De facto amnesty: The real message
De facto amnesty for an estimated 300,000 illegal aliens is not merely an Obama administration end run around a Congress opposed to such coddling. It also hamstrings an economy struggling to create jobs -- and is especially harmful to younger, less-educated jobless Americans.
In a new report, Steven A. Camarota, director of research at the Center for Immigration Studies ( cis.org ), says this administration is allowing hundreds of thousands of illegals who'd otherwise be deported to stay here and to apply for work authorization, too.
Which, of course, makes finding work even harder for younger, undereducated Americans, "the most likely to compete with illegal immigrants for jobs."
Their plight is bad enough in itself. Writes Mr. Camarota, reviewing numerous statistics:
"In most cases, unemployment for young, U.S.-born workers is double or nearly double what it was in the first quarter of 2007, before the recession began." And that's with "an estimated 7 (million) to 8 million illegal immigrants holding jobs in the United States."
The Obama administration could do a great service for America's young workers by abiding by the law and sending illegals home. Instead, it has chosen to solidify their hold on jobs here. And that shows how warped this White House's priorities are and how little it actually cares for the welfare of American citizens.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Would one big move kill Pirates’ future?
- Steelers offensive linemen looking to build on strong 2013 finish
- Heyl: This dress is a steal
- GNC revenue, sales drop, but vitamin retailer says plan in place
- Pirates inquire about Red Sox LHP Lester
- Penn Township man seeking gun permit accused of bringing heroin to courthouse
- Peduto offers ray of light to understaffed Pittsburgh building bureau
- Attorney had broad range of private, public clients
- 3 men to stand trial over runaway Latrobe foster children
- Newsmaker: Brian Stein
- Connellsville roundup: Mill Run leads series 2-0