Don't mess with her
Consol Energy/Dominion Resources plans to use contaminated mine drainage water instead of surface water and groundwater for "fracking" its Marcellus Shale natural gas wells, according to the news story "Consol pegs water as next business move" (May 5 and TribLIVE.com).
Since these wells use tremendous amounts of water for this purpose -- some of which is unrecoverable -- I guess using such acid-tainted water is a relatively good thing. But any such "permanent" depletion of the world's finite natural resources should give us pause.
As a society, we are already living beyond our means. Increasingly we rely not on conservation or population control but technology to provide for our excesses.
The oil well disaster in the Gulf of Mexico is one more lesson that it is a dangerous thing to mess with Mother Nature.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Sunoco wants to rebuild station in Greensburg
- 2 killed in East Huntingdon crash
- Police: Westmoreland women stole thousands to pay for dog show hobby
- Pirates expect high prices in trade market
- Dollar Bank says URA didn’t talk about restrictions on use of August Wilson Center
- Steelers hoping that youth movement breathes life into team
- Rostraver police warn residents to lock doors after home invasion
- Volkswagen crashes through convenience store in Aliquippa
- Blind man accused in stabbing on South Side to stand trial
- Marine recalls Saigon: April 30, 1975 — the day the U.S. Embassy closed
- Rutgers football coach says Scarlet Knights, Big Ten ‘a tremendous marriage’