Fire contained at Washington County natural gas facility
A fire in equipment at a natural gas facility in Washington County today was extinguished before it could spread to the building in which it was housed, according to the Independence fire chief.
The fire broke out shortly before 11:30 a.m. in the motor of a compressor at the MarkWest Energy plant in the 600 block of Scenic Drive, said Chief Eric Temple. A company official said the building is equipped with a fire detection system that automatically shut down operations. There were no injuries.
The compressors are used to transfer natural gas through a pipeline, according to a MarkWest spokesman. The state police fire marshal is investigating.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Machine operator avoids serious injuries in accident in North Huntingdon
- York man, 21, accused of assaulting Indiana Borough police officer
- Person rescued from McKees Rocks fire
- Rescuers carry injured person up hillside near Phipps Conservatory
- ‘1954’: A glimpse of baseball drama
- Water service restored to CMU campus
- Google grants teachers’ school supply wishes
- Hospitals turn to technology to tear down language barriers with patients
- Indiana Regional Medical Center marks centennial with book, campus addition
- Brush Valley club members promote interest in antique tractors
- MarksJarvis: Benefits, not just pay, hit the skids