Man hangs self in SCI-Somerset cell, officials say
An inmate at SCI-Somerset hanged himself with a bedsheet Sunday, authorities said.
The death of 47-year-old Rodney Patterson was ruled a suicide, according to Somerset County Coroner Wallace Miller.
Patterson was unconscious and hanging by a bedsheet when correction officers, on routine rounds, saw him in a cell in the medical unit, prison officials said.
Medical staff provided emergency first aid, then county emergency workers arrived and continued treatment, prison officials said. Patterson was pronounced dead by medical staff at 6:40 p.m.
He was serving a 10- to 20-year sentence for a robbery in Philadelphia, prison officials said. He had been serving his sentence in the state prison in Huntingdon but was transferred to the Somerset Township facility for undisclosed medical reasons.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers’ Pouncey to file countersuit against nightclub accusers
- Rossi: Roethlisberger staging big comeback
- Fans head to Jason Aldean concert in droves
- Penn State names Barbour new AD
- Steelers notebook: Mitchell to miss beginning of training camp
- 3 rockets hit Israel as Hamas rejects Gaza truce
- News Alert
- After year off, Steelers’ Pouncey ‘ready to go’
- Megan’s Law offender in Greensburg arrested when girl, 13, found hiding in shower
- Steelers cut linebacker Kion Wilson, sign cornerback Toler
- Steelers won’t negotiate Roethlisberger extension until after season