Newsmaker: Dr. P.S. Martin
Residence: Mt. Pleasant, Washington County
Family: Domestic partner, Ted Thompson; son, Zachary, 14
Occupation: Martin is director of pre-hospital services at Allegheny General Hospital and medical director of West Penn Allegheny Health System's LifeFlight program.
Noteworthy: He has been named president of the Air Medical Physicians Association, which provides education, research and networking for many of the more than 200 air medical programs in the United States. He will serve a two-year term as the organization's president.
Education: Bachelor of Arts in biology, 1992, West Virginia University; graduated from the university's School of Medicine in 1997
Background: Martin completed his emergency medicine residency at AGH in 2000 and joined the hospital as an attending physician. He became LifeFlight's medical director in 2003 and director of pre-hospital services in 2007. LifeFlight, which was the first hospital-based aeromedical transportation program in the Northeast, operates six helicopters at AGH and selected regional sites.
Quote: "Pre-hospital critical care medicine and EMS provide a unique environment where one can totally and anonymously step into someone's life, make a dramatic difference and step back out again without them even knowing. There is no better job satisfaction than that."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 71-year-old among 2 charged in several Pittsburgh area burglaries
- Four issues that the Steelers need to take care of in September
- BVA assistant enjoys ‘special’ part of game
- Pitt well-stocked along offensive line
- Leader Times roundup: West Shamokin volleyball team wins 1st match in Class AA
- Rams cruise as soccer launches section play
- Pair share love of dance with youths in Fayette, Westmoreland
- Playoff losses motivate West Mifflin boys soccer
- Bell Township museum delighted to receive WWI uniform of prominent native son
- Principals question role of test scores in new evaluation process
- New Kensington residents vent anger at council meeting