Newsmaker: John M. Bacha
Residence: Pleasant Unity
Family: Daughter, Hilary; son, Matthew
Occupation: Supervisor of the Bacha-Gaut Funeral Home Inc., Pleasant Unity
Education: Diploma and associate degree from Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science
Background: Bacha has operated the Gaut-Bacha Funeral Home since 1993. He grew up in the funeral home business. His late father, Leo M. Bacha, operated Bacha Funeral Home in Southwest Greensburg. He was a dispatcher for the Westmoreland County Department of Public Safety. At age 18, Bacha joined the Greensburg Fire Department, where his father was president. He formerly was captain of Greensburg Hose Co. No. 3 and was a captain of the Pleasant Unity Volunteer Fire Department.
Newsworthy : Bacha was elected recently as chief of the Pleasant Unity Volunteer Fire Department, succeeding William P. "Bill" Henschel, who had been chief since 1979. Bacha has been assistant chief for the past 16 years.
Quote: "I'm definitely honored to be elected chief by my fellow firefighters. I have a tough pair of shoes to fill. Bill has been a fixture in Unity Township's firefighting for many years."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- WCCC fraternity helps fallen Ligonier officer’s family
- Westmoreland County Common Pleas candidates differ on judicial retirement age
- Police, the Diamond top Ligonier Borough issues
- Mt. Pleasant board looks at refinancing
- Greensburg council OKs purchase of firetruck
- Jeannette considers trash fee increases
- Ligonier Valley takes proactive financial steps amid state budget stalemate
- West Newton officials, code officer clear the air
- Greensburg grocer Charley esteemed for his charity work
- 4 vie for 3 seats on Latrobe City Council
- Kennametal HQ relocation rankles Westmoreland County business leadership