Somerset man faces 150 charges in child sex assaults
A Somerset man remains in jail after police filed more than 150 charges against him, many related to the alleged sexual assault of eight children.
John Wayne Hinton, 62, of 132 E. Sanner St. was arrested by Somerset police and is being held in the county jail on a $300,000 straight bond.
The charges filed with Somerset District Judge Arthur Cook include one count of rape, 26 counts of aggravated indecent assault, 26 counts of indecent assault, five counts of indecent exposure, eight counts of endangering the welfare of children, eight counts of corruption of minors, 50 counts of child pornography and 50 counts of obscene/sexual materials.
Police said the assaults occurred from May 2010 through July of this year.
On Aug. 2, two females reported Hinton assaulted them, according to court records. When questioned, Hinton admitted assaulting eight girls at two locations in Somerset.
All of the girls were younger than 13, police said. One child was 4, police said.
He admitted taking nude photographs of the girls, according to police.
Earlier this month, an analysis of Hinton's camera cards revealed numerous digital nude photos of children, police said.
Hinton faces a preliminary hearing today before Cook.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: At start, are Pens already finished?
- Blairsville district judge placed on leave
- Police: Ambush suspect was military re-enactor
- Identical twins born at West Penn Hospital a rare medical marvel
- Hazelwood man blames repaving job for flooded basement, seeks $50K settlement
- Pittsburgh Public evacuates 3 schools after voicemail threat
- Western Pa. colleges to emphasize curricula for energy, industrial fields
- Sexual assault victim could receive $100K settlement from Pittsburgh
- Marshals make arrest in fatal Strip District shooting
- Orie denied bid to appeal conviction on corruption charges
- Second Mile seeks to sell land that was to be its headquarters