Newsmaker: John M. Bacha
Residence: Pleasant Unity
Family: Daughter, Hilary; son, Matthew
Occupation: Supervisor of the Bacha-Gaut Funeral Home Inc., Pleasant Unity
Education: Diploma and associate degree from Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science
Background: Bacha has operated the Gaut-Bacha Funeral Home since 1993. He grew up in the funeral home business. His late father, Leo M. Bacha, operated Bacha Funeral Home in Southwest Greensburg. He was a dispatcher for the Westmoreland County Department of Public Safety. At age 18, Bacha joined the Greensburg Fire Department, where his father was president. He formerly was captain of Greensburg Hose Co. No. 3 and was a captain of the Pleasant Unity Volunteer Fire Department.
Newsworthy : Bacha was elected recently as chief of the Pleasant Unity Volunteer Fire Department, succeeding William P. "Bill" Henschel, who had been chief since 1979. Bacha has been assistant chief for the past 16 years.
Quote: "I'm definitely honored to be elected chief by my fellow firefighters. I have a tough pair of shoes to fill. Bill has been a fixture in Unity Township's firefighting for many years."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mental health facility won’t take Franklin Regional stabbing suspect as patient
- Fundraising under way for Indiana County newborn struck by stray bullet
- Somerset County man arrested after loaded gun found at Baltimore airport
- Police: Jeannette woman tried to steal family’s safe
- Attorney seeks dismissal of charge in Salem wreck that killed mother, unborn child
- Greensburg artist follows unusual path to creative career
- Thousands attend Mt. Pleasant Glass and Ethnic Festival
- No relief in sight for Westmoreland transit passengers
- 3 confirmed cases of MRSA in Ligonier school district
- Hribal will be transferred to Allegheny County psychiatric facility
- ‘Pest activity’ found in Excela facility