Pitt tinkering with backup QB at tight end
College Football Videos
Pitt backup quarterback Anthony Gonzalez has been practicing with the tight ends for the past two days.
"I called him Slash today," coach Todd Graham said.
Graham explained that Gonzalez's first position remains quarterback, and the redshirt freshman from Bethlehem Liberty High School played exceptionally well behind center in the team's first scrimmage Sunday.
But Graham added: "We think he is too good an athlete to be sitting over there as the third-team quarterback. We were somewhat impressed. We are going to use him in a dual role."
» The most distressing news of camp is the injury to starting wide receiver Devin Street. Graham stopped short of calling it a concussion, telling reporters that it's a "bell-rung deal." But Street hasn't appeared at practice — even just to watch — since suffering the injury in a drill Monday morning.
"He's recovering," Graham said. "It's just going to be a process. He didn't get a lot of sleep (Monday night), and we just wanted to have somebody monitor him and let him get some rest today. It wouldn't do any good (for Street) to go out there and stand in the sun."
» Wide receiver Cameron Saddler and cornerback K'Waun Williams missed practice for the second consecutive day after suffering head injuries. Saddler said he hopes to return Wednesday.
"I'm tired of watching people make plays," he said. "I want to make plays myself."
» The Pitt/Notre Dame game is set for a noon kickoff Sept. 24 at Heinz Field. It will be televised nationally by either ABC, ESPN or ESPN2.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Komen acceptance of drilling-linked money raises ire
- Linebacker Harrison coming along slowly since return to Steelers
- Steelers notebook: Shazier returns just in time
- Monsour hospital properties sold at free-and-clear sale
- Penguins notebook: Carcillo has no hard feelings after failing to make roster
- Critics claim state Attorney General Kane puts politics first
- Pens look to buck shots, goals trend
- Ferrante trial: Cyanide order form in plain sight
- Pitt puts focus to test in jumbled ACC Coastal race
- Zappala impersonation suspect arrested; stores offered reimbursement
- Penn State seeks recruiting win in ‘whiteout’ game