Primary endorsements: The Trib says ...
Here's a recap of our recommendations for Tuesday's primary election:
For Allegheny County chief executive
• Neither Rich Fitzgerald nor Mark Patrick Flaherty.
The former is a tool of the unions, a practitioner of pay-to-play government and a constitutional nose-thumber extraordinaire.
The latter acts like he's doing the public some kind of favor in his role as county controller by doing the job that the law requires him to do.
• Neither Chuck McCullough nor D. Raja.
The former faces trial in September on felony fraud and theft charges. 'Nuff said.
The latter counts on polling -- not the law, not the Pennsylvania Constitution -- as his guiding principle that begets political pandering.
For Allegheny County Council
At-large Republican seat:
• Heather Heidelbaugh
She'll shake up the conservative minority and restore maturity to the kindergarten.
For Allegheny County Common Pleas Court
• Michael Marmo
Tough but compassionate. Fair. Who could ask for more?
For Westmoreland County Board of Commissioners
• R. Tyler Courtney and Joe Bush
Nominating this pair will give Republicans their best chance in a long time to take control of county government in the fall. We can't think of a better way to end the era of Democrat antagonist Tom Balya.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Linebacker Timmons hoping for contract extension
- Four helicopters respond to Route 51 crash in Rostraver
- Penguins 4th line is showing promise
- Miami (Fla.) gets prepared to take on ‘physical’ Pitt team
- Steelers plan to use smart pass rush against Seattle QB Wilson
- School lunch group hopes to revise rules it calls impractical, too restrictive
- Small stores take big gamble by not upgrading credit card readers
- Western Pa. students bristle at changing menu choices
- Carrick crime ‘blitz’ shows early signs of success
- Despite injuries, Penn State’s Nelson ‘thankful’
- Penguins notebook: Dupuis’ intangibles provide 1st-line value