Pitt guard Jacobson could miss Notre Dame
College Football Videos
Pitt senior left guard Chris Jacobson, who left the Pitt-Iowa game in the fourth quarter, is day-to-day, according to coach Todd Graham. If Jacobson can't play Saturday, sophomore Cory King will make his first career start.
King (6-foot-6, 325 pounds) was part of the training camp audition for a starting job.
"He has got to be ready to go," Graham said. "He worked his tail off all summer long, and we've got a lot of confidence that he can come in and get it done if he needs to."
» Sophomore Devin Street, coming off a career-best seven-reception, 138-yard performance against Iowa, looks to continue a streak of big games by Pitt receivers against Notre Dame. Jon Baldwin totaled 14 receptions for 253 yards and two touchdowns in the past two seasons against the Irish.
"He's a long guy that can run," Notre Dame safety Harrison Smith said of Street. "He's got a lot of talent. He has good hands and he can make a lot of things happen. Last year Baldwin was their big target, and that's kind of what they are looking at from (Street)."
» Pitt has forced only two turnovers — fewest in the Big East — but the Panthers could get some opportunities against the turnover-plagued Fighting Irish.
Notre Dame has turned the ball over 13 times this season, including five apiece in losses to USF and Michigan. Five of those turnovers came inside the opponents' 20-yard line, with four inside the 10. Notre Dame is last in the nation in turnover margin (minus-2.67 per game).
"We're not taking advantage of opportunities," Pitt defensive coordinator Keith Patterson said. "We've got to pick it up."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Syrian border town emerges as pivot point in Islamic State fight
- District roundup: Slippery Rock beat IUP, snaps losing streak
- Upcoming Western Pa. auctions include paintings, pottery, coins
- Mini goes mainstream
- CDC’s misinformation spreads faster than Ebola virus
- Robinson: Rooney retains North Side roots
- Young watchmaker pursues lifelong fixation
- Luck runs out for fugitive ‘Jinx’ Law
- Patron alerts store employees to burning Rostraver building
- Road Trip! Destination: Chicago
- Inappropriate dress wears thin in schools, courts, jails, elsewhere