Pitt freshman receiver released from hospital
College Football Videos
Freshman wide receiver Darrius Patton was released from UPMC Presbyterian on Friday after passing out at practice Thursday.
"We are very pleased that things are going well and he is doing well," coach Todd Graham said.
Patton had been making progress on the field in his freshman season, Graham said.
"It was tough getting used to the physicality," he said of the 170-pound Patton. "Guys are a little bigger than what he was used to playing against. Then, he really came on."
» Pitt will break training camp today, with a scrimmage that is closed to anyone outside the team. One of Graham's goals will be to limit penalties. With game officials visiting practice yesterday, Graham said there were 14 instances of illegal procedure. "We are just making sure we don't beat ourselves," he said.
» Freshmen running back Corey Davis, Malcolm Crockett and Isaac Bennett are competing for the few carries Ray Graham and Zach Brown won't get. Look for Davis to be first in line.
"We are going to have a hard time not playing Corey Davis," Graham said, "because he has such big-play capabilities."
» Graham said he is also impressed with a variety of other freshmen, including cornerbacks Lafayette Pitts and Lloyd Carrington and linebackers LaQuentin Smith, Nicholas Grigsby and Ejuan Price. In terms of who gets on the field first, Graham said it may happen in this order: Price, either Pitts or Carrington and Smith.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Tomlin lived in his fears
- W.V. entrepreneurs offer hope as coal fades as economic engine
- Founder of Z&M Cycle Sales in Hempfield killed in Florida motorcycle crash
- Slain St. Clair officer walked into ‘worst nightmare’ for police
- Ex-recreation director settles age discrimination lawsuit against Pittsburgh
- 7 percent in Allegheny County allowed to carry concealed gun
- Mentor takes young Brackenridge hunter under his wing
- Increasing player salaries pinch financial flexibility of Pirates
- Field conditions could play factor for Clairton in PIAA quarterfinals
- Penguins’ reshuffled top line of Crosby, Dupuis, Kunitz looks familiar
- 2,200 union employees of ATI lose coverage