Pitt signs top QB recruit
College Football Videos
One of the top high school quarterbacks in the Eastern U.S. is headed to Pittsburgh.
The Pitt Panthers received a verbal commitment from Bethlehem Liberty senior Anthony Gonzalez, regarded as one of the leading dual-threat quarterbacks in the Class of 2010.
The 6-foot-2, 205-pound Gonzalez, ranked by Rivals.com as the nation's 17th-best quarterback, was named the Pennsylvania Class AAAA Player of the Year last season after rushing for 1,697 yards and 24 touchdowns and passing for 1,570 yards and 12 touchdowns.
In the state finals, he rushed for 205 yards and three touchdowns on 33 carries for Liberty (15-1) in a 28-21 overtime victory against Bethel Park.
Gonzalez, who is left-handed, visited Florida State earlier this month, but this week informed the Pitt coaches that he wanted to be a Panther. An excellent athlete who runs the 40-yard dash in about 4.5 seconds, Gonzalez had about 30 offers, including Penn State, Missouri, Oregon and Illinois.
Gonzalez's senior season is off to a rough start. He suffered an injured meniscus Sept. 4 and was expected to undergo surgery this week. He will miss at least three weeks.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Morton’s return means Liz leaves
- Cops: Man shoots 11-year-old with BB gun; boy is critical
- Lower Valley observes Memorial Day with parades, services
- Pirates reassign Liz to make roster room for Morton
- Rossi: After L.A., NFL should tread carefully
- Acme man’s ephemeral sculptures appear to defy laws of physics
- Couple attempts theft at North Huntingdon Wal-Mart
- Police charge Allentown teen for beating, holding ex-girlfriend at gunpoint
- Early success in White House race a pleasant surprise for Carson
- Kennywood fanatic, 82, rides Jack Rabbit 95 times in a row
- Wrong-way driver causes head-on crash in Center