Newsmaker: Dr. P.S. Martin
Residence: Mt. Pleasant, Washington County
Family: Domestic partner, Ted Thompson; son, Zachary, 14
Occupation: Martin is director of pre-hospital services at Allegheny General Hospital and medical director of West Penn Allegheny Health System's LifeFlight program.
Noteworthy: He has been named president of the Air Medical Physicians Association, which provides education, research and networking for many of the more than 200 air medical programs in the United States. He will serve a two-year term as the organization's president.
Education: Bachelor of Arts in biology, 1992, West Virginia University; graduated from the university's School of Medicine in 1997
Background: Martin completed his emergency medicine residency at AGH in 2000 and joined the hospital as an attending physician. He became LifeFlight's medical director in 2003 and director of pre-hospital services in 2007. LifeFlight, which was the first hospital-based aeromedical transportation program in the Northeast, operates six helicopters at AGH and selected regional sites.
Quote: "Pre-hospital critical care medicine and EMS provide a unique environment where one can totally and anonymously step into someone's life, make a dramatic difference and step back out again without them even knowing. There is no better job satisfaction than that."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Founder of Z&M Cycle Sales in Hempfield killed in Florida motorcycle crash
- Starkey: Tomlin lived in his fears
- Increasing player salaries pinch financial flexibility of Pirates
- Slain St. Clair officer walked into ‘worst nightmare’ for police
- Steelers receiver Wheaton takes advantage of opportunity in breakout game
- Penguins’ reshuffled top line of Crosby, Dupuis, Kunitz looks familiar
- Film session: Long shots dotted Steelers’ passing game
- 2,200 union employees of ATI lose coverage
- 7 percent in Allegheny County able to carry concealed gun
- No. 11 Purdue presents tall order for Pitt
- Steelers notebook: Bryant confident in backup Jones if Big Ben can’t play