Hempfield man accused of shooting wife Sunday night
A Hempfield man is accused of shooting his wife Sunday night in their home, state police in Greensburg reported.
James and Judy Shirer of 94 Rockwell Drive were arguing inside their home just after 9 p.m. when James Shirer fired a .357 Magnum at close range at his wife, striking her in the shoulder, police said.
Judy Shirer, 58, was taken to UPMC Presbyterian hospital in Pittsburgh by medical helicopter. Police said she was listed in critical condition.
James Shirer, 63, was charged with attempted homicide, aggravated assault, simple assault and reckless endangerment, police said. He was arraigned by Hempfield District Judge Mark Mansur and sent to the Westmoreland County Prison after failing to post $250,000 bond.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Penn Township teen allegedly drunk at time of police chase, crash
- Ethics panel: It’s OK for Westmoreland commissioner to do business with municipalities
- More charged filed against Derry Township man who allegedly held woman at knifepoint
- Friends of Homeless Felines marks 10 years in Scottdale
- Father, son killed in East Huntingdon crash
- Consent decree that limits weddings at Foxley Farms ruled valid
- Police: Westmoreland women stole thousands to pay for dog show hobby
- Penn Township man seeking gun permit accused of bringing heroin to courthouse
- Man snatches purse behind Westmoreland Mall
- YouTube campaign by Latrobe 4-year-old aids Alzheimer’s Association
- Adelphoi resident charged as adult in Latrobe assault