McCoy waiting for NFL report
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Pitt football coach Dave Wannstedt said he had conversations with LeSean McCoy and star tailback's parents before and after the Sun Bowl, and Wannstedt believes the McCoy will bypass the NFL Draft and return for his junior season.
"He's excited to come back for another year," Wannstedt said. "LeSean believes, and his mom and dad believe, that he's excited about being here, and we all believe that this next year will do nothing but enhance his opportunities for the National Football League."
But McCoy's mother said Monday that the family is awaiting a report from the NFL Draft Advisory Board before making a final decision.
"LeSean does love being there. He loves Pitt and loves the football team. I know he wants to be there," Daphne McCoy said. "But he's 20. At 20 years old, you don't always know what's good for you.
"For right now, it looks like he'll be back next year. If the report tells us anything different, we'll see if he should come out at this time."
McCoy is eligible to declare hardship for the draft because he's three years removed from high school. He previously said he "definitely" plans to return.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ex-Va. lawmaker plans to wed teen in sex scandal
- Steelers offensive line targeting injury-free performance as key
- Westmoreland used car dealers indicted in fraud
- Mon-Yough communities prepare for Memorial Day
- Struggling Pirates SS Mercer finding himself out on infield’s left side
- Starkey: Patriots’ legacy forever stained
- Authority sees new focus for county airport
- Pa. commission dismisses ethics complaints against West Deer officials
- Plum witnesses seen entering grand jury building in Dormont
- West Mifflin adds staff for summer lunch program
- U.S. Steel gives $60,000 to scholarship program to help Mon-Yough area schools