Upper St. Clair OLB Conwell commits to Pitt
College Football Videos
Upper St. Clair linebacker Dakota Conwell said he knew three weeks ago he wanted to accept Pitt's scholarship offer.
But after talking to his brother, Dane, a running back on Upper St. Clair's PIAA championship team in 2006, he decided to consider his options.
"He wanted me to be a little patient," said Dakota of his brother, who initially went to Indiana University before transferring to California University of Pennsylvania. "He said, 'Don't just make an emotional decision; really think about it.' "
He did, but in the end, it didn't matter.
Conwell called Pitt coaches Wednesday and became the third WPIAL player — and the first from a Class AAAA school — to verbally commit to the Panthers. Overall, Pitt has seven commitments in its Class of 2012, five from Pennsylvania.
"They make you feel like you are part of the Pitt family," said Conwell, who also had offers from Maryland, Temple and Toledo. "They are good guys and good coaches."
Conwell, 6-foot-1, 210 pounds, is rated as a three-star recruit by Rivals.com.
He also plays quarterback at Upper St. Clair, but he will be an outside linebacker at Pitt. Specifically, he will play the Spur position that has rush, coverage and running-game responsibilities.
"I am good in space, and I like covering people," he said. "I think I will fit well in that scheme."
Work in progress
Here are the seven seniors from the Class of 2012 who have made verbal commitments to Pitt:
Player (Pos.) School
Trenton Coles (WR) Clairton
Dakota Conwell (OLB) Upper St. Clair
Brandyn Cook (OL) St. Xavier (Ohio)
Marzett Geter (DB) Sto-Rox
Myles Hilliard (DE) Bedford (Ohio)
William Parks (DB) Germantown
Alkwan Williams (LB) Johnstown
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt plays best game of the season in rout of Kansas State
- Steelers’ backups Archer, Harris ready to run
- Comeau’s hat trick leads Penguins; Crosby reaches career points
- Pregnant woman struck by van in North Side dies; doctors save baby
- Fatal crash closes Flight 93 chapel in Somerset County
- Starkey: Rutherford will add when timing’s right
- Protesters won’t be thanking Wal-Mart
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger says Saints game is ‘must win’
- Pirates notebook: Autographs to come at a cost at PirateFest
- Defying the odds makes this Thanksgiving particularly poignant
- Penguins notebook: Bennett to miss about 2 weeks