2 schools to get repairs to roofs in Belle Vernon Area
Members of Belle Vernon Area School Board approved repairs to two of nine critical areas on the roofs of the district's buildings at a meeting this week.
Directors accepted the bid to replace a section of the roof at Rostraver Elementary School and restore a section of roof at Bellmar Middle School to County Roofing and Heating Inc., Jeannette, for $236,937.
A coating will be used on the middle school roof over the gymnasium that should extend the life of the roof for 20 years, board Vice President Joe Grata said.
Two sections of the elementary school roof will be replaced over the cafeteria and administrative offices, he said.
"We have nine roof sections in the school district that have been determined to need major repair, so this will take care of three of them," he said, adding that the third critical area over the Bellmar Middle School gymnasium was repaired last year.
Grata said administrators are looking into creating a "green" roof over the Belle Vernon Area High School cafeteria through funding from the federal government, which would add plants to the top of the structure to provide insulation and save energy.
Funds for the improvements will come from a $1.4 million prescription drug plan refund from the Westmoreland County Healthcare Consortium discussed at the board's January meeting, Grata said.
"We just set that aside for capital improvements," he said.
The projects are to be completed by Oct. 31.
In other business, the board approved the resignation of Director James M. McKevitt, who submitted a letter July 21.
Neither McKevitt's letter nor board members gave a reason for his decision to step down.
Before an agenda item to hire a new high school vice principal, the board called an executive session at the end of the meeting to discuss personnel matters.
After the session, the board recessed the meeting until 6 p.m. Aug. 2 at the administration building to discuss the vice principal position and the vacancy on the board.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- He hasn’t just fiddled around
- At 87, Rostraver man still entertains fans of polka music
- Machine operator avoids serious injuries in accident in North Huntingdon
- 1 injured in Mt. Pleasant Twp. accident
- Greensburg finalizes deal to provide sign language interpreter for soccer program
- Harhai campaign emails from 2007 under review, Westmoreland County DA says
- 2 suspects charged with second robbery in Hempfield
- Jeannette purse-snatching suspects to stand trial in 5 incidents
- Expansion in works for Mt. Pleasant Glass Museum