Driver, 84, cited in Mt. Pleasant Township accident that injured worker
An 84-year-old driver who struck and seriously injured a Waste Management worker last month in Mt. Pleasant Township has been given a traffic citation.
Lawrence Zelenak of Southwest was cited for driving at an unsafe speed before District Judge Roger Eckels after a state police investigation into the Jan. 24 accident.
Zelenak's car struck and seriously injured Matthew Kelly, 27, of Homer City. Police said Kelly had just emptied a garbage can on Hecla Road near Academy Lane when he was hit.
The victim was pinned between Zelenak's Chevrolet Cavalier and the garbage truck, police reported. Police said although the truck had its lights activated and Kelly was wearing a reflective vest, Zelenak did not see Kelly.
Kelly suffered multiple leg fractures and was taken by medical helicopter to Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh. He is no longer listed as a patient there.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Catholic Diocese of Greensburg injunction becomes permanent
- 9 displaced by fire in Grapeville
- Ex-worker admits to taking money from Penn Township Sewage Authority
- Pickup changes to be in place at Greensburg Salem Middle School next week
- Man admits preying on Lower Burrell neighbor, taking more than $100K in money, goods
- Stormwater management plan stuck in stalemate in Unity, Latrobe, Derry Townships
- Police look for Derry driver who crashed into house
- Separate trials sought in fatal Murrysville DUI
- Police caution residents after Murrysville vehicle break-ins