Topless woman stops traffic in Monongahela
A nearly naked Donora woman parading through downtown Monongahela caused traffic to come to a standstill Monday.
Monongahela police Chief Brian Tempest said officers were called to the 400 block of West Main Street, near McDonald's, at 3:18 p.m. after motorists saw the woman wearing only her underpants.
Tempest said she was walking "dead center" in the middle of the busy downtown street, causing both lanes in the 400 and 500 blocks of West Main Street to come to a halt.
Motorists told police the woman, whose name was not released, parked her car along the street and was topless when she got out of the car.
She eventually took off her pants and threw her shoes at a passing car, Tempest said.
At one point, the woman allegedly struck a female at the Bee's Nest Cafe in the 200 block of Main Street.
When police arrived, the topless woman allegedly resisted arrest and became belligerent with the city officer and a state trooper, Tempest said.
She was eventually handcuffed and transported by ambulance to Monongahela Valley Hospital in Carroll Township.
Tempest said the officers were met at the hospital by mental health personnel.
The chief said he wasn't releasing the woman's name Tuesday because she was being evaluated.
"Right now, we want to see that she is taken care of first. Charges could be filed in the future," Tempest said.
Tempest said news of the bizarre incident spread quickly, as motorists began snapping photos of the woman with their cell phones.
By Tuesday morning, the photos had gone viral on the Internet.
"I was in South Park taking a (training) class when my phone starting ringing," Tempest said. "In today's age, everyone has a cell phone with a camera."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh Regatta will go on without boats, water events
- Rossi: Rutherford shines as old boss pouts
- Record-breaking solar-powered plane lands in Hawaii after flight from Japan
- Homebrewers timid when choosing commercial styles
- Crane tips over, smashes into roof of building at Pitt
- Public implored to avoid iPhone cases that resemble guns
- Former Jeannette coach held for trial on charges of assault on teen girls
- Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Tigers
- LaBar: What’s killing professional wrestling
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Indians, July 3, 2015
- Shaken by economic, political turmoil, MLB forsaking Venezuela