Hempfield man accused of shooting wife Sunday night
A Hempfield man is accused of shooting his wife Sunday night in their home, state police in Greensburg reported.
James and Judy Shirer of 94 Rockwell Drive were arguing inside their home just after 9 p.m. when James Shirer fired a .357 Magnum at close range at his wife, striking her in the shoulder, police said.
Judy Shirer, 58, was taken to UPMC Presbyterian hospital in Pittsburgh by medical helicopter. Police said she was listed in critical condition.
James Shirer, 63, was charged with attempted homicide, aggravated assault, simple assault and reckless endangerment, police said. He was arraigned by Hempfield District Judge Mark Mansur and sent to the Westmoreland County Prison after failing to post $250,000 bond.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- New Derry woman charged after mail delivery of 4 pounds of marijuana
- Salem man, in lockup in Greensburg shooting, charged with threatening to kill prison guard
- Former Steelers LB Haggans to do time in Westmoreland jail
- Youngwood advances grease trap ordinance
- Derry Township auto shop owner finds theft suspect hiding inside
- 2 accused of taking baby to New Kensington drug deal get probation
- Ligonier Township residents voice concern to supervisors about new zoning ordinance
- Tanker crash closes lane of Turnpike in Penn Township
- Greensburg YMCA plans to restore front porch to 1913 look
- Electricity deal eyed for Latrobe
- New Year’s Eve sales set LCB record