Hempfield man accused of shooting wife Sunday night
A Hempfield man is accused of shooting his wife Sunday night in their home, state police in Greensburg reported.
James and Judy Shirer of 94 Rockwell Drive were arguing inside their home just after 9 p.m. when James Shirer fired a .357 Magnum at close range at his wife, striking her in the shoulder, police said.
Judy Shirer, 58, was taken to UPMC Presbyterian hospital in Pittsburgh by medical helicopter. Police said she was listed in critical condition.
James Shirer, 63, was charged with attempted homicide, aggravated assault, simple assault and reckless endangerment, police said. He was arraigned by Hempfield District Judge Mark Mansur and sent to the Westmoreland County Prison after failing to post $250,000 bond.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Spirit Airlines lifts fortunes of Arnold Palmer Regional Airport
- Hempfield man dies in single-vehicle accident
- Land costs for New Stanton turnpike interchange project reach $4.2M
- 2 Hempfield Area students charged with sexting
- Murrysville woman apologizes for scholarship fund theft
- Donors’ generosity allows Clairview School girls to get fancy for prom
- Ligonier Valley YMCA marks start of 32,000-square-foot expansion
- Seton Hill student tells how Pa. Gov. Wolf’s tax plan will hurt her
- Hempfield bicyclist who brought rock, knives into court office charged
- Jeannette’s Monsour Medical Center demolition costs might go down
- Police seek public help with East Huntingdon store thefts