Housing sales have tanked. Unemployment remains stubbornly high. Companies won't hire because they know they're about to be taxed to death. "Consumer confidence" is an oxymoron. And Vice President Joe Biden says the economy's moving in the right direction• These cats couldn't find their own litter boxes if they were tied to them. ... In the midst of all this, President Barack Obama told reporters he was having a great time on vacation. That, by the way, carried a "Breaking News" tag from ABC. But even one-time Obama suck-ups are getting a bit surly. Said comedian David Letterman, "He'll have plenty of time for vacations after his one term is up." It's not exactly Lyndon Johnson "losing" Walter Cronkite, but it does represent a sea change. ... The Cato Institute's Michael Tanner reminds that the only way out of America's growing financial disaster is to cut government spending. "(I)t's time for someone to step up and show the courage to tell the American people that Santa Claus isn't coming to town," he says. That won't stop politicians, however. They'll merely put the Tooth Fairy on retainer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Pitt does its duty
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- RX Fit brings cross-training to Ford City
- Ford City explores beefing up code enforcement
- New Dayton food pantry sees more people each week
- Virginia GOP Senate candidate Gillespie piles up mileage in pursuit of Warner
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Pa. judge identified who denied Trib request to view sexually explicit emails circulated in AG’s Office
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County
- If ‘evil’ doesn’t apply to ISIS, what does?