Man hangs self in SCI-Somerset cell, officials say
An inmate at SCI-Somerset hanged himself with a bedsheet Sunday, authorities said.
The death of 47-year-old Rodney Patterson was ruled a suicide, according to Somerset County Coroner Wallace Miller.
Patterson was unconscious and hanging by a bedsheet when correction officers, on routine rounds, saw him in a cell in the medical unit, prison officials said.
Medical staff provided emergency first aid, then county emergency workers arrived and continued treatment, prison officials said. Patterson was pronounced dead by medical staff at 6:40 p.m.
He was serving a 10- to 20-year sentence for a robbery in Philadelphia, prison officials said. He had been serving his sentence in the state prison in Huntingdon but was transferred to the Somerset Township facility for undisclosed medical reasons.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Komen acceptance of drilling-linked money raises ire
- Pirates acquire infielder from Indians, designate Axford, Gomez for assignment
- Linebacker Harrison coming along slowly since return to Steelers
- Jack Bruce, bassist of 60s band Cream, dies at 71
- Flight 93 memorial fire hints at struggle to safeguard historic artifacts
- Cafeteria worker tried to stop Washington school shooter
- Ferrante trial: Cyanide order form in plain sight
- Steelers notebook: Shazier returns just in time
- Fábregas: Cancer-stricken California woman chooses to plan her death
- Man robbed, shot in East Liberty
- Penguins look to buck shots, goals trend