Scrimmage big for Pitt QBs
College Football Videos
Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt was asked after Monday's practice if redshirt freshman Tino Sunseri is making a push for the starting quarterback job. Wannstedt said that nothing has changed in the first week of camp — which means it's still Bill Stull's job to lose, with Pat Bostick working at No. 2 — but that today's 3 p.m. scrimmage "will separate a lot (of players), when we turn everybody loose."
Of Sunseri, who was impressive in a two-minute drill against the starting linebackers and defensive backs, Wannstedt said, "I'm very encouraged with where he's at right now."
• Receiver Jonathan Baldwin finished a two-minute drill with a one-handed touchdown catch on a fade pattern, over cornerback Jovani Chappel, on a pass from Sunseri. Baldwin casually reached up with his right hand, as if he was going to give someone a high-five, and snatched the ball.
• Tight end Mike Cruz missed a second day of practice for what Wannstedt termed "issues at home" but is expected to return today. ... Wannstedt, unsolicited, mentioned that he was impressed with a throw Bostick made under pressure during a two-minute drill near the end of practice. ... Players nursing minor injuries who missed practice included safety Elijah Fields (foot), receiver Mike Shanahan (hand), tackle Lucas Nix (leg), tight ends Dorin Dickerson (hamstring) and Nate Byham (headaches) and defensive back Irv Brown (calf). Nix had a leg infection treated. ... Redshirt sophomore Greg Gaskins took reps at first-team right tackle, in Nix's place.
• Junior defensive end Greg Romeus was named one of 55 preseason candidates for the Chuck Bednarik Award, annually presented to the nation's top defensive player by the Maxwell Football Club.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Love locks tokens fall prey to renovations on Pittsburgh bridges
- East Allegheny teachers to hit the picket lines
- Homestead to celebrate one of its own at jazz festival
- Flexible-use building in the works for Duquesne
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County
- Pa. judge identified who denied Trib request to view sexually explicit emails circulated in AG’s Office
- Nearing 25 years together, WPXI anchors Johnson, Finnegan defy odds