Driver, 84, cited in Mt. Pleasant Township accident that injured worker
An 84-year-old driver who struck and seriously injured a Waste Management worker last month in Mt. Pleasant Township has been given a traffic citation.
Lawrence Zelenak of Southwest was cited for driving at an unsafe speed before District Judge Roger Eckels after a state police investigation into the Jan. 24 accident.
Zelenak's car struck and seriously injured Matthew Kelly, 27, of Homer City. Police said Kelly had just emptied a garbage can on Hecla Road near Academy Lane when he was hit.
The victim was pinned between Zelenak's Chevrolet Cavalier and the garbage truck, police reported. Police said although the truck had its lights activated and Kelly was wearing a reflective vest, Zelenak did not see Kelly.
Kelly suffered multiple leg fractures and was taken by medical helicopter to Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh. He is no longer listed as a patient there.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Greensburg Salem school board discusses stricter anti-nepotism policy
- Couple files lawsuit claiming Ruffsdale Gun Club contaminates soil, water
- Ligonier Township business will have to control grease
- Jeannette teen ordered to stand trial in classmate’s slaying
- Residents warned after incidents with bottles rigged to explode on Jeannette streets
- Gibsonia film producer makes documentary about female troops serving in war
- Walker: Scottdale Association’s Good Friday service site changes to Trinity church
- Fire marshal probes cause of blaze that destroyed vacant Derry Township house
- Westmoreland County tourism grants promote banana splits, breweries, trolley, railroad
- Laurel Mountain Ski Resort discusses planned revival
- Fire damages former Grapeville post office