Hempfield man accused of shooting wife Sunday night
A Hempfield man is accused of shooting his wife Sunday night in their home, state police in Greensburg reported.
James and Judy Shirer of 94 Rockwell Drive were arguing inside their home just after 9 p.m. when James Shirer fired a .357 Magnum at close range at his wife, striking her in the shoulder, police said.
Judy Shirer, 58, was taken to UPMC Presbyterian hospital in Pittsburgh by medical helicopter. Police said she was listed in critical condition.
James Shirer, 63, was charged with attempted homicide, aggravated assault, simple assault and reckless endangerment, police said. He was arraigned by Hempfield District Judge Mark Mansur and sent to the Westmoreland County Prison after failing to post $250,000 bond.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Bushy Run Battlefield upgrades to include trail, signs, landscaping
- Youngwood Fire Department to dedicate memorial at station
- Greensburg police captain to attend highly selective academy
- Historic Greensburg Art Center joins Cat’s Meow collection
- Families welcome new members on Adoption Day in Westmoreland County
- Police on hunt for suspects in unrelated Penn Township, Manor cases
- Fall fly-by: Blue Angels stop in Unity to discuss 2015 show
- Westmoreland County, state AG to get funds from illegal lottery
- Man charged in New Stanton Sunoco robbery
- Woman sought in robbery in Unity
- Food drive volunteer in Westmoreland County has purse stolen