RMU shuts down La Salle in Philly tourney
College Football Videos
PHILADELPHIA — Velton Jones scored 14 points Friday to lead Robert Morris to a 51-44 victory over La Salle in the Philly Hoop Group Classic at the Palestra.
Jones, the Colonials' leading scorer, was 4 for 15 from the floor for the Colonials (4-1). Russell Johnson added 12.
Robert Morris shot just 28.0 percent — 14 for 50 — but managed to win anyway.
"It's certainly not going to go to the Naismith Hall of Fame," coach Andrew Toole said. "They are not going to request a tape — that's for sure. But there are no pictures of the scorecard at the end of the year. It's just wins and losses."
With 15 points, Sam Mills was the only player in double figures for La Salle (2-3). He hit two 3-pointers but missed five other attempts. La Salle was 3 of 22 from beyond the arc, including 1 of 10 after halftime.
Robert Morris outrebounded La Salle, 45-30, including a 15-7 edge on the offensive glass. Earl Pettis, who scored 22 points in Tuesday's 73-69 loss at No. 17 Pitt, shot 1 for 11.
Robert Morris is next to visit Petersen Events Center, arriving Sunday.
"We are going into the mindset that we are going to win the game," Jones said.
No. 17 Penn State 66, Iowa State 59 — In Reno, Nev., Maggie Lucas scored 18 points, including six in the final minutes, to boost Penn State in the opening round of the Nugget Classic.
Lucas matched her season high to lead three Penn State players in double figures. Zhaque Gray scored 14 points and Alex Bentley had 13. The Nittany Lions (4-1) will play Nevada (2-2) today for the championship.
West Virginia 63, No. 25 UCLA 54 — In Northridge, Calif., Taylor Palmer scored 18 points to lead West Virginia (3-1) in the first round of the Thanksgiving Classic.
Rebekah Gardner scored 19 points to lead the Bruins (2-2).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates trade for Mariners’ Happ
- Armstrong escapee caught; murder charges pending
- Heyl: Longtime disc jockey Jimmy Roach to turn dismissal into brighter times
- Experimental Ebola vaccine could stop virus in West Africa
- Pirates’ Burnett endures another poor start in blowout loss to Reds
- Inside the Steelers: Rookie linebacker Chickillo continues to excel
- Steelers’ reserve quarterbacks vie to secure spot behind Roethlisberger, Gradkowski
- Pirates bolster bullpen by trading for former closer Soria
- Judge rules McCullough guilty of taking money from elderly woman’s estate
- Starkey: Garoppolo baffles Steelers
- Steelers stress improved conditioning in attempt to play past injuries