete.
The incident was reported as "a large fight with weapons involved" at 2:18 a.m. Saturday near the Giant Eagle in the 600 block of Locust Street, said Indiana borough Patrolman Thomas Dessell. As police arrived, most of the people involved fled, Dessell said.
A preliminary investigation indicated two rival fraternities began the fight, Dessell said.
Several individuals were treated at the scene and released, Dessell said.
Borough police ask anyone with information related to this incident or those who may have seen any part of the fight to contact the department at 724-349-2121.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Johnston must reach Malkin in Moscow
- Mont. senator’s thesis appears to have been plagarized
- Steelers are in familiar territory going into training camp in Latrobe
- Liriano, Snider lift Pirates to a victory over Dodgers at PNC Park
- New Penguins coach to meet with Malkin
- Pirates notebook: Recovering Cole exceeds expectations in simulated game
- Truck drivers taken to hospital after Pa. Turnpike crash in Butler County
- Fitzgerald stacks legislative wins as Allegheny council members struggle
- Hookah bar on tap for Greensburg
- Rising number of health care workers have less than 4-year degree, study shows
- PennDOT to stabilize rock slide along Penn Adamsburg Road in Hempfield