Man hangs self in SCI-Somerset cell, officials say
An inmate at SCI-Somerset hanged himself with a bedsheet Sunday, authorities said.
The death of 47-year-old Rodney Patterson was ruled a suicide, according to Somerset County Coroner Wallace Miller.
Patterson was unconscious and hanging by a bedsheet when correction officers, on routine rounds, saw him in a cell in the medical unit, prison officials said.
Medical staff provided emergency first aid, then county emergency workers arrived and continued treatment, prison officials said. Patterson was pronounced dead by medical staff at 6:40 p.m.
He was serving a 10- to 20-year sentence for a robbery in Philadelphia, prison officials said. He had been serving his sentence in the state prison in Huntingdon but was transferred to the Somerset Township facility for undisclosed medical reasons.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Dollars and sense: High cost of child care keeps many out of work force
- Reissue of book of album covers by Andy Warhol shows many sides of his art
- Woman hurt in fall from Harmar riverbank
- Federal judge rules oil and gas lease for Washington County tract is valid
- Former Cal U football player cleared of assault charges sues university, police, prosecutor
- Pa. House speaker says overriding Wolf’s budget veto ‘an option’
- Steelers QB Roethlisberger desires to be ‘Pittsburgh guy’
- Watering that garden right during summer’s high temperatures makes a difference
- Penguins to appear on national TV 18 times in 2015-16
- Rough ride for anti-Uber politicians
- Higher hotel tax will benefit Pittsburgh