Somerset man faces 150 charges in child sex assaults
A Somerset man remains in jail after police filed more than 150 charges against him, many related to the alleged sexual assault of eight children.
John Wayne Hinton, 62, of 132 E. Sanner St. was arrested by Somerset police and is being held in the county jail on a $300,000 straight bond.
The charges filed with Somerset District Judge Arthur Cook include one count of rape, 26 counts of aggravated indecent assault, 26 counts of indecent assault, five counts of indecent exposure, eight counts of endangering the welfare of children, eight counts of corruption of minors, 50 counts of child pornography and 50 counts of obscene/sexual materials.
Police said the assaults occurred from May 2010 through July of this year.
On Aug. 2, two females reported Hinton assaulted them, according to court records. When questioned, Hinton admitted assaulting eight girls at two locations in Somerset.
All of the girls were younger than 13, police said. One child was 4, police said.
He admitted taking nude photographs of the girls, according to police.
Earlier this month, an analysis of Hinton's camera cards revealed numerous digital nude photos of children, police said.
Hinton faces a preliminary hearing today before Cook.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt offense eyes healthy balance
- Starkey: Century mark beckons for Ben
- Flyers continue mastery of Penguins at Consol
- Pittsburgh police warn residents about phone scam
- County explores state of Mon Valley area health
- Steelers’ defense on pace for fewest sacks in 16-game season
- 7 McKeesport letter carriers earn Million Mile status
- Pair of Operation Pork Chop trials delayed
- Canadians more fearful, aware after ‘very rare’ attack in Ottawa
- Buffalo Township grandma pleads guilty to selling hundreds of pounds of weed
- Wanted sex offender caught hiding in homemade fort in Washington County