Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt was asked after Monday's practice if redshirt freshman Tino Sunseri is making a push for the starting quarterback job. Wannstedt said that nothing has changed in the first week of camp — which means it's still Bill Stull's job to lose, with Pat Bostick working at No. 2 — but that today's 3 p.m. scrimmage "will separate a lot (of players), when we turn everybody loose."
Of Sunseri, who was impressive in a two-minute drill against the starting linebackers and defensive backs, Wannstedt said, "I'm very encouraged with where he's at right now."
• Receiver Jonathan Baldwin finished a two-minute drill with a one-handed touchdown catch on a fade pattern, over cornerback Jovani Chappel, on a pass from Sunseri. Baldwin casually reached up with his right hand, as if he was going to give someone a high-five, and snatched the ball.
• Tight end Mike Cruz missed a second day of practice for what Wannstedt termed "issues at home" but is expected to return today. ... Wannstedt, unsolicited, mentioned that he was impressed with a throw Bostick made under pressure during a two-minute drill near the end of practice. ... Players nursing minor injuries who missed practice included safety Elijah Fields (foot), receiver Mike Shanahan (hand), tackle Lucas Nix (leg), tight ends Dorin Dickerson (hamstring) and Nate Byham (headaches) and defensive back Irv Brown (calf). Nix had a leg infection treated. ... Redshirt sophomore Greg Gaskins took reps at first-team right tackle, in Nix's place.
• Junior defensive end Greg Romeus was named one of 55 preseason candidates for the Chuck Bednarik Award, annually presented to the nation's top defensive player by the Maxwell Football Club.
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
A division of Trib Total Media is your one-stop-shop for all of your branded merchandise needs.
We specialize in providing quality affordable promotional products for every type of business including non-profits, schools, universities, sports teams and more. With 1000’s of products to choose from, our knowledgeable staff can help you find the perfect apparel item or product to suit your needs and budget.
Why use TPSolutions?
• Quality, brand name, screen printed and embroidered apparel
• Competitive prices
• Free design services
• Volume and non-profit discounts available
• Quick turn around
We offer a wide variety of traditional and new digital advertising options customized to fit your needs!
Whether you're just starting out, or you've been a keystone in the community for years, our knowledgeable staff can provide you with a customized package including online banners/advertisements, Social Media Marketing (Facebook / Twitter), Website development, Search Engine Optimization, Email Marketing solutions and much more!
Contact your local sales rep today for details, personalized proposal and a meeting to discuss how we can meet your needs.