Maryland cornerback Coates verbally commits to Pitt
College Football Videos
Cornerback Marchez Coates put an exclamation point on a busy summer when he made a verbal commitment to attend Pitt.
Coates, who is entering his senior season at McDonough High School in Pomfret, Md., traveled to eight camps in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, South Carolina and North Carolina and he earned MVP honors at each, McDonough coach Luke Ethington said.
"I'm not a big combine guy, but I think that does say something about the young man's athletic ability," he said.
Coates, 5-foot-11, 172 pounds, had offers from Pitt, Eastern Michigan and Robert Morris, but Ethington said Kansas State, Penn State, Miami, Tennessee and TCU made recent inquiries. He expected more to follow this season.
"But he was ready to make his commitment," Ethington said, "and Pitt was where his heart was."
Coates is Pitt's 11th recruit from the class of 2012.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- 12-year-old’s donated heart joins families, lets her memory live
- Kin of 2013 DUI crash victim in Hempfield lose young family in fire
- Connellsville native Stafford remembered for her generosity
- Rossi: Steelers’ season all about going big
- Pittsburgh police officers start wearing video cameras
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- City Theatre offers sweet, supportive take on Shanley’s ‘Outside Mullingar’
- Demand for hazmat suits due to Ebola outbreak triples firm’s production
- For all but 2 minutes vs. Steelers, Texans played ‘pretty good game’
- Pa. Congressional candidates hear about wide range of issues, concerns