Hempfield man accused of shooting wife Sunday night
A Hempfield man is accused of shooting his wife Sunday night in their home, state police in Greensburg reported.
James and Judy Shirer of 94 Rockwell Drive were arguing inside their home just after 9 p.m. when James Shirer fired a .357 Magnum at close range at his wife, striking her in the shoulder, police said.
Judy Shirer, 58, was taken to UPMC Presbyterian hospital in Pittsburgh by medical helicopter. Police said she was listed in critical condition.
James Shirer, 63, was charged with attempted homicide, aggravated assault, simple assault and reckless endangerment, police said. He was arraigned by Hempfield District Judge Mark Mansur and sent to the Westmoreland County Prison after failing to post $250,000 bond.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Knife-wielding man attacks 2 in Sheetz lot in Greensburg
- Franklin Regional stabbing suspect could leave Pa. for treatment
- Ex-clerk convicted of stealing more than $116K from WCCC avoids jail
- Bolivar couple charged with endangerment; baby nearly drowned, police say
- Butler blasting worker in North Huntingdon water main break put on probation
- Police: Charges unwarranted for Yough shop class project
- Greensburg man pleads guilty to lesser charges in altercation
- Youngwood Council to pick solicitor from ‘good mix’
- Delmont must address access road for gas station
- Chief says Youngwood house fire is suspicious
- Fundraising under way for Indiana County newborn struck by stray bullet