Man hangs self in SCI-Somerset cell, officials say
An inmate at SCI-Somerset hanged himself with a bedsheet Sunday, authorities said.
The death of 47-year-old Rodney Patterson was ruled a suicide, according to Somerset County Coroner Wallace Miller.
Patterson was unconscious and hanging by a bedsheet when correction officers, on routine rounds, saw him in a cell in the medical unit, prison officials said.
Medical staff provided emergency first aid, then county emergency workers arrived and continued treatment, prison officials said. Patterson was pronounced dead by medical staff at 6:40 p.m.
He was serving a 10- to 20-year sentence for a robbery in Philadelphia, prison officials said. He had been serving his sentence in the state prison in Huntingdon but was transferred to the Somerset Township facility for undisclosed medical reasons.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers finalize 53-man roster
- Pitt cruises past Delaware in season opener
- Rams cut Sam, 1st openly gay player drafted in NFL
- Fall preview: Neil Patrick Harris among coming autobiographers
- New heart drug gets top marks in study; cardiologist calls it significant breakthrough
- Decorating touches help retreats sparkle
- Beatles and the Burgh: 50th anniversary week celebrates city’s British Invasion
- McConnell aide quits as scandal brews over 2012 presidential campaign
- Former Steelers linebacker Harrison retires
- Squashing stereotypes has women learning carpentry
- California governor appeals ruling that struck down schoolteacher tenure