Scrimmage big for Pitt QBs
College Football Videos
Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt was asked after Monday's practice if redshirt freshman Tino Sunseri is making a push for the starting quarterback job. Wannstedt said that nothing has changed in the first week of camp — which means it's still Bill Stull's job to lose, with Pat Bostick working at No. 2 — but that today's 3 p.m. scrimmage "will separate a lot (of players), when we turn everybody loose."
Of Sunseri, who was impressive in a two-minute drill against the starting linebackers and defensive backs, Wannstedt said, "I'm very encouraged with where he's at right now."
• Receiver Jonathan Baldwin finished a two-minute drill with a one-handed touchdown catch on a fade pattern, over cornerback Jovani Chappel, on a pass from Sunseri. Baldwin casually reached up with his right hand, as if he was going to give someone a high-five, and snatched the ball.
• Tight end Mike Cruz missed a second day of practice for what Wannstedt termed "issues at home" but is expected to return today. ... Wannstedt, unsolicited, mentioned that he was impressed with a throw Bostick made under pressure during a two-minute drill near the end of practice. ... Players nursing minor injuries who missed practice included safety Elijah Fields (foot), receiver Mike Shanahan (hand), tackle Lucas Nix (leg), tight ends Dorin Dickerson (hamstring) and Nate Byham (headaches) and defensive back Irv Brown (calf). Nix had a leg infection treated. ... Redshirt sophomore Greg Gaskins took reps at first-team right tackle, in Nix's place.
• Junior defensive end Greg Romeus was named one of 55 preseason candidates for the Chuck Bednarik Award, annually presented to the nation's top defensive player by the Maxwell Football Club.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Komen acceptance of drilling-linked money raises ire
- Linebacker Harrison coming along slowly since return to Steelers
- Steelers notebook: Shazier returns just in time
- Monsour hospital properties sold at free-and-clear sale
- Penguins notebook: Carcillo has no hard feelings after failing to make roster
- Lower Burrell man charged with shoplifting
- Critics claim state Attorney General Kane puts politics first
- Ferrante trial: Cyanide order form in plain sight
- Pitt puts focus to test in jumbled ACC Coastal race
- Freeport man accused of having child pornography images
- Corbett, Wolf resort to sticks, stones to attract attention