Pitt's Mason may not play against Miami
College Football Videos
» Sophomore middle linebacker Dan Mason, demoted to second team last week, may not play against Miami, according to coach Dave Wannstedt. Max Gruder is starting at middle linebacker, and Tristan Roberts will make his first career start at weak-side linebacker. Greg Williams will move to strong-side linebacker. When asked how the Panthers will use Mason, who was in Jason Douglas' car during a recent arrest, Wannstedt said, barring an injury or some other factor, "I don't know if we will. As of right now he is not on the depth chart as a starter, and he's not starting on any special teams," Wannstedt said.
» The job for right guard remains up in the air. Starter Greg Gaskins is listed ahead of sophomore Ryan Turnley, but perhaps only for now. Turnley played the second half of Pitt's 38-16 victory over New Hampshire on Sept. 11 after starting left guard Chris Jacobson sustained a twisted left ankle. Gaskins has struggled in his first year as a starter. "Right guard is a position where the competition is probably a little more active," Wannstedt said. "Greg knows that. We are trying to get the best player on the field, and right now it really hasn't been solidified."
» Pitt plans to play both Dion Lewis and Ray Graham against the Hurricanes. Graham rushed for a career-high 115 yards and two touchdowns on only nine carries against New Hampshire, while Lewis was held to a career-low 27 yards. Wannstedt said there is no set ratio of carries for each back heading into the game. "If we get the hot hand, we will probably play the hot hand," Wannstedt said.
» The Florida International-Pitt game Oct. 2 will start at 3:30 p.m. at Heinz Field and will be aired on ESPN3.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Steelers stopping themselves with suspensions
- Golfer’s body found in lake at Moon country club
- Pirates turn nifty double play in 9th, edge Marlins
- Steelers’ Martavis Bryant facing four-game suspension
- Volunteers restore stands at former Duquesne football field
- West Mifflin Community Day returns to airport grounds
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle mulling rotation options
- Homicide charges filed gainst Pittsburgh man in Munhall man’s death
- Mon-Yough water line upgrades will lead to more reliable service
- Animal Rescue League, miffed at Vick signing, moves gala from Heinz Field to Consol
- Franklin Regional stabbing suspect Hribal to head to adult prison after Oct. 1