Man hangs self in SCI-Somerset cell, officials say
An inmate at SCI-Somerset hanged himself with a bedsheet Sunday, authorities said.
The death of 47-year-old Rodney Patterson was ruled a suicide, according to Somerset County Coroner Wallace Miller.
Patterson was unconscious and hanging by a bedsheet when correction officers, on routine rounds, saw him in a cell in the medical unit, prison officials said.
Medical staff provided emergency first aid, then county emergency workers arrived and continued treatment, prison officials said. Patterson was pronounced dead by medical staff at 6:40 p.m.
He was serving a 10- to 20-year sentence for a robbery in Philadelphia, prison officials said. He had been serving his sentence in the state prison in Huntingdon but was transferred to the Somerset Township facility for undisclosed medical reasons.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Seven in custody after New Kensington drug raid
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- Bill Clinton to campaign next week for Tom Wolf in Pittsburgh
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic High School has interim principal
- 12-year-old’s donated heart joins families, lets her memory live
- Rossi: Steelers’ season all about going big
- Steelers notebook: Adams replaces concussed Gilbert
- Chevron’s $20M to improve Pennsylvania workforce
- Bortuzzo could provide much-needed physical presence for Penguins
- Sheriff’s sale delayed for historic Conneaut Lake Park