Climatologist Timothy Ball made an astute observation about the strategy shift that sunspot-deniers are applying to global warming ("The politics of global warming," Q&A, Feb. 10 and PghTrib.com).
He noticed they "switched from talking about global warming to talking about climate change." That's chillingly familiar.
Remember how Osama bin Laden morphed into Saddam Hussein• Or how the mission switched from finding WMDs to freeing Iraq• Or when border security became citizen surveillance?
Next, politicians will put carbon dioxide on the altar of unending wars alongside terrorism, drugs, smoking, trans fat, etc. Expect a new Cabinet-level Department of Hot Air.
Also expect the Department of Education to require that "Greenland" be renamed "Glacierland" to rewrite an inconvenient history about that island's more moderate climate around 1000 A.D.
If the temperature cools rapidly over the next decade, government will proclaim "Mission Accomplished." Do you think, however, that dismantling misguided government programs stands a snowball's chance?
While global warming deserves debate, there's no debate why big government supporters are hot for global warming.
Mark Crowley Plum
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Decisions backfire in Steelers’ loss in Seattle
- Penn State coach fires offensive coordinator
- Marshall’s Fluhme Glam Bar hopes to take beauty concept nationwide
- Police charge New Florence man in St. Clair officer’s killing
- French and Indian War re-enactor Wilson commits to pioneer lifestyle in Murrysville cabin
- Woman found in Carrick died of multiple wounds, autopsy results say
- 24,000 hours of volunteer service, 112 debutantes add up to Pittsburgh’s 2015 Medallion Ball
- Auction watch: High-quality artwork highlights Dec. 5 sale in Regent Square
- Baldwin Santa gets the reality-show treatment
- North Allegheny 7th best school in national ranking, moves up 2 spots
- Sale of doll clothes to benefit Harrison library