Man hangs self in SCI-Somerset cell, officials say
An inmate at SCI-Somerset hanged himself with a bedsheet Sunday, authorities said.
The death of 47-year-old Rodney Patterson was ruled a suicide, according to Somerset County Coroner Wallace Miller.
Patterson was unconscious and hanging by a bedsheet when correction officers, on routine rounds, saw him in a cell in the medical unit, prison officials said.
Medical staff provided emergency first aid, then county emergency workers arrived and continued treatment, prison officials said. Patterson was pronounced dead by medical staff at 6:40 p.m.
He was serving a 10- to 20-year sentence for a robbery in Philadelphia, prison officials said. He had been serving his sentence in the state prison in Huntingdon but was transferred to the Somerset Township facility for undisclosed medical reasons.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hit sends Penguins’ Letang to hospital
- NFL coaches weigh in on Polamalu’s legacy
- Mt. Lebanon native, Iraq war hero’s action goes unrewarded
- Pirates pitchers finding success with expanded strike zone
- Downie’s goal, fight spark Penguins to win over Coyotes
- Pirates notebook: Polanco’s power outburst a matter of timing
- Starkey: Next frontier for Steelers offense
- Shortfalls sabotage promise of a union retiree’s pension
- Alvarez latest in Pirates’ revolving door at first base
- Probiotic bacteria help conquer ‘superbugs’
- South Side house part of former Steeler’s end game