Route 22 in Murrysville reopened after accident
The eastbound lanes of Route 22 in Salem Township in Westmoreland County reopened this afternoon after being closed for nearly three hours following an accident between a tractor trailer and a box truck.
No serious injuries were reported in the accident at 11:50 a.m. that occurred between a box truck and a tractor-trailer. The crash about one mile east of the Route 819 intersection and forced the closing of both the eastbound and westbound lanes, where the crash occurred, while emergency crews cleaned up a fuel spill.
The westbound lanes were expected to reopen by approximately 4 p.m., police said.
Police said the Westmoreland County Hazardous Materials team was summoned to assist Slickville and New Alexandria firefighters at the scene. The accident occurred about one mile east of the Route 819 intersection at White Thorne Road.
Authorities at the scene reported that a second diesel fuel spill occurred near the first accident when a tractor-trailer was attempted to avoid colliding with stopped traffic from the initial accident.
State police in Kiski are investigating the accident.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Southmoreland High School junior’s broken jaw ‘could have been avoided’
- Sutersville principal’s comments taken out of context, district claims
- Woman charged with assault spree in Jeannette
- Jeannette pleads for more state help
- Jeannette purse-snatching suspects to stand trial in 5 incidents
- Former Pagans leader works out plea agreement
- Treatment ponds for mine drainage planned for Unity
- 2 suspects charged with second robbery in Hempfield
- Donegal Township families fight driller to get clean water
- Greensburg finalizes deal to provide sign language interpreter for soccer program
- Police: Penn Township man was ‘lonely,’ so he called 911