What's that smell' Another Obama deal
The Obama administration's so committed to cronyism that it's violating its ObamaCare law to lend $314 million to New York's Freelancers Union, whose board members gave Democrats $11,000-plus between 2007 and 2011.
The law says recipients of such loans -- aimed at helping begin health-care cooperatives -- can't have issued health insurance before July 2009 and can't be for-profit organizations. Yet the union's members -- who don't get coverage through employers -- have owned the for-profit Freelancers Insurance Co. since 2008, The Washington Free Beacon reports.
The union says all the loan money will go to the co-ops, which it's just sponsoring -- a distinction without a difference. Founder Sara Horowitz, a labor lawyer and organizer, served with then-Illinois state Sen. Barack Obama to advise a think tank funded by leftist billionaire George Soros.
And, bad news, taxpayers: The government expects the default rate on such loans to approach 40 percent.
Overseeing the co-op program, the administration's Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services approved the loan despite all that.
Disregarding its own law and financial common sense to lend to the Freelancers Union, this administration leaves no doubt that it puts politics above all else.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Shazier returns just in time
- Linebacker Harrison coming along slowly since return to Steelers
- Lower Burrell man charged with shoplifting
- Port Authority steps closer to linking Oakland and Downtown, makes switch from Highmark to Aetna
- Penn State seeks recruiting win in ‘whiteout’ game
- Penguins notebook: Carcillo has no hard feelings after failing to make roster
- Zappala impersonation suspect arrested; stores offered reimbursement
- Ferrante trial: Cyanide order form in plain sight
- Pens look to buck shots, goals trend
- After sluggish 1st half, McKeesport rolls past Kiski Area
- Pitt puts focus to test in jumbled ACC Coastal race