Newsmaker: Dr. P.S. Martin
Residence: Mt. Pleasant, Washington County
Family: Domestic partner, Ted Thompson; son, Zachary, 14
Occupation: Martin is director of pre-hospital services at Allegheny General Hospital and medical director of West Penn Allegheny Health System's LifeFlight program.
Noteworthy: He has been named president of the Air Medical Physicians Association, which provides education, research and networking for many of the more than 200 air medical programs in the United States. He will serve a two-year term as the organization's president.
Education: Bachelor of Arts in biology, 1992, West Virginia University; graduated from the university's School of Medicine in 1997
Background: Martin completed his emergency medicine residency at AGH in 2000 and joined the hospital as an attending physician. He became LifeFlight's medical director in 2003 and director of pre-hospital services in 2007. LifeFlight, which was the first hospital-based aeromedical transportation program in the Northeast, operates six helicopters at AGH and selected regional sites.
Quote: "Pre-hospital critical care medicine and EMS provide a unique environment where one can totally and anonymously step into someone's life, make a dramatic difference and step back out again without them even knowing. There is no better job satisfaction than that."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High-speed chase ends in Duquesne crash
- Steelers cut Scobee, sign free agent kicker Boswell
- Are Pirates better positioned to win it all this postseason?
- Kessel addition, better health could have Pens scoring like it’s 1990s
- Penguins at a glance entering 2015-16 season
- New book credits Nunn for Steelers’ 1970s success
- Shaler man charged in death of girl, 6, not prosecuted in repeated alcohol cases
- WVU to host Oklahoma State at 7 p.m. Saturday
- Pitt holds off Virginia Tech in ACC opener
- Diminishing number of pilots takes toll on small airports in Western Pa.
- Girl battling cancer scratches item off bucket list with PNC Park trip