Man hangs self in SCI-Somerset cell, officials say
An inmate at SCI-Somerset hanged himself with a bedsheet Sunday, authorities said.
The death of 47-year-old Rodney Patterson was ruled a suicide, according to Somerset County Coroner Wallace Miller.
Patterson was unconscious and hanging by a bedsheet when correction officers, on routine rounds, saw him in a cell in the medical unit, prison officials said.
Medical staff provided emergency first aid, then county emergency workers arrived and continued treatment, prison officials said. Patterson was pronounced dead by medical staff at 6:40 p.m.
He was serving a 10- to 20-year sentence for a robbery in Philadelphia, prison officials said. He had been serving his sentence in the state prison in Huntingdon but was transferred to the Somerset Township facility for undisclosed medical reasons.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Cardinals grab victory over pitcher Cole, Pirates with a late rally
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Boston College football coach Addazio can’t get enough of the game
- Moon girls team is savoring a return to big-school soccer
- HS highlight reel: Red, White & Blue Invite set for Saturday
- TED Talks event to appeal to millenials
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Nearing 25 years together, WPXI anchors Johnson, Finnegan defy TV’s odds
- Gorman: Mt. Lebanon coach leads USA to gold