Pitt signs top QB recruit
College Football Videos
One of the top high school quarterbacks in the Eastern U.S. is headed to Pittsburgh.
The Pitt Panthers received a verbal commitment from Bethlehem Liberty senior Anthony Gonzalez, regarded as one of the leading dual-threat quarterbacks in the Class of 2010.
The 6-foot-2, 205-pound Gonzalez, ranked by Rivals.com as the nation's 17th-best quarterback, was named the Pennsylvania Class AAAA Player of the Year last season after rushing for 1,697 yards and 24 touchdowns and passing for 1,570 yards and 12 touchdowns.
In the state finals, he rushed for 205 yards and three touchdowns on 33 carries for Liberty (15-1) in a 28-21 overtime victory against Bethel Park.
Gonzalez, who is left-handed, visited Florida State earlier this month, but this week informed the Pitt coaches that he wanted to be a Panther. An excellent athlete who runs the 40-yard dash in about 4.5 seconds, Gonzalez had about 30 offers, including Penn State, Missouri, Oregon and Illinois.
Gonzalez's senior season is off to a rough start. He suffered an injured meniscus Sept. 4 and was expected to undergo surgery this week. He will miss at least three weeks.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Leechburg man’s lawsuit against borough, police officers dismissed
- Through the years: Highlands routed Franklin Regional to clinch conference title
- Hackers’ new Dyre malware infects W.Pa. computers, vexes FBI cyber agents
- 5 Cal U football players arrested for assault; Saturday’s game canceled
- Elsa from ‘Frozen’ popular for kids in Halloween parades at Armstrong schools
- Roundup: S&T Bancorp to acquire Integrity Bancshares in $155M deal; Alpha Natural Resources selling Amfire coal mines to Rosebud; more
- Veteran LB Harrison: Steelers must play to way defense is set up
- Smicksburg businesses get jump on Christmas
- Emaciated Lab-collie mix found in garbage bag in New Stanton
- How to avoid Amazon and still get deals
- Fleury, Penguins too much for Kings