Richmond runs past host Duquesne
College Football Videos
David Gonzalvez scored 19 points and Kevin Anderson added 18 to lead Richmond to an 80-68 victory over Duquesne tonight at Palumbo Center in the Atlantic 10 Conference men's basketball opener for both teams.
Richmond shot 50 percent (13 for 26) from 3-point range and was 7 of 12 in the second half. Duquesne shot just 3 for 20 (15 percent).
The loss was the third in four games for Duquesne (9-6, 0-1).
Ryan Butler (14 points), Justin Harper (12) and Dan Geriot (11) also scored in double figures for Richmond (12-4, 1-0), which also has beaten BCS conference teams Florida, Mississippi State and Missouri.
Two of Richmond's four losses are against BCS conference teams South Carolina and Wake Forest, which needed overtime to beat the Spiders.
Gonzalvez moved into 10th place all-time on Richmond's scoring list with 1,429 points.
The game marked the return of Duquesne sophomore guard/forward Melquan Bolding, who had missed 13 games with a broken wrist, suffered in the opener against Nicholls State on Nov. 13.
Bolding, who scored 25 points in the opener, an 85-62 victory, struggled to find his range, finishing just 1 for 6 shooting, including 0 for 2 from 3-point range. He played a total of 14 minutes and scored three points to go with two rebounds.
Bill Clark scored 18 points to lead Duquesne. Damian Saunders finished with 16 points and 13 rebounds, his 12th double-double of the season, and Sean Johnson and B.J. Monteiro added 12 points each.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- In reworking contract, Steelers WR Brown gets hefty pay raise
- Steelers trying to get missing defensive pieces on field
- Cole struggles as Brewers continue Miller mastery over Pirates
- Steelers running back eager to prove he can help bridge gap to Bell
- 22-month-old boy shot, killed in North Side; stepfather charged
- Student violinist,Valley School of Ligonier reach settlement
- Western Pa. played role, was transformed by victory in World War II
- Youngstown State looking for repeat performance against Pitt
- Allegheny County CYF worker arrest on child pornography charges
- Pirates notebook: 6 September call-ups include first-timer Diaz
- Alleged Mon Valley heroin trafficker arrested