Midweek briefing ...
President Obama was for the Islamic community center/mosque a few blocks from Ground Zero in New York City before he was against it. We think. Or was he against it before he was for it• Or was he for it on constitutional grounds or ag'in it on its wisdom before he was for it on constitutional grounds and was forced to backtrack on its wisdom. Whew! How about simply calling the whole thing off• ... What's one of the world's largest mass-transit systems to do when demand routinely outstrips capacity• If you're the transit system in New York City, you consider an approach employed routinely in Paris. The system is considering double-decker trains for some routes. The real attraction is that they cost the same as single-level passenger cars but can carry a third more passengers. Here's to using one's noggin. ... The Philadelphia Inquirer reports that state Rep. Dwight Evans employs 12 staffers in his Northwest Philadelphia district office. Two have six-figure salaries. His total district staff budget is $820,000 a year. That's the highest in the General Assembly, The Inquirer reports. Darn near a million bucks for one legislator's office. Now that's outrageous. Any wonder why Pennsylvanians hold their legislators in the esteem of an ingrown toenail?
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Central Catholic holds ‘emotional’ ceremony for Marino
- Boras: Alvarez’s power is too valuable for Pirates to let him leave
- Pirates showing interest in starting pitcher Masterson
- Steelers notebook: Opportunity awaits Boykin
- Pitt guard Robinson says free-wheeling offense is ‘a lot of fun’
- No shortage of offensive weapons for Aliquippa, Karns City in PIAA game
- Gorman: Aliquippa’s Jordan stars in any role
- WVU’s defensive linemen improving as pass rushers
- House votes to thwart power plant regulations
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger remains in concussion protocol
- Official: Plum SD trying to provide better communication, training in wake of sex scandal