Maryland cornerback Coates verbally commits to Pitt
College Football Videos
Cornerback Marchez Coates put an exclamation point on a busy summer when he made a verbal commitment to attend Pitt.
Coates, who is entering his senior season at McDonough High School in Pomfret, Md., traveled to eight camps in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, South Carolina and North Carolina and he earned MVP honors at each, McDonough coach Luke Ethington said.
"I'm not a big combine guy, but I think that does say something about the young man's athletic ability," he said.
Coates, 5-foot-11, 172 pounds, had offers from Pitt, Eastern Michigan and Robert Morris, but Ethington said Kansas State, Penn State, Miami, Tennessee and TCU made recent inquiries. He expected more to follow this season.
"But he was ready to make his commitment," Ethington said, "and Pitt was where his heart was."
Coates is Pitt's 11th recruit from the class of 2012.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Rutherford hits jackpot with Kessel
- Rossi: Wild Wednesday proves Steelers rule
- Penguins notebook: Rutherford proves savvy in deal
- 2B Walker, Pirates smash through Tigers pitching in road victory
- Penguins get their man in making trade with Toronto for Kessel
- Pirates notebook: Cole cool about hostile comment
- Another Lincoln Way project set to begin in White Oak
- McKeesport council approves sewage treatment plant lease
- Brewster among senators proposing new fireworks legislation
- New Kensington residents rally in support of 82-year-old robbery victim
- Judge revokes bail for Plum High School teacher