Vacancy filled on Hempfield Area School Board
The Hempfield Area School Board on Monday appointed Helen Turkalj to replace Director Jeff Weber, who resigned this month to fill the seat of another school director who resigned.
Her appointment will be short-lived.
Turkalj, 55, of Timber Trail will serve for two meetings before her appointment expires, board President John Henry said.
Weber, who lost a bid for re-election in the primary, was appointed this month to replace Tim Miller, who resigned in September. Miller had two years remaining on his term.
After Weber was appointed, the board had to fill his position, which expires in November.
"The seat should be filled," Henry said. "She comes to meetings and has some background."
Turkalj will serve at the November work session and the regular board meeting. She did not respond to a request for comment.
Voters will fill four seats on the board next month.
There are five candidates for four seats on the Hempfield Area School Board in the Nov. 3 general election. They include incumbents Sonya Brajdich, Diane Ciabattoni and Robert McDonald, who all won the Republican and Democratic nominations in the spring, and Democrat Barbara Italiano and Republican Joe Lutz.
The new directors will take office in December.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Former police officer who was indicted found dead in Massachusetts home
- Steelers notebook: Linebacker Timmons hoping for contract extension
- South Butler students push composting as a way to slow food waste
- Miami (Fla.) gets prepared to take on ‘physical’ Pitt team
- School lunch group hopes to revise rules it calls impractical, too restrictive
- Amazon raises bar for other retailers with same-day delivery
- Penguins 4th line is showing promise
- Holiday shopping season off to early start in Mon Valley
- Pittsburgh nonprofit 412 Food Rescue takes surplus food to needy
- Western Pa. dairies get creative to ensure eggnog supply
- Western Pa. students bristle at changing menu choices