Man hangs self in SCI-Somerset cell, officials say
An inmate at SCI-Somerset hanged himself with a bedsheet Sunday, authorities said.
The death of 47-year-old Rodney Patterson was ruled a suicide, according to Somerset County Coroner Wallace Miller.
Patterson was unconscious and hanging by a bedsheet when correction officers, on routine rounds, saw him in a cell in the medical unit, prison officials said.
Medical staff provided emergency first aid, then county emergency workers arrived and continued treatment, prison officials said. Patterson was pronounced dead by medical staff at 6:40 p.m.
He was serving a 10- to 20-year sentence for a robbery in Philadelphia, prison officials said. He had been serving his sentence in the state prison in Huntingdon but was transferred to the Somerset Township facility for undisclosed medical reasons.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Comeau’s hat trick leads Penguins; Crosby reaches career points
- Steelers’ backups Archer, Harris ready to run
- Pitt plays best game of the season; routs Kansas State
- Fatal crash closes Flight 93 chapel in Somerset County
- Pregnant woman struck by van in North Side dies; doctors save baby
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger says Saints game is ‘must win’
- Starkey: Rutherford will add when timing’s right
- Pirates notebook: Autographs to come at a cost at PirateFest
- PIT wants non-passengers allowed past security to shop
- Police on hunt for suspects in unrelated Penn Township, Manor cases
- Western Pa. business owners urge shoppers to think small