Driver, 84, cited in Mt. Pleasant Township accident that injured worker
An 84-year-old driver who struck and seriously injured a Waste Management worker last month in Mt. Pleasant Township has been given a traffic citation.
Lawrence Zelenak of Southwest was cited for driving at an unsafe speed before District Judge Roger Eckels after a state police investigation into the Jan. 24 accident.
Zelenak's car struck and seriously injured Matthew Kelly, 27, of Homer City. Police said Kelly had just emptied a garbage can on Hecla Road near Academy Lane when he was hit.
The victim was pinned between Zelenak's Chevrolet Cavalier and the garbage truck, police reported. Police said although the truck had its lights activated and Kelly was wearing a reflective vest, Zelenak did not see Kelly.
Kelly suffered multiple leg fractures and was taken by medical helicopter to Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh. He is no longer listed as a patient there.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mt. Pleasant Township Lions Club to host all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast
- Latrobe infant found in filth, police say
- Officials criticize West Newton code enforcement officer
- East Deer man chastised by Westmoreland judge, paroled, released
- Fickle weather gives pumpkin growers in Pennsylvania fits
- Hempfield woman bounces back from serious car crash
- Man pleads guilty to assaulting girl, 14, in Westmoreland
- Westmoreland subsidy that helps finance Spirit Airlines draws scrutiny
- Fire damages home in Greensburg
- Greensburg mayor race features write-in hopeful vs. businessman
- Greensburg’s College Avenue apartments to be finished by December