Pitt hoops tabs new assistant
College Football Videos
One year after Marshall snagged Pitt's top assistant, the Panthers returned the favor.
Marshall assistant coach Bill Barton is expected to be hired as an assistant on Pitt coach Jamie Dixon's staff, multiple sources said Friday night.
The announcement of Barton's hiring could come as early as this weekend.
Barton, 50, a former assistant at Duquesne University, replaces Pat Skerry, who left Pitt earlier this month to become head coach at Towson.
Barton worked for one season at Marshall under former Pitt assistant Tom Herrion. Before that, Barton served for three seasons at Duquesne, including two as the associate head coach, for Ron Everhart.
Barton coached for 10 seasons at Fitchburg (Mass.) Notre Dame Prep, which he helped build into one of the top prep programs in the nation. While at Notre Dame Prep, Barton coached players such as Shawn James, Michael Beasley, Ryan Gomes, Paul Harris, Lazar Hayward and Carl Krauser.
Incoming Pitt five-star recruit Khem Birch played for Notre Dame Prep this past season, and two top players in the Class of 2012 — shooting guard Ricardo Ledo and Myles Davis — attend the school.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Pitt does its duty
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- RX Fit brings cross-training to Ford City
- New Dayton food pantry sees more people each week
- Ford City explores beefing up code enforcement
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- TED Talks event to appeal to Pittsburgh millenials
- Revenue from special Pennsylvania Monuments license plates to help maintain monuments at Gettysburg
- Allegheny County’s crime lab ranks up there with world’s best
- Virginia GOP Senate candidate Gillespie piles up mileage in pursuit of Warner
- If ‘evil’ doesn’t apply to ISIS, what does?