Newsmaker: John M. Bacha
Residence: Pleasant Unity
Family: Daughter, Hilary; son, Matthew
Occupation: Supervisor of the Bacha-Gaut Funeral Home Inc., Pleasant Unity
Education: Diploma and associate degree from Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science
Background: Bacha has operated the Gaut-Bacha Funeral Home since 1993. He grew up in the funeral home business. His late father, Leo M. Bacha, operated Bacha Funeral Home in Southwest Greensburg. He was a dispatcher for the Westmoreland County Department of Public Safety. At age 18, Bacha joined the Greensburg Fire Department, where his father was president. He formerly was captain of Greensburg Hose Co. No. 3 and was a captain of the Pleasant Unity Volunteer Fire Department.
Newsworthy : Bacha was elected recently as chief of the Pleasant Unity Volunteer Fire Department, succeeding William P. "Bill" Henschel, who had been chief since 1979. Bacha has been assistant chief for the past 16 years.
Quote: "I'm definitely honored to be elected chief by my fellow firefighters. I have a tough pair of shoes to fill. Bill has been a fixture in Unity Township's firefighting for many years."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- South Huntingdon: 33 years too long to pay fine
- WCCC to hold faculty, staff salaries flat in contracts
- PennDOT considers I-70 options for Yukon, Madison ramps
- Children honor late Ligonier Township officer at Westmoreland Fair
- Greensburg man charged with terroristic threats
- Prison sentence extended for New Kensington man
- Ligonier Township equine facility breaks ground
- Man gets probation for sex with teen girl in New Kensington
- Trafford man sentenced for sex with teen
- Excela Health has plan in works for orthopedic medical mall in Hempfield
- Franklin Regional stabbing suspect Hribal to head to adult prison after Oct. 1