Pitt to visit Tennessee as part of Big East-SEC Challenge
College Football Videos
he Pitt men's basketball team will get a chance to avenge its most lopsided loss from last season.
The Panthers will visit the University of Tennessee on Dec. 3 as part of the 2011-12 Big East-SEC Challenge. The schedule for the fifth-year event was released this afternoon.
Pitt lost to the Volunteers, 83-76, last season at Consol Energy Center.
Also, West Virginia will play at Mississippi State on Dec. 3 as part of the 12-game event. Four Big East teams, Marquette, Notre Dame, Villanova and USF, are not part of the Big East-SEC Challenge.
In other notable games for the 2011-12 season, St. John's will play at Kentucky, Syracuse will host Florida and defending national champion Connecticut will play host to Arkansas.
The Big East/SEC format has changed this season, with 12 games being hosted at on-campus facilities. The past four years the event featured four doubleheaders were played at off-campus arenas.
Tennessee, under first-year coach Cuonzo Martin, lost Scotty Hopson and Tobias Harris, who both declared for early-entry in the NBA draft.
There will be a familiar face on Tennessee. Dwight Miller, a 6-foot-8, 240-pound forward who transferred from Pitt following the 2009-10 season, signed today with the Vols after playing last year for Midland (Texas) College.
Here is the complete schedule of challenge games:
Thursday, Dec. 1
St. John's at No. 2 Kentucky
Georgetown at No. 14 Alabama
Providence at South Carolina
Mississippi at DePaul
Friday, Dec. 2
No. 7 Vanderbilt at No. 9 Louisville
Nov. 12 Florida at No. 4 Syracuse
No. 19 Cincinnati at Georgia
Auburn at Seton Hall
Saturday, Dec. 3
Arkansas at No. 6 Connecticut
No. 17 Pittsburgh at Tennessee
West Virginia at Mississippi State
LSU at Rutgers.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steel Valley plans to play up-tempo under 1st-year coach Schifino
- Young Steel Valley players looking for experience
- DUI checkpoints take on dangerous drivers
- Cal U falls after earning No. 22 ranking
- No. 15 San Diego State hammers Pitt, 74-57
- FDA rule to require chain restaurants to post calorie counts
- Sixth Grade Academy work reported on schedule
- Clairton waits for legal opinion on tax resolution
- Steelers’ lookahead: New Orleans Saints
- Roundup: Mazda recalls cars to fix tire pressure monitors; Wal-Mart’s top merchant out as key holiday nears; more
- U.S. Steel Tower tenants stand to benefit from company’s relocation