Pitt coach Graham talks up freshman RBs
College Football Videos
Pitt coach Todd Graham praised freshman running backs Corey Davis, Isaac Bennett and Malcolm Crockett after the morning session Wednesday.
"Those kids are special," Graham said after allowing them to work with the first team. "They keep getting better every single day."
Davis and Bennett each had an 80-yard run from scrimmage. On another play, Davis hit the hole hard and would have made a nice gain in real time. The significant part of that play• New H-back Anthony Gonzalez threw a solid block.
"Corey is fast, really fast, more in the mold of what (starting running back) Ray (Graham) is," the coach said. "Isaac is a big (5-foot-11, 190), physical downhill runner. Crocket is an every-down (back)."
Don't expect those three to take many plays from Ray Graham and Zach Brown, but Todd Graham did allow that 5 to 10 snaps per game is a possibility.
» Head injuries have been a problem through the first nine days of camp, and Todd Graham said the most seriously injured of the group — wide receiver Devin Street — isn't ready to return.
"I wouldn't expect Devin back for a few more days," he said.
Meanwhile, wide receiver Cameron Saddler returned on a limited basis.
» Inside linebacker Shane Gordon has returned from a head injury he suffered when he slammed into Ray Graham last week.
"I banged my head a little bit, but that's nothing," he said. "At linebacker, you play the game dizzy half the time, anyway. It was just a little headache. Nothing serious."
» The NCAA has granted cornerback E.J. Banks, a Montour graduate, immediate eligibility after transferring from Notre Dame.
"He had a hardship, having to be one of the primary caregivers to his mom, and (the NCAA) granted the waiver based on that," Graham said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates can’t waste McCutchen’s prime
- East Huntingdon man dies following police chase
- Giants, Bumgarner shut out Pirates in wild-card game
- Pirates’ Martin calls crowd chant ‘petty special’
- Steelers pressing to create opportunities to get to quarterback
- Consol Energy cutting retiree health benefits, phasing out pension
- Steelers notebook: Mitchell aware of need to reduce penalties
- Woman dies in fall at McConnells Mill State Park
- Highmark to increase premiums, limit access to health care in new plans
- Penguins’ Sutter is determined to keep scoring pressure on
- Search for pilot of ultralight aircraft to resume Thursday