Man hangs self in SCI-Somerset cell, officials say
An inmate at SCI-Somerset hanged himself with a bedsheet Sunday, authorities said.
The death of 47-year-old Rodney Patterson was ruled a suicide, according to Somerset County Coroner Wallace Miller.
Patterson was unconscious and hanging by a bedsheet when correction officers, on routine rounds, saw him in a cell in the medical unit, prison officials said.
Medical staff provided emergency first aid, then county emergency workers arrived and continued treatment, prison officials said. Patterson was pronounced dead by medical staff at 6:40 p.m.
He was serving a 10- to 20-year sentence for a robbery in Philadelphia, prison officials said. He had been serving his sentence in the state prison in Huntingdon but was transferred to the Somerset Township facility for undisclosed medical reasons.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh fans pay tribute to ‘Mockingjay Part 1’
- Pirates cut ties with Davis, clearing path for Alvarez to play first base
- The WPIAL’s Top 10 football champions of all time
- Pittsburgh police find missing 12-year-old girl
- Review: ‘Mockingjay — Part 1’ a glum setup for ‘Hunger Games’ finale
- Carnegie Science Center adds legendary Buhl Planetarium to railroad village
- Child flown to Pittsburgh hospital after being struck by car in Beaver County
- Steelers notebook: Heinz Field not in play for Bills-Jets
- First Draft: Leave the wine corked and serve beer for Thanksgiving
- Education program comes full circle at UPG
- Pennsylvania officials say ‘new level of care needed with Ebola’