Vacancy filled on Hempfield Area School Board
The Hempfield Area School Board on Monday appointed Helen Turkalj to replace Director Jeff Weber, who resigned this month to fill the seat of another school director who resigned.
Her appointment will be short-lived.
Turkalj, 55, of Timber Trail will serve for two meetings before her appointment expires, board President John Henry said.
Weber, who lost a bid for re-election in the primary, was appointed this month to replace Tim Miller, who resigned in September. Miller had two years remaining on his term.
After Weber was appointed, the board had to fill his position, which expires in November.
"The seat should be filled," Henry said. "She comes to meetings and has some background."
Turkalj will serve at the November work session and the regular board meeting. She did not respond to a request for comment.
Voters will fill four seats on the board next month.
There are five candidates for four seats on the Hempfield Area School Board in the Nov. 3 general election. They include incumbents Sonya Brajdich, Diane Ciabattoni and Robert McDonald, who all won the Republican and Democratic nominations in the spring, and Democrat Barbara Italiano and Republican Joe Lutz.
The new directors will take office in December.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Corbett rips Wolf tax proposals during Hempfield campaign stop
- Laurel Mountain ski plan needs more information, planners say
- Ligonier Township zoning officer resigns
- Former Penn-Trafford student put on house arrest for drug sales
- Rostraver woman, 91, injured in home invasion; 3 sought
- One-day lane restrictions set on Route 30 in North Huntingdon
- Ligonier Township wants more info on cell tower proposal
- Greensburg driver charged after ATV struck on rail tracks
- Latrobe Municipal Authority appeals DEP order
- Make A Difference Day is Saturday
- Line painting planned in Penn Township