Fire contained at Washington County natural gas facility
A fire in equipment at a natural gas facility in Washington County today was extinguished before it could spread to the building in which it was housed, according to the Independence fire chief.
The fire broke out shortly before 11:30 a.m. in the motor of a compressor at the MarkWest Energy plant in the 600 block of Scenic Drive, said Chief Eric Temple. A company official said the building is equipped with a fire detection system that automatically shut down operations. There were no injuries.
The compressors are used to transfer natural gas through a pipeline, according to a MarkWest spokesman. The state police fire marshal is investigating.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 2 found dead in Harrison home
- Mother, baby found dead in Millvale apartment
- Steelers sign former ACC Player of the Year Boyd for QB depth
- Polamalu could be next in long line of Steelers greats given unceremonial exit
- Experts: Clinton took dangerous path with email system
- Allegheny County Controller candidates quarrel 2 days before Dem endorsement vote
- Wolf reverses Corbett, says deal between Highmark, UPMC doesn’t limit continuity of care to very ill
- Scottdale man charged with raping child in 1990s
- Accident near Highland Park Bridge backs up Route 28 traffic
- Search for bomb turns up nothing at Kittanning school
- Route 422 closed after serious accident in Kittanning Township