Newsmaker: John M. Bacha
Residence: Pleasant Unity
Family: Daughter, Hilary; son, Matthew
Occupation: Supervisor of the Bacha-Gaut Funeral Home Inc., Pleasant Unity
Education: Diploma and associate degree from Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science
Background: Bacha has operated the Gaut-Bacha Funeral Home since 1993. He grew up in the funeral home business. His late father, Leo M. Bacha, operated Bacha Funeral Home in Southwest Greensburg. He was a dispatcher for the Westmoreland County Department of Public Safety. At age 18, Bacha joined the Greensburg Fire Department, where his father was president. He formerly was captain of Greensburg Hose Co. No. 3 and was a captain of the Pleasant Unity Volunteer Fire Department.
Newsworthy : Bacha was elected recently as chief of the Pleasant Unity Volunteer Fire Department, succeeding William P. "Bill" Henschel, who had been chief since 1979. Bacha has been assistant chief for the past 16 years.
Quote: "I'm definitely honored to be elected chief by my fellow firefighters. I have a tough pair of shoes to fill. Bill has been a fixture in Unity Township's firefighting for many years."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Former Ligonier Township supervisor accused of abusing position, viewing porn on the job
- Missing Southwest Greensburg man found dead at crash site in Bell
- The real Captain Phillips brings story of piracy to St. Vincent College
- Mt. Pleasant man injured when tractor hit by vehicle
- Laurel Mountain State Park ski plans will go to Ligonier Township supervisors
- $10K grants will help people purchase homes in Monessen
- WCCC changes dual-enrollment policy
- Municipal Authority of Westmoreland County upgrades emergency communications plan
- Records access charges will rise in Westmoreland County
- Physicist found joy in family, friends, work, wine
- Corbett rips Wolf tax proposals during Hempfield campaign stop