Newsmaker: John M. Bacha
Residence: Pleasant Unity
Family: Daughter, Hilary; son, Matthew
Occupation: Supervisor of the Bacha-Gaut Funeral Home Inc., Pleasant Unity
Education: Diploma and associate degree from Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science
Background: Bacha has operated the Gaut-Bacha Funeral Home since 1993. He grew up in the funeral home business. His late father, Leo M. Bacha, operated Bacha Funeral Home in Southwest Greensburg. He was a dispatcher for the Westmoreland County Department of Public Safety. At age 18, Bacha joined the Greensburg Fire Department, where his father was president. He formerly was captain of Greensburg Hose Co. No. 3 and was a captain of the Pleasant Unity Volunteer Fire Department.
Newsworthy : Bacha was elected recently as chief of the Pleasant Unity Volunteer Fire Department, succeeding William P. "Bill" Henschel, who had been chief since 1979. Bacha has been assistant chief for the past 16 years.
Quote: "I'm definitely honored to be elected chief by my fellow firefighters. I have a tough pair of shoes to fill. Bill has been a fixture in Unity Township's firefighting for many years."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Acme man’s ephemeral sculptures appear to defy laws of physics
- A family’s flag flies again in Mt. Pleasant
- Motorcyclist killed after striking pole in Penn Township
- Hempfield train crash search called off; no evidence found
- Online donors help Hempfield teen whose wallet was stolen
- Westmoreland used car dealers indicted in fraud
- ‘Dope sick’ man in custody in Mt. Pleasant stick-up
- Defense for Irwin man charged in fatal wreck seeks expert to aid in his defense
- Numerous Westmoreland communities to observe Memorial Day
- Travel restrictions to be lifted on Route 30 in Hempfield
- 2 from Westmoreland County charged in child porn investigation