Driver, 84, cited in Mt. Pleasant Township accident that injured worker
An 84-year-old driver who struck and seriously injured a Waste Management worker last month in Mt. Pleasant Township has been given a traffic citation.
Lawrence Zelenak of Southwest was cited for driving at an unsafe speed before District Judge Roger Eckels after a state police investigation into the Jan. 24 accident.
Zelenak's car struck and seriously injured Matthew Kelly, 27, of Homer City. Police said Kelly had just emptied a garbage can on Hecla Road near Academy Lane when he was hit.
The victim was pinned between Zelenak's Chevrolet Cavalier and the garbage truck, police reported. Police said although the truck had its lights activated and Kelly was wearing a reflective vest, Zelenak did not see Kelly.
Kelly suffered multiple leg fractures and was taken by medical helicopter to Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh. He is no longer listed as a patient there.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- North Huntingdon church shaken by youth pastor’s child porn rap
- East Huntingdon man, 91, finds 2nd career as a woodworker
- Westmoreland group gets pet oxygen masks for area fire departments
- Scottdale appoints borough solicitor
- Seat in 32nd District deemed crucial for Pennsylvania Senate control
- Greensburg merchants offer soup for a charitable Claus
- Derry man jailed in scuffle with police
- Hempfield Hunt Club gets waiver to speed construction in New Stanton
- Westmoreland County may relax free ride-share rules
- Latrobe police officer sues councilman, city for slander
- Laurel Highlands Visitors Bureau picks Ohiopyle restaurateur for entrepreneur of year