Man hangs self in SCI-Somerset cell, officials say
An inmate at SCI-Somerset hanged himself with a bedsheet Sunday, authorities said.
The death of 47-year-old Rodney Patterson was ruled a suicide, according to Somerset County Coroner Wallace Miller.
Patterson was unconscious and hanging by a bedsheet when correction officers, on routine rounds, saw him in a cell in the medical unit, prison officials said.
Medical staff provided emergency first aid, then county emergency workers arrived and continued treatment, prison officials said. Patterson was pronounced dead by medical staff at 6:40 p.m.
He was serving a 10- to 20-year sentence for a robbery in Philadelphia, prison officials said. He had been serving his sentence in the state prison in Huntingdon but was transferred to the Somerset Township facility for undisclosed medical reasons.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Dozens dead in gunfight on Mexico ranch
- Consumer prices rose in April for 3rd straight month
- Stocks end quiet week with loss
- Pirates’ McCutchen laughs off pay stub leak
- 28 evacuated as fire hits oil platform off Louisiana coast
- As oil production soars, so do pipeline leaks
- D.C. mansion murder suspect had help, police say
- ISIS solidifies grip on Syrian town of Palmyra
- Ireland voters expected to OK gay marriage
- Bacteria levels in water at VA Butler Healthcare too high
- Trooper fatally shoots burglary suspect inside Somerset Twp. grocery store