Driver, 84, cited in Mt. Pleasant Township accident that injured worker
An 84-year-old driver who struck and seriously injured a Waste Management worker last month in Mt. Pleasant Township has been given a traffic citation.
Lawrence Zelenak of Southwest was cited for driving at an unsafe speed before District Judge Roger Eckels after a state police investigation into the Jan. 24 accident.
Zelenak's car struck and seriously injured Matthew Kelly, 27, of Homer City. Police said Kelly had just emptied a garbage can on Hecla Road near Academy Lane when he was hit.
The victim was pinned between Zelenak's Chevrolet Cavalier and the garbage truck, police reported. Police said although the truck had its lights activated and Kelly was wearing a reflective vest, Zelenak did not see Kelly.
Kelly suffered multiple leg fractures and was taken by medical helicopter to Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh. He is no longer listed as a patient there.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- New Year’s Eve sales set LCB record
- Delmont man blogs about industrial history of region, exploring long-cold coke ovens
- Westmoreland County adds 5 caseworker positions as child abuse cases increase
- Man’s body found in car in Forbes State Forest
- Youngwood officials to submit drawings to state agency that orders playground work stoppage
- PennDOT has to complete acquisition of 4 parcels, take down trees for New Stanton interchange on I-70
- Latrobe police seek driver of red cargo van
- Union Cemetery plot owners, heirs of deceased sought to sort out details of ownership
- Bids expected for demolition of Monsour Medical Center in Jeannette
- Body found in North Huntingdon
- Geyer Performing Arts Center hosts AAFC production of ‘Murder on the Nile’