Riot at IUP includes shovels, baseball bats, machete
Police are investigating a riot in which students from Indiana University of Pennsylvania attacked each another with shovels, cinder blocks, baseball bats and a machete.
The incident was reported as "a large fight with weapons involved" at 2:18 a.m. Saturday near the Giant Eagle in the 600 block of Locust Street, said Indiana borough Patrolman Thomas Dessell. As police arrived, most of the people involved fled, Dessell said.
A preliminary investigation indicated two rival fraternities began the fight, Dessell said.
Several individuals were treated at the scene and released, Dessell said.
Borough police ask anyone with information related to this incident or those who may have seen any part of the fight to contact the department at 724-349-2121.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- PennDOT team decides what spells trouble on vehicle license plates
- Pirates get journeyman Ishikawa off waivers; outfielder Marte injured
- McIlroy, world’s No. 1 golfer, injures ankle playing soccer
- Fayette County man injured in WV fireworks mishap
- Alle-Kiski farmers: Crops weather heavy rain
- Alvarez homer triggers winning outburst for Pirates
- Woman shot at Kennywood Park in ‘freak accident’
- La Scuola d’Italia Galileo Galilei touts Pittsburgh’s Italian heritage
- Westmoreland County on pace to surpass record for drug-related fatalities
- ‘Iron Dog’ draws four-legged competitors from across the region
- Crane tips over, smashes into roof of building at Pitt