Erie woman who killed baby resentenced
A former Mercyhurst College student who smothered her newborn daughter in her Erie campus apartment has been resentenced to at least 40 months in prison.
Teri Rhodes, 22, of Commerce, Mich., had pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter and previously was sentenced to at least nine years in prison. She never began serving that sentence before it was overturned on appeal in December, prompting Friday's resentencing hearing.
Rhodes hid her pregnancy and killed the baby immediately after birth in August 2007.
The hearing was held after a Superior Court panel found Erie County Judge William Cunningham abused his discretion with the initial sentence.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Shazier returns just in time
- Script is it: Classic Pitt helmet design to return
- Penn Avenue site tops group’s preservation list
- 2 dead, including student gunman, after Wash. school shooting
- Predators winger Neal caught ‘blindsided’ by trade from Penguins
- Bruins lose star Chara to knee injury
- Hit-run motorist in Mt. Lebanon sought
- Doll, miniature collectors appreciate small details at Westmoreland show
- ‘Rocky Horror’ takes center stage at Regent Square, Greensburg venues
- Washington city takes stock of damage from rare tornado
- Blind players battle for chess championship