Newsmaker: Dr. P.S. Martin
Residence: Mt. Pleasant, Washington County
Family: Domestic partner, Ted Thompson; son, Zachary, 14
Occupation: Martin is director of pre-hospital services at Allegheny General Hospital and medical director of West Penn Allegheny Health System's LifeFlight program.
Noteworthy: He has been named president of the Air Medical Physicians Association, which provides education, research and networking for many of the more than 200 air medical programs in the United States. He will serve a two-year term as the organization's president.
Education: Bachelor of Arts in biology, 1992, West Virginia University; graduated from the university's School of Medicine in 1997
Background: Martin completed his emergency medicine residency at AGH in 2000 and joined the hospital as an attending physician. He became LifeFlight's medical director in 2003 and director of pre-hospital services in 2007. LifeFlight, which was the first hospital-based aeromedical transportation program in the Northeast, operates six helicopters at AGH and selected regional sites.
Quote: "Pre-hospital critical care medicine and EMS provide a unique environment where one can totally and anonymously step into someone's life, make a dramatic difference and step back out again without them even knowing. There is no better job satisfaction than that."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Beaver DA believes girls might have lived had dad responded faster
- Rossi: Johnston must reach Malkin in Moscow
- Steelers are in familiar territory going into training camp in Latrobe
- Ringgold School Board bans book in haste
- Uber, Lyft get tentative PUC permission to operate in Allegheny County
- Man tries to lure teen into white van in Hempfield, police report
- Interest high for Heinz Field soccer match between top Euro teams
- New Penguins coach to meet with Malkin
- Official: Air Algerie flight ‘probably crashed’
- Pirates notebook: Recovering Cole exceeds expectations in simulated game
- Liriano, Snider lift Pirates to a victory over Dodgers at PNC Park