Richmond runs past host Duquesne
College Football Videos
David Gonzalvez scored 19 points and Kevin Anderson added 18 to lead Richmond to an 80-68 victory over Duquesne tonight at Palumbo Center in the Atlantic 10 Conference men's basketball opener for both teams.
Richmond shot 50 percent (13 for 26) from 3-point range and was 7 of 12 in the second half. Duquesne shot just 3 for 20 (15 percent).
The loss was the third in four games for Duquesne (9-6, 0-1).
Ryan Butler (14 points), Justin Harper (12) and Dan Geriot (11) also scored in double figures for Richmond (12-4, 1-0), which also has beaten BCS conference teams Florida, Mississippi State and Missouri.
Two of Richmond's four losses are against BCS conference teams South Carolina and Wake Forest, which needed overtime to beat the Spiders.
Gonzalvez moved into 10th place all-time on Richmond's scoring list with 1,429 points.
The game marked the return of Duquesne sophomore guard/forward Melquan Bolding, who had missed 13 games with a broken wrist, suffered in the opener against Nicholls State on Nov. 13.
Bolding, who scored 25 points in the opener, an 85-62 victory, struggled to find his range, finishing just 1 for 6 shooting, including 0 for 2 from 3-point range. He played a total of 14 minutes and scored three points to go with two rebounds.
Bill Clark scored 18 points to lead Duquesne. Damian Saunders finished with 16 points and 13 rebounds, his 12th double-double of the season, and Sean Johnson and B.J. Monteiro added 12 points each.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins GM prepares for emotional series against Carolina
- PIT wants non-passengers allowed past security to shop
- Greensburg police captain to attend highly selective academy
- Youngwood gets 1st full-size grocery in nearly 20 years
- Prison phone cost to drop 70% in Pa.
- Aerobics center offers services to Greensburg VFD
- Historic Greensburg Art Center joins Cat’s Meow collection
- Amusement parks fight off home entertainment threat
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger says Saints game is ‘must win’
- Police identify driver in North Side crash that killed pregnant woman
- Firefighters extinguish fire that damages 6 cabs at Yellow Cab Co.