Man hangs self in SCI-Somerset cell, officials say
An inmate at SCI-Somerset hanged himself with a bedsheet Sunday, authorities said.
The death of 47-year-old Rodney Patterson was ruled a suicide, according to Somerset County Coroner Wallace Miller.
Patterson was unconscious and hanging by a bedsheet when correction officers, on routine rounds, saw him in a cell in the medical unit, prison officials said.
Medical staff provided emergency first aid, then county emergency workers arrived and continued treatment, prison officials said. Patterson was pronounced dead by medical staff at 6:40 p.m.
He was serving a 10- to 20-year sentence for a robbery in Philadelphia, prison officials said. He had been serving his sentence in the state prison in Huntingdon but was transferred to the Somerset Township facility for undisclosed medical reasons.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers trade punter Wing to Giants for pick
- LaBar: Best next opponent for Brock Lesnar
- Plum teacher asks judge to dismiss intimidation charges
- Judge convicts Homewood man of deadly jitney driver shooting
- Pitt forward Maia injured during workouts
- 4-year-old transplant recipient Angelo Giorno dies, hospital says
- Steelers laud decision, praise Brady for taking on Goodell
- With most starters resting, Steelers turn in lackluster loss at Heinz
- Construction to close roads in O’Hara, Baldwin Borough
- Young guns lead way into pivotal Pirates-Cardinals series
- Steelers notebook: Thomas, Moats only starting defensive players to see action vs. Panthers