Wannstedt: Saturday's game will be a physical test
College Football Videos
» Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt said Wednesday his team has a huge test this weekend at Syracuse. For the Xs and Os, it's about toughness. "This is going to be tough sledding this week, and we know it," Wannstedt said. "It's going to be as physical a game, without a doubt, as we've had all year. You start getting ready for a game like that yesterday. Every week is a new test for you in some fashion from a game-plan standpoint. This is going to be from a physical standpoint, we'll find out how tough we are this week."
» The Panthers have improved offensively, but Frank Cignetti Jr. isn't pleased with red-zone production. "What I would like to see is more points on the board," he said. "When you get into the red zone, you've got to score touchdowns. You can't be settling for field goals. I think it always comes down to execution. I'm a believer in percentages, and sooner or later, we're going to start making those plays."
» Pitt quarterback Tino Sunseri said the noise in the Carrier Dome shouldn't be much of a problem, mostly because he'll be too focused to be distracted. "Whenever you're on the field, you really don't hear it at all," Sunseri said. "You kind of zone it out. You're concentrating so hard reading defense, (the noise) is like a blank in your head. After the play, you're hear the crowd in the huddle."
» Wannstedt is feeling much better about Sunseri, particularly after his 56-yard touchdown throw to Jonathan Baldwin last Saturday. "Tino was very confident on what we were trying to do," Wannstedt said. "I thought he made progress. I don't think he would have scrambled to find Jonathan Baldwin in Week 1. You a make play like that on the road, and it carries more meaning from a confidence standpoint."
» Syracuse junior defensive end Mikhail Marinovich missed practice Tuesday. Coach Doug Marrone said Marinovich has a stomach bug that shows no indication of having any other players.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Heyl: This dress is a steal
- Starkey: Would one big move kill Pirates’ future?
- Penn Township man seeking gun permit accused of bringing heroin to courthouse
- GNC revenue, sales drop, but vitamin retailer says plan in place
- 3 men to stand trial over runaway Latrobe foster children
- Attorney had broad range of private, public clients
- Peduto offers ray of light to understaffed Pittsburgh building bureau
- Giant Eagle provides assistance to fight proposed Wal-Mart in McCandless
- Connellsville roundup: Mill Run leads series 2-0
- Newsmaker: Brian Stein
- Greensburg roundup: Hempfield East Junior Legion advances at regionals