Driver, 84, cited in Mt. Pleasant Township accident that injured worker
An 84-year-old driver who struck and seriously injured a Waste Management worker last month in Mt. Pleasant Township has been given a traffic citation.
Lawrence Zelenak of Southwest was cited for driving at an unsafe speed before District Judge Roger Eckels after a state police investigation into the Jan. 24 accident.
Zelenak's car struck and seriously injured Matthew Kelly, 27, of Homer City. Police said Kelly had just emptied a garbage can on Hecla Road near Academy Lane when he was hit.
The victim was pinned between Zelenak's Chevrolet Cavalier and the garbage truck, police reported. Police said although the truck had its lights activated and Kelly was wearing a reflective vest, Zelenak did not see Kelly.
Kelly suffered multiple leg fractures and was taken by medical helicopter to Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh. He is no longer listed as a patient there.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fall fly-by: Blue Angels stop in Unity to discuss 2015 show
- Westmoreland County, state AG to get funds from illegal lottery
- Woman sought in robbery in Unity
- Grease in Youngwood sewer system prompts another look at rule
- Man charged in New Stanton Sunoco robbery
- Students learn risks of digital lives at middle school presentation in Hempfield
- Mt. Pleasant-based author details area’s ‘Hidden History’
- Retirements deplete Westmoreland County workforce
- Jeannette man pleads guilty to attempting to entice child in Louisiana
- Westmoreland, Fayette groups open doors to share Thanksgiving meals
- Unity municipal authority blames rate hike on past actions