RMU shuts down La Salle in Philly tourney
College Football Videos
PHILADELPHIA — Velton Jones scored 14 points Friday to lead Robert Morris to a 51-44 victory over La Salle in the Philly Hoop Group Classic at the Palestra.
Jones, the Colonials' leading scorer, was 4 for 15 from the floor for the Colonials (4-1). Russell Johnson added 12.
Robert Morris shot just 28.0 percent — 14 for 50 — but managed to win anyway.
"It's certainly not going to go to the Naismith Hall of Fame," coach Andrew Toole said. "They are not going to request a tape — that's for sure. But there are no pictures of the scorecard at the end of the year. It's just wins and losses."
With 15 points, Sam Mills was the only player in double figures for La Salle (2-3). He hit two 3-pointers but missed five other attempts. La Salle was 3 of 22 from beyond the arc, including 1 of 10 after halftime.
Robert Morris outrebounded La Salle, 45-30, including a 15-7 edge on the offensive glass. Earl Pettis, who scored 22 points in Tuesday's 73-69 loss at No. 17 Pitt, shot 1 for 11.
Robert Morris is next to visit Petersen Events Center, arriving Sunday.
"We are going into the mindset that we are going to win the game," Jones said.
No. 17 Penn State 66, Iowa State 59 — In Reno, Nev., Maggie Lucas scored 18 points, including six in the final minutes, to boost Penn State in the opening round of the Nugget Classic.
Lucas matched her season high to lead three Penn State players in double figures. Zhaque Gray scored 14 points and Alex Bentley had 13. The Nittany Lions (4-1) will play Nevada (2-2) today for the championship.
West Virginia 63, No. 25 UCLA 54 — In Northridge, Calif., Taylor Palmer scored 18 points to lead West Virginia (3-1) in the first round of the Thanksgiving Classic.
Rebekah Gardner scored 19 points to lead the Bruins (2-2).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Monroeville oxycodone dealer to spend 10 years in prison
- Steelers won’t negotiate Roethlisberger extension until after season
- Federal judge denies Spanier bid to halt criminal case
- Steelers cut linebacker Kion Wilson, sign cornerback Toler
- Small plane crashes near Grove City; pilot in critical condition
- South Fayette High School backs out of federal lunch program
- LaBar: John Cena leaving WWE for Hollywood?
- Fewer riders on Port Authority’s Access van program in 2013
- Belle Vernon man accused of providing cocaine to teens
- Five questions facing Steelers entering training camp
- Rossi: Johnston must reach Malkin in Moscow