Vacancy filled on Hempfield Area School Board
The Hempfield Area School Board on Monday appointed Helen Turkalj to replace Director Jeff Weber, who resigned this month to fill the seat of another school director who resigned.
Her appointment will be short-lived.
Turkalj, 55, of Timber Trail will serve for two meetings before her appointment expires, board President John Henry said.
Weber, who lost a bid for re-election in the primary, was appointed this month to replace Tim Miller, who resigned in September. Miller had two years remaining on his term.
After Weber was appointed, the board had to fill his position, which expires in November.
"The seat should be filled," Henry said. "She comes to meetings and has some background."
Turkalj will serve at the November work session and the regular board meeting. She did not respond to a request for comment.
Voters will fill four seats on the board next month.
There are five candidates for four seats on the Hempfield Area School Board in the Nov. 3 general election. They include incumbents Sonya Brajdich, Diane Ciabattoni and Robert McDonald, who all won the Republican and Democratic nominations in the spring, and Democrat Barbara Italiano and Republican Joe Lutz.
The new directors will take office in December.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County
- Westmoreland judges’ caseloads unlikely to affect district boundary changes
- New Ohiopyle park manager ready for big challenge that comes with job
- Mt. Pleasant seeks on-street bike trail through downtown
- Northampton man has four major drug arrests in Western Pa. since 2009
- Franklin Regional security guard fighting to get job back
- ‘Extreme extrovert’ takes over at WCCC
- St. Michael’s volunteers cook up festival delights
- Jeannette traffic stop leads to drug charges
- Chemical mix sickens two from South Greensburg
- Slickville murderer’s appeal tossed