Vacancy filled on Hempfield Area School Board
The Hempfield Area School Board on Monday appointed Helen Turkalj to replace Director Jeff Weber, who resigned this month to fill the seat of another school director who resigned.
Her appointment will be short-lived.
Turkalj, 55, of Timber Trail will serve for two meetings before her appointment expires, board President John Henry said.
Weber, who lost a bid for re-election in the primary, was appointed this month to replace Tim Miller, who resigned in September. Miller had two years remaining on his term.
After Weber was appointed, the board had to fill his position, which expires in November.
"The seat should be filled," Henry said. "She comes to meetings and has some background."
Turkalj will serve at the November work session and the regular board meeting. She did not respond to a request for comment.
Voters will fill four seats on the board next month.
There are five candidates for four seats on the Hempfield Area School Board in the Nov. 3 general election. They include incumbents Sonya Brajdich, Diane Ciabattoni and Robert McDonald, who all won the Republican and Democratic nominations in the spring, and Democrat Barbara Italiano and Republican Joe Lutz.
The new directors will take office in December.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Tenant charged in fire that destroyed Latrobe apartment house
- Vandals ruin Ligonier Township farmers’ garden
- Ex-Delmont man found dead in Florida
- Ligonier Township K-9 officer home to recover from deadly collision
- Unity resident again accused of burglary
- Westmoreland Veterans’ Monument unveiled, rededicated in Greensburg
- Greensburg, Youngwood pools opening for the season May 30
- Penn Township man pleads guilty to assaulting 3 police officers
- Foes of South Huntingdon gas-fired plant fight approval
- Westmoreland jail warden pushes for full-body scanner to find drugs, contraband