Erie woman who killed baby resentenced
A former Mercyhurst College student who smothered her newborn daughter in her Erie campus apartment has been resentenced to at least 40 months in prison.
Teri Rhodes, 22, of Commerce, Mich., had pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter and previously was sentenced to at least nine years in prison. She never began serving that sentence before it was overturned on appeal in December, prompting Friday's resentencing hearing.
Rhodes hid her pregnancy and killed the baby immediately after birth in August 2007.
The hearing was held after a Superior Court panel found Erie County Judge William Cunningham abused his discretion with the initial sentence.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Offense awakens to lead Steelers past Panthers
- Game changers: Turnover leads to elusive TD for Steelers
- Rossi: State of NFL gives Steelers a chance
- LaBar: Lackluster ending to WWE title match
- Steelers notebook: Rooney says owners support Goodell
- Researchers study ways to protect power grid from solar storms
- Pirates, Worley edge Brewers, 1-0, move to cusp of playoffs
- White House breach ‘a cry out for help,’ alleged intruder’s ex-wife says
- Pirates notebook: Bucs set single-season attendance record
- He hasn’t just fiddled around
- Man shot to death inside of Homewood bar