The New Year's wrap
The New York Times is shilling for a "living wage" bill that would compel private developers who receive $1 million or more in taxpayer subsidies to pay, for a decade, $10 an hour plus benefits for full-time workers and $11.50 an hour for those without benefits. Here's a better idea — stop subsidizing private developers with public dollars. ... More bad news for the crowd that believes government should determine what light bulbs you can buy. London's Daily Mail reports that when compact fluorescent lights (CFLs) can no longer produce light, "the electronics in the base will still try to function, sometimes leading to overheating, smoke and fire." How comforting. ... The average cost to attend a public university in the United States rose by 8.3 percent in 2011 and by an astounding 72 percent over the last decade, reports The Washington Times. And it notes that part of the problem might just be the fact that some instructors earning an average of $70,000 annually teach only one or two classes per semester. Gee, ya think • ... Former U.S. Sen. Arlen Specter, Confused, Pa., expresses shock — shock, we say — in his new book that Democrats stripped him of his seniority when he switched parties in an attempt to keep his job. Arlen, Arlen, Arlen. You better than most should know that those who live by the political machination usually die by the political machination.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Michigan State defensive coordinator a Pitt coaching candidate
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- Despite intimidation, women still passionate about video games
- Penguins’ defensive depth proves valuable
- Police gather in Ligonier for Perryopolis officer’s funeral
- Review: No improper contact between Pa. Supreme Court justices, lawyers
- Ex-juvenile center director claims he was fired because he’s black
- City, abortion activists fail to reach compromise on buffer zone, judge to rule
- Port Authority fires two bus drivers involved in rollover crash
- The Word Guy: How to pronounce ‘victuals’? Rhymes with whittles
- LCB ruling could mean home-delivered beer in Pa.