Driver, 84, cited in Mt. Pleasant Township accident that injured worker
An 84-year-old driver who struck and seriously injured a Waste Management worker last month in Mt. Pleasant Township has been given a traffic citation.
Lawrence Zelenak of Southwest was cited for driving at an unsafe speed before District Judge Roger Eckels after a state police investigation into the Jan. 24 accident.
Zelenak's car struck and seriously injured Matthew Kelly, 27, of Homer City. Police said Kelly had just emptied a garbage can on Hecla Road near Academy Lane when he was hit.
The victim was pinned between Zelenak's Chevrolet Cavalier and the garbage truck, police reported. Police said although the truck had its lights activated and Kelly was wearing a reflective vest, Zelenak did not see Kelly.
Kelly suffered multiple leg fractures and was taken by medical helicopter to Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh. He is no longer listed as a patient there.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Westmoreland County Fair doubles as meet-and-greet for candidates
- Prison becomes detox center for growing number of inmates with addictions
- Man gets probation for sex with teen girl in New Kensington
- Ligonier Township equine facility breaks ground
- Franklin Regional stabbing suspect Hribal to head to adult prison after Oct. 1
- Greensburg man charged with terroristic threats
- Hempfield prison film canceled because of Pa. budget impasse
- Megan’s List offender charged with assault on 10-year-old Latrobe girl
- Confederate memorabilia gets favorable attention at Westmoreland Fair
- ‘Perfect’ skies draw big crowds to Westmoreland Fair
- Children honor late Ligonier Township officer at Westmoreland Fair