Fire contained at Washington County natural gas facility
A fire in equipment at a natural gas facility in Washington County today was extinguished before it could spread to the building in which it was housed, according to the Independence fire chief.
The fire broke out shortly before 11:30 a.m. in the motor of a compressor at the MarkWest Energy plant in the 600 block of Scenic Drive, said Chief Eric Temple. A company official said the building is equipped with a fire detection system that automatically shut down operations. There were no injuries.
The compressors are used to transfer natural gas through a pipeline, according to a MarkWest spokesman. The state police fire marshal is investigating.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Raptor system helps to protect Ringgold students
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- McKeesport Area first-grader brings toy gun on school bus
- 12-year-old’s donated heart joins families, lets her memory live
- Retired U.S. Marine general key speaker
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- New Kensington officials eager to demolish 3 fire-ravaged buildings
- Kin of 2013 DUI crash victim in Hempfield lose young family in fire
- Monessen pressed on sewage project
- Pa. Supreme Court Justice McCaffery suspended in email porn scandal
- Connellsville native Stafford remembered for her generosity