Fire contained at Washington County natural gas facility
A fire in equipment at a natural gas facility in Washington County today was extinguished before it could spread to the building in which it was housed, according to the Independence fire chief.
The fire broke out shortly before 11:30 a.m. in the motor of a compressor at the MarkWest Energy plant in the 600 block of Scenic Drive, said Chief Eric Temple. A company official said the building is equipped with a fire detection system that automatically shut down operations. There were no injuries.
The compressors are used to transfer natural gas through a pipeline, according to a MarkWest spokesman. The state police fire marshal is investigating.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Authorities release name of Greensburg man who jumped off overpass onto Route 30
- Operating loss widens at Highmark parent
- Penguins a love affair for Evancho sisters
- Starkey: Penguins’ season impressive so far
- VA, police looking into suicide by veteran outside O’Hara facility
- Jury deliberating in dispute over origin of Heinz ‘Dip & Squeeze’ ketchup package
- Big names highlight Three Rivers Arts Festival’s 2015 musical lineup
- District attorney will review grand jury’s report on AG Kane
- Pittsburgh diocese eliminates fees for marriage annulments
- Controversial McKeesport building destroyed by fire
- Judge declares mistrial in retrial of 2003 Spring Garden homicide