Fire contained at Washington County natural gas facility
A fire in equipment at a natural gas facility in Washington County today was extinguished before it could spread to the building in which it was housed, according to the Independence fire chief.
The fire broke out shortly before 11:30 a.m. in the motor of a compressor at the MarkWest Energy plant in the 600 block of Scenic Drive, said Chief Eric Temple. A company official said the building is equipped with a fire detection system that automatically shut down operations. There were no injuries.
The compressors are used to transfer natural gas through a pipeline, according to a MarkWest spokesman. The state police fire marshal is investigating.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Bubble players get last chance to impress Steelers
- 4-year-old transplant recipient Angelo Giorno from Derry on life support, family says
- Steelers accomplish mission to get younger, faster on defense
- Movement along the offensive line continues for Pitt as opener approaches
- Jeannette native Pryor’s fate hangs in balance
- Hacker stuns Dayton family with computer takeover
- MLB notebook: Fenway fan injured after trying to catch foul ball
- Don’t miss matchups for Week 1 of WPIAL football season
- Valley will feature dynamic duo in Bradley, King
- Penn State impact safety Allen working to improve
- In reworking contract, Steelers WR Brown gets hefty pay raise