Newsmaker: John M. Bacha
Residence: Pleasant Unity
Family: Daughter, Hilary; son, Matthew
Occupation: Supervisor of the Bacha-Gaut Funeral Home Inc., Pleasant Unity
Education: Diploma and associate degree from Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science
Background: Bacha has operated the Gaut-Bacha Funeral Home since 1993. He grew up in the funeral home business. His late father, Leo M. Bacha, operated Bacha Funeral Home in Southwest Greensburg. He was a dispatcher for the Westmoreland County Department of Public Safety. At age 18, Bacha joined the Greensburg Fire Department, where his father was president. He formerly was captain of Greensburg Hose Co. No. 3 and was a captain of the Pleasant Unity Volunteer Fire Department.
Newsworthy : Bacha was elected recently as chief of the Pleasant Unity Volunteer Fire Department, succeeding William P. "Bill" Henschel, who had been chief since 1979. Bacha has been assistant chief for the past 16 years.
Quote: "I'm definitely honored to be elected chief by my fellow firefighters. I have a tough pair of shoes to fill. Bill has been a fixture in Unity Township's firefighting for many years."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Families welcome new members on Adoption Day in Westmoreland County
- Police on hunt for suspects in unrelated Penn Township, Manor cases
- Food drive volunteer in Westmoreland County has purse stolen
- Walker: Applebees to help Jacobs Creek Area Faith in Action
- Students learn risks of digital lives at middle school presentation in Hempfield
- Westmoreland County, state AG to get funds from illegal lottery
- WCCC revises purchasing policy
- Homewood man faces drug charges after chase in Trafford
- Man taken to hospital from scene of Hempfield house fire
- 7 arrested in Latrobe-area drug dealing
- Fall fly-by: Blue Angels stop in Unity to discuss 2015 show