Man hangs self in SCI-Somerset cell, officials say
An inmate at SCI-Somerset hanged himself with a bedsheet Sunday, authorities said.
The death of 47-year-old Rodney Patterson was ruled a suicide, according to Somerset County Coroner Wallace Miller.
Patterson was unconscious and hanging by a bedsheet when correction officers, on routine rounds, saw him in a cell in the medical unit, prison officials said.
Medical staff provided emergency first aid, then county emergency workers arrived and continued treatment, prison officials said. Patterson was pronounced dead by medical staff at 6:40 p.m.
He was serving a 10- to 20-year sentence for a robbery in Philadelphia, prison officials said. He had been serving his sentence in the state prison in Huntingdon but was transferred to the Somerset Township facility for undisclosed medical reasons.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Locke pitches 8 scoreless innings as Pirates edge Indians
- Art Institute of Pittsburgh offers different kind of ‘Magic’ show
- Butler County continues to experience population growth
- Change buildings, but don’t shortchange them
- Opera Theater’s Summerfest ranges from classics to world premiere
- Government contractor FCi Federal expands into Butler
- Natrona Heights man’s work helps lure purple martins back to Harrison Hills Park
- Road Trip! Destination: The Merritt Parkway, Conn.
- Cooking Class: Pork and Cabbage Potstickers at Everyday Noodles
- Cranberry Township Community Days schedule of events
- Raspberry-lemon curd makes tasty DIY gifts