Somerset man faces 150 charges in child sex assaults
A Somerset man remains in jail after police filed more than 150 charges against him, many related to the alleged sexual assault of eight children.
John Wayne Hinton, 62, of 132 E. Sanner St. was arrested by Somerset police and is being held in the county jail on a $300,000 straight bond.
The charges filed with Somerset District Judge Arthur Cook include one count of rape, 26 counts of aggravated indecent assault, 26 counts of indecent assault, five counts of indecent exposure, eight counts of endangering the welfare of children, eight counts of corruption of minors, 50 counts of child pornography and 50 counts of obscene/sexual materials.
Police said the assaults occurred from May 2010 through July of this year.
On Aug. 2, two females reported Hinton assaulted them, according to court records. When questioned, Hinton admitted assaulting eight girls at two locations in Somerset.
All of the girls were younger than 13, police said. One child was 4, police said.
He admitted taking nude photographs of the girls, according to police.
Earlier this month, an analysis of Hinton's camera cards revealed numerous digital nude photos of children, police said.
Hinton faces a preliminary hearing today before Cook.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Knoch secures 1st WPIAL title by defeating defending champion West Allegheny
- NFL notebook: Vikings coach delivers ultimatum to Peterson
- Concert business booming at Heinz Field this summer
- ‘Healthy Foods for Men’ lecture set for Wexford pavilion
- Country music superstar Chesney ‘still has it’
- Stocks bounce back from losses on reassurance from Greece
- Late goal gives Riverhounds victory over Tampa Bay in U.S. Open Cup
- Central Catholic downs Norwin to win 1st WPIAL baseball title
- Plum teacher, held for trial, vows to fight witness intimidation charge
- Healthy safety Mitchell is eager for 2nd season with Steelers
- State Sen. Matt Smith resigning to become Chamber president