Driver, 84, cited in Mt. Pleasant Township accident that injured worker
An 84-year-old driver who struck and seriously injured a Waste Management worker last month in Mt. Pleasant Township has been given a traffic citation.
Lawrence Zelenak of Southwest was cited for driving at an unsafe speed before District Judge Roger Eckels after a state police investigation into the Jan. 24 accident.
Zelenak's car struck and seriously injured Matthew Kelly, 27, of Homer City. Police said Kelly had just emptied a garbage can on Hecla Road near Academy Lane when he was hit.
The victim was pinned between Zelenak's Chevrolet Cavalier and the garbage truck, police reported. Police said although the truck had its lights activated and Kelly was wearing a reflective vest, Zelenak did not see Kelly.
Kelly suffered multiple leg fractures and was taken by medical helicopter to Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh. He is no longer listed as a patient there.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- State police trooper seriously hurt when hit by vehicle in East Huntingdon
- Greensburg torture killer seeks reduction in sentence
- Razing of Monsour Medical Center in Jeannette within reach with $1M grant
- Herminie woman, 18, dies after car accident in Turkeytown
- Fund set up for 4-year-old Meyersdale girl’s final expenses
- Westmoreland County Historical Society honors late Tribune-Review publisher Scaife, Fort Ligonier trustee emeritus Fagan
- Hribal’s attorney seeks to push back trial
- Westmoreland County to auction guns, vehicles
- Fire marshal rules Derry mobile home fire was accidental
- Armed robber lurks near ATM in New Stanton
- Trust for Hempfield cemetery low on cash; bank asks to be absolved of responsibility