Hempfield man accused of shooting wife Sunday night
A Hempfield man is accused of shooting his wife Sunday night in their home, state police in Greensburg reported.
James and Judy Shirer of 94 Rockwell Drive were arguing inside their home just after 9 p.m. when James Shirer fired a .357 Magnum at close range at his wife, striking her in the shoulder, police said.
Judy Shirer, 58, was taken to UPMC Presbyterian hospital in Pittsburgh by medical helicopter. Police said she was listed in critical condition.
James Shirer, 63, was charged with attempted homicide, aggravated assault, simple assault and reckless endangerment, police said. He was arraigned by Hempfield District Judge Mark Mansur and sent to the Westmoreland County Prison after failing to post $250,000 bond.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Builder finds calling as chaplain at Westmoreland jail
- Water service restored in Derry after leaks
- WCCC revises purchasing policy
- Scholarship fund at St. Vincent to honor Kennametal exec
- Mt. Pleasant-based author details area’s ‘Hidden History’
- Westmoreland, Fayette towns prepare to ring in holidays
- Reputed Pagans leaders in court this week on drug charges
- Westmoreland, Fayette groups open doors to share Thanksgiving meals
- Trio invade Hempfield home, flee in sports car
- 3 gunmen sought in Hempfield home invasion
- Homewood man faces drug charges after chase in Trafford