Christmas briefing ...
How sad it is that the several states are forced to promote a constitutional amendment that would allow the states, with a three-fourths majority, to overturn federal laws. For, you see, once upon a time federal legislators actually understood and respected the 10th Amendment. ... Vice President Joe Biden calls President Barack Obama's decision to compromise with Republicans and extend all of the Bush-era tax cuts "morally troubling." What's really morally troubling is that we have a vice president who thinks government has a right to accost the public's wallets and pocketbooks without end. ... If Republicans, once in charge in the U.S. House in the new year, don't take immediate steps to make permanent the current tax rates just extended for a mere two years, they will face a revolt in 2012 that will make the 2010 elections look like a Brownies' election for new officers. ... A decade ago , writing in The Independent newspaper, opiner Charles Onians lamented that global warming meant "snow is starting to disappear from our lives." Winter has just arrived but the Brits are suffering through one of the snowiest winters on record. You know what's coming next: "Honey, throw another log on the fire -- it's getting cold outside."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins co-owner Lemieux snuffs rumored rift with Crosby
- Pirates sign free agent 1B-OF Goebbert, RHP Webster
- WPIAL AAAA boys basketball preview: Runners-up last season, North Allegheny hopes to take next step
- Attorney wants evidence from South Allegheny teacher’s cellphone thrown out
- Steelers kicker Boswell puts best foot forward
- Explosion claims life of garage owner
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin not grooming successor to RB Williams
- PIAA Class AA first-round preview: Karns City vs. Bedford
- Warhol bridge closed as police investigate unattended bag
- New Stanton council seeks input on borough community plan
- Penguins’ Perron returning to form