Driver, 84, cited in Mt. Pleasant Township accident that injured worker
An 84-year-old driver who struck and seriously injured a Waste Management worker last month in Mt. Pleasant Township has been given a traffic citation.
Lawrence Zelenak of Southwest was cited for driving at an unsafe speed before District Judge Roger Eckels after a state police investigation into the Jan. 24 accident.
Zelenak's car struck and seriously injured Matthew Kelly, 27, of Homer City. Police said Kelly had just emptied a garbage can on Hecla Road near Academy Lane when he was hit.
The victim was pinned between Zelenak's Chevrolet Cavalier and the garbage truck, police reported. Police said although the truck had its lights activated and Kelly was wearing a reflective vest, Zelenak did not see Kelly.
Kelly suffered multiple leg fractures and was taken by medical helicopter to Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh. He is no longer listed as a patient there.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Southwest Greensburg man died of injuries in accident in Bell
- Route 217 bridge across Loyalhanna Creek reopens early
- Missing Southwest Greensburg man found dead at crash site in Bell
- The real Captain Phillips brings story of piracy to St. Vincent College
- Former Ligonier Township supervisor accused of abusing position, viewing porn on the job
- Redstone gets $90K grant for safety upgrade
- Mt. Pleasant man injured when tractor hit by vehicle
- Corbett rips Wolf tax proposals during Hempfield campaign stop
- Laurel Mountain State Park ski plans will go to Ligonier Township supervisors
- Municipal Authority of Westmoreland County upgrades emergency communications plan
- Records access charges will rise in Westmoreland County